Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perpendicular Park into Garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried perpendicular parking (auto reversing) into a garage?

I think autonomous summon/unsummon is cool and all, but that has to be lined up to work. I would be willing to paint lines in my garage if I could get it to reverse itself into my parking space! :tongue:

I thought of this as well and figured it would be a cool way to get into my garage since my driveway winds down to the garage but alas the parking needs cars on either side of it, I actually haven't been able to test out either autopark routine, I generally park pretty far away from other cars so I don't have many opportunities to park between them.

I'd love to autopark into the supercharger stall as well, I guess only possible if you are between to other Teslas

I think autonomous summon/unsummon is cool and all, but that has to be lined up to work. I would be willing to paint lines in my garage if I could get it to reverse itself into my parking space! :tongue:

Finally got 7.1, tried it, would not perp park into my empty garage; The [P] never came up. Summon also has trouble getting up the lip to my garage. Perhaps a future update will allow us to train the car the park in our everyday parking spots. Until then...

You'd have to be able to drive past your garage with the garage door open and then hope that the car recognizes the open parking space. Not sure that it would being that it would be enclosed and maybe not recognized the same as what it's been programmed to look for in an open parking lot. Would mean your driveway would have to extend well to each side of the garage so you can drive sideways relative to the garage and past your garage door. Not too many driveways that I'm aware of like that.

Not impossible, but probably not likely that it will recognize the spot with the current programming.

My observation: As you drive past the sensors are scanning objects to the side. When it sees object / no object the size of a parking space / object, it presents the "P". Also, if the space between the two objects is considerably larger than a parking space it will not present the auto park option. So, if you have a large garage door, in theory you could place two objects towards the front to create the appearance of cars.

I've gotten the car to perpendicular park between a car and a parking garage pillar. It didn't care about the lines at all--only the space between the two objects.

Auto stall parking is based on obstruction sensing. Painting lines will not help because S don't have side view cameras:cursing: