Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PGE true up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Have had solar for several years. Eight months ago added three power walls.
Last true up without power all credit of $60. With four months to go I owe $470!
wondering why it appears I am going to owe more now with power wall than before without.
I have application set to matchy PGE rate plan and use battery power from 4 to 9 peak cost time.
Usage hasn't changed only thing I can think of is atmospheric rivers we have experienced meant more clouds less sun.

Anyone else have a similar experience with true up?

While that is true, this is I have not been this "in the red" when just using solar without battery storage.
But thank you for your response.
Thanks to the reliability of our grid, I am very grateful to the power walls and the sooth transition by Tesla intelligent switch. It's truly amazing

Upvote 0
interesting as you should have been better with PWs using them during peak. My first year with PWs I went from owing $150 at true-up to a negative $900, but I was very aggressive with the PW reserve setting usually at 30%. Following year, I changed to 70% (and 100% during storms). Now I should hit about zero true up.

Have you compared your solar production year over year?

Upvote 0
interesting as you should have been better with PWs using them during peak. My first year with PWs I went from owing $150 at true-up to a negative $900, but I was very aggressive with the PW reserve setting usually at 30%. Following year, I changed to 70% (and 100% during storms). Now I should hit about zero true up.

Have you compared your solar production year over year?
I will at true up. I set reserve for 40 percent. Storm watch automaticly sets it to 100 percent when storm is coming

Upvote 0
Hi
Last true up without power all credit of $60. With four months to go I owe $470!
wondering why it appears I am going to owe more now with power wall than before without.
I have application set to matchy PGE rate plan and use battery power from 4 to 9 peak cost time.
Usage hasn't changed only thing I can think of is atmospheric rivers we have experienced meant more clouds less sun.

My guess is the fact that your true up dates have changed (when you installed powerwalls) from whatever it was before, to whatever the date is when you installed.

If your true up date previously was in, say February (like mine) it means that at the beginning of my true up year, I almost always start off with a negative true up balance at the utility (SCE in my case) because march, april, may are the best generation months where I am, with great sun, and lower temps and not much use of AC.

If My true up date changed to october (for example) I would start my true up year off when I was pulling a ton from the grid, running my AC all the time, etc and would quickly have a positive number that would not be erased until I got back around to march, april, may.

So, my guess is, you have "4 months to go" which are the best generation months for basically anyone in CA, so you are likely to erase that number. You are likely seeing it because your true up date changed.

Just a guess.

Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
Hi

The Powerwalls are consuming about 0.23kWh/day or in your case 0.69kWh/day or 252 kWH for the year that is about $88 in lost credits @ $0.35. You will also lose 10% of the amount that you discharge due to inefficiencies on recharge, so discharging 10 kWh/day would mean another 365 kWh aren't being exported or $128. You can make it this up and more with rate differentials between Peak/Off-Peak rates which are the highest during the summer months.

The larger variable is all of the rain we have been having over the last 4 months. For Dec-Mar 22-23, my production was down 15% compared to 20-21 and down 13.4% for 21-22.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0