Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a P3D Red/White w/FSD on August 5th. Today is week 6 of waiting.

Received the "2 weeks" text on Saturday morning.

Saw my SA on Saturday evening, I'm there almost every weekend with the family shopping at the mall.

He said that I should have my car before the end of the month and that they will honor the paint and interior upgrade incentives.

Since my family won’t be using my car for road trips I declined the free Supercharger incentive.

Having to wait up to 8 weeks really sucks. But getting an additional $3k off the car makes it better.

Just looked and it seems that I have been assigned a VIN!

Ordered: 08/05
VIN via source code: 09/16
No delivery date yet.

So, there's good news and bad news with the delivery of my M3P this afternoon - which seems to just be the way it is with Tesla. The car has 5 miles on it.

First, the good news - the car drives great (for the 2 miles I drove it) and doors, trim, etc. seem to line up as they should. The delivery experience was pretty basic but acceptable, but unfortunately that leads to the bad news.

Paint problems galore across the entire rear of the vehicle. There are paint drips across the entire rear bumper. It looks like it was re-sprayed in a parking lot. There are various things embedded in the paint, paint drips, and evidence that it was taped and painted over. There are also some slight dings in the paint on the hood but the PPF/tint shop that I work with can take care of those. The passenger side rim also has road rash.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. I'm still waiting for Tesla to officially address it in writing. I called the shop and they asked me to email pictures to them. I'll be asking for a new 20" rim and a full repaint of the rear bumper.
left_rear_quarter_panel_paint_drips.jpg
right_rear_quarter_panel_drips_and_tape.jpg
right_rear_reflector_tape_and_cracks.jpg
rim_road_rash.jpg
rim_road_rash_2.jpg

So, there's good news and bad news with the delivery of my M3P this afternoon - which seems to just be the way it is with Tesla. The car has 5 miles on it.

First, the good news - the car drives great (for the 2 miles I drove it) and doors, trim, etc. seem to line up as they should. The delivery experience was pretty basic but acceptable, but unfortunately that leads to the bad news.

Paint problems galore across the entire rear of the vehicle. There are paint drips across the entire rear bumper. It looks like it was re-sprayed in a parking lot. There are various things embedded in the paint, paint drips, and evidence that it was taped and painted over. There are also some slight dings in the paint on the hood but the PPF/tint shop that I work with can take care of those. The passenger side rim also has road rash.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. I'm still waiting for Tesla to officially address it in writing. I called the shop and they asked me to email pictures to them. I'll be asking for a new 20" rim and a full repaint of the rear bumper. View attachment 455644 View attachment 455646 View attachment 455647 View attachment 455648 View attachment 455650

damn sorry to hear that. Doesnt seem to be transport damage as it just arrived to you that way..

Wow, your delivery date went away? Was that date showing in the online system or something communicated to you directly by someone at Tesla?

Communicated by email and on the website. Got a call the weekend (three days) prior to the 10th that it was delayed to the 3rd week of Sept. I expressed my disappointment. The caller acknowledged my disappointment.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. I'm still waiting for Tesla to officially address it in writing. I called the shop and they asked me to email pictures to them. I'll be asking for a new 20" rim and a full repaint of the rear bumper. View attachment 455644 View attachment 455646 View attachment 455647 View attachment 455648 View attachment 455650
Sorry to hear that news. That's absolutely unacceptable. Was hoping that quality issues were all / mostly ironed out, but this is definitely a crap situation. Good luck resolving the issues and getting the car you deserve (and waited for).

How did a car with those issues get past internal inspection before it landed in your hands? I wouldn't think those things are "within spec."

Interesting that people are reporting getting comped paint/interior upgrades after having a VIN, or even at the delivery center. My sales contacts are absolutely insistent this cannot be done. They said they "asked the manager" if I can have free supercharging added and that I'm in some kind of approval queue.

Very inconsistent. I wish Tesla just wouldn't do this stuff to be honest.

Reactions: photonphil
How did a car with those issues get past internal inspection before it landed in your hands? I wouldn't think those things are "within spec."

That's a very good question.

Pay very close attention to your cars when you pick them up. The Rockville, MD delivery center has pretty low light out in the delivery bay. I didn't see this stuff until I was up the street at the PPF installers bay with good light.

Why did you accept it?

• Disagree
Reactions: GOOCHY
UPDATE: SO HAPPY!

Called my SA today to check on the status of my 08/23 order LR AWD MSM/Black AP 18" Areo. He said California wouldn't be getting a shipment of vehicles until 09/24 and it's going to be MASSIVE shipment. He then placed me on hold and came back with the "Stealth" Model P3D—(Might not be correct abbreviation) was mysteriously in-stock as he just checked yesterday and saw nothing. He matched me immediately and gave me a $2,500/off for paint/wheels + (2)year SC. So I just got a P3D for 1k more, WOOT!!

Data Points:
Original Order: 08/23 LR AWD MSM/Black AP 18" Aero - Delivery Date Unknown!
Matched Order: 09/16 LR AWD Performance MSM/Black AP 19" Sport Wheels - Delivery Date 09/20 (WOOT)
VIN: 5YJxxx (not sure what's safe to put here)

Questions: Please attach/point me in the right direction I apologize!
1. Can I swap out the 19" wheels for 18" wheels?

UPDATE: SO HAPPY!

Called my SA today to check on the status of my 08/23 order LR AWD MSM/Black AP 18" Areo. He said California wouldn't be getting a shipment of vehicles until 09/24 and it's going to be MASSIVE shipment. He then placed me on hold and came back with the "Stealth" Model P3D—(Might not be correct abbreviation) was mysteriously in-stock as he just checked yesterday and saw nothing. He matched me immediately and gave me a $2,500/off for paint/wheels + (2)year SC. So I just got a P3D for 1k more, WOOT!!

Data Points:
Original Order: 08/23 LR AWD MSM/Black AP 18" Aero - Delivery Date Unknown!
Matched Order: 09/16 LR AWD Performance MSM/Black AP 19" Sport Wheels - Delivery Date 09/20 (WOOT)
VIN: 5YJxxx (not sure what's safe to put here)

Questions: Please attach/point me in the right direction I apologize!
1. Can I swap out the 19" wheels for 18" wheels?
Wait if there are no deliveries until Sept 24 to socal. How is your delivery date the 20th? Btw congrats. You somehow got an order for p3d- but was able to use the incentives for 2500 off a p3d? That's pretty sweet