Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for the introduction of SentryMode in all AP2.0 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are comparing apples and oranges here.

Sentry mode is built on top of the TeslaCam mode, not on the various driving related safety features.

AP2.0 cars don’t have the ability to support the TeslaCam and hence no Sentry mode.

What you are really asking for is a completely different code path to provide Sentry mode on AP2.0 in a different way to AP2.5....

This isn’t a measure of ability to deliver driving safety features, it is just an indication that it would involve a non-trivial amount of effort to deliver the same feature in a different way for AP2.0...

That's not "entirely" true, since prior to 19.x it wasn't using the B unit, it was all running on the same single processor, so it wasn't until the 19.x stuff where they started saying hey we have this completely unused processor over here let's start using it!

It should be possible after the AP3 upgrade to existing cars.

Not if it's only a computer upgrade... APH2.5 has a different wiring for the rear cam and the cameras are all grey scale, and tesla seems unwilling to do the work needed to color correct the images ( interpolation ), so I wouldn't hold my breath for sentry on APH3 from APH2. Heck, i'm not even holding my breath for an AP2 -> AP3 upgrade, they'll find some reason / way to get out of it.

Or install BlackVue cameras and get a lot better sentry capabilities than you'll ever get from Tesla.

Does it have alarm feature or just recording after you get back to the car? And it doesn't notify you on the phone right? Also I don't think Tesla Service Center is friendly toward BlackVue, but it could be just my local service center. I took our Model X in for service a few weeks ago because the auto present door was not opening. I described to the service advisor the problem, she immediately told me "if you have a 3rd party dashcam plugged it, it won't work." I don't get the logic of that, but since I don't have one, I just told her I don't have any. Without even going to check my car, she continued to say "if you have any 3rd party accessory plugged in, it won't work." Again, I said I don't have anything plugged in. And then she finally agree to keep the car have a tech look at it the following week because they are too busy.

Does it have alarm feature or just recording after you get back to the car? And it doesn't notify you on the phone right? Also I don't think Tesla Service Center is friendly toward BlackVue, but it could be just my local service center. I took our Model X in for service a few weeks ago because the auto present door was not opening. I described to the service advisor the problem, she immediately told me "if you have a 3rd party dashcam plugged it, it won't work." I don't get the logic of that, but since I don't have one, I just told her I don't have any. Without even going to check my car, she continued to say "if you have any 3rd party accessory plugged in, it won't work." Again, I said I don't have anything plugged in. And then she finally agree to keep the car have a tech look at it the following week because they are too busy.

It doesn't have an alarm feature, but it most definitely alerts you and sends you push notifications. You can also click live view and view your car surroundings real time at any time. Oh and it actually warns you if it can't write to the memory card so you'll know when it's not working unlike Tesla when you need to pull it out to see if you actually got the footage you wanted.

That's not "entirely" true, since prior to 19.x it wasn't using the B unit, it was all running on the same single processor, so it wasn't until the 19.x stuff where they started saying hey we have this completely unused processor over here let's start using it!

That was also where they added two more video streams, so I think it is safe to say that as currently implemented it isn't possible to use the same code path to deliver on 2.0 hardware...

I would love for them to implement as a Beta mode (is Sentry on 2.5 considered Beta or full feature?) with the caveat in release notes that the images may be of obscure/B&W quality. Failing that, I would even take a faux Sentry mode complete with the graphic and reactionary movements (MCU display of HAL 9000) and the music... even if it's not capable of recording.

To add on to that, would love the faux Sentry mode to just send a push notification if it "thinks" something is happening.

Forward the following to Elon Musk:

#SentryMode4AP20
Please add „Sentry Mode“ to all AP2.0 cars, also because of this:
Tesla Sentry Mode catches deliberate attack against Model 3, vandal arrested
I think people keeping mixing up FSD and missing features like sentry mode or MCU2

Sentry mode or MCU2 has NOTHING to do with FSD

Today when u order FSD, it gives you NOA, Autopark, Summon, traffic light and stop sign recognition and response, and auto driving on city street

If u have EAP today, u already have some of the features. If u paid for FSD, u will eventually get the missing features on the LIST. U WON’T get sentry mode or MCU2 upgrade even if U get free HW3 upgrade. Sentry mode is NOT a FSD feature.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Sentry mode as much as other AP2 owners, and I am pissed at Elon because he initially promised AP2 would get it.

The reality is that we probably won’t get it because of the hardware and wiring differences.

I hope I will be proven wrong

Well then, that just DOES IT!
I hereby DEMAND a refund on my ‘39 Fiat cuz the new ones all come with BLUETOOTH!!!
U should stopped making fun of the AP2 owners who want sentry mode

Elon was the one saying it would come to AP2+ cars. Not us.

Elon was the one screwing up, not us.

U don’t see AP1 owners complained about it because Elon never made such promise to AP1 owners.

Stop generalizing us like a bunch of idiots who feel entitled.

I can’t wait to see when new features only apply to HW3 owners, let’s see how many AP2.5 owners start complaining. They are now reasonable and “civilized “

Last edited:
U should stopped making fun of the AP2 owners who want sentry mode

Elon was the one saying it would come to AP2+ cars. Not us.

Elon was the one screwing up, not us.

U don’t see AP1 owners complained about it because Elon never made promise to AP1 owners.

Stop generalizing us like a bunch of idiots who feel entitled.

I can’t wait until when new features only apply to HW3 owners, let’s see many AP2.5 owners start complaining. They are now reasonable and “civilized “
Relax doc, I am talking Fiats not feelings, sorry if your feathers were ruffled.

Relax doc, I am talking Fiats not feelings, sorry if your feathers were ruffled.
Sorry if I overreacted

However, as Tesla owners, we need to demand Elon to be accountable for his words. He made so many empty promises that pissed off many loyal customers. We, the early adopters, are the ones making Tesla today.

Again, we are not asking him to keep rolling out features to all old cars. But promise is promise. Once he makes it, he better keep It.

In fact, if he apologizes for his misstatement, I am sure many AP2 owners would be ok with it

Also, we can’t compare Tesla to other cars. Tesla is being promoted differently. OTA is a feature we bought. It is not a bonus. Having new features from OTA should be expected. We don’t need to glorify it.

Granted we can’t expect every new feature comes to every old cars. Good faith effort and clear communication is all we ask

Reactions: RedOctober
Sorry if I overreacted

However, as Tesla owners, we need to demand Elon to be accountable for his words. He made so many empty promises that pissed off many loyal customers. We, the early adopters, are the ones making Tesla today.

Again, we are not asking him to keep rolling out features to all old cars. But promise is promise. Once he makes it, he better keep It.

In fact, if he apologizes for his misstatement, I am sure many AP2 owners would be ok with it

Also, we can’t compare Tesla to other cars. Tesla is being promoted differently. OTA is a feature we bought. It is not a bonus. Having new features from OTA should be expected. We don’t need to glorify it.

Granted we can’t expect every new feature comes to every old cars. Good faith effort and clear communication is all we ask

Yeah, to be honest I think Elon himself has either forgotten some of his own conflicting info, or realized that his many Tweeted goals can be confusing or can create unintended expectations from rabid fans, especially those who have only entered his communications outlet midstream thereby losing contextual reference since they knew nothing of Tesla prior to gaining interest in the brand. Plus we're only human, right (unless you're Elon, haw)?

Anyway I think I may be more comfortable than some because I am speaking from the platform of having a financial "escape" if something better comes along since I am leasing. As a lessee I have already capitulated to the fact that I am "losing" some money up front vs outright purchase, since I know what my buyout is at the end and have the option of keeping the car.

This becomes especially true if the S is discontinued or significantly changed, and then they find out that the new version is not exactly flying off their lots for whatever reason, thereby causing the original S's to become more sought after. If this props up the value of used S's whereby it matches or betters my lease-end residual, then I'd simply buy it out. But if not, then I retain the option of turning it back in and getting the latest "best for me" EV out there, whatever brand it may be. Kinda like the car being on financial "Autopilot".

#SentryMode4AP20 hashtag on Twitter

This Model X with AP2.0 was getting Sentry Mode

#SentryMode4AP20.jpg