Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…the PB issues seem to affect Vision only cars

This is not true. The term “phantom braking” can be found thousands of times on this forum, going back years before the vision-only cars.

Currently, your personal experience with NOA/TACC is dependent upon where you drive, and the specific conditions. The PB’ing isn’t a random bug, it’s a misinterpretation of the AP sensor data. Some people never see the problem at all, and others find it unusable. YMMV

Reactions: WhiteWi
Not sure how to answer your question as I am not sure what the difference is between lane keep and active steering but I think I would describe it as active steering. All I know is that when its engaged it keeps my set speed, or slows if a car is in front of me, and it also steers to keep us in the lane. As with Tesla, you need to keep your hand on the wheel or it will alert you after a minute or so with it off.

With that said, its not perfect but does a great job. It just sometimes struggles when there is a big enough bend in the road but that is my only complaint. From what I have read and understand, Tesla cars would handle these bends much better which is something I am excited to try out.
Lane assist, lane keep usually ping pong you between lane markers (not active steering), active steering car is actually keeps you in the middle of the lane and steers for you even during turns (not 90 degree turns). Tesla auto steer is the best in the business.

Reactions: Fourdoor
This is not true. The term “phantom braking” can be found thousands of times on this forum, going back years before the vision-only cars.

Currently, your personal experience with NOA/TACC is dependent upon where you drive, and the specific conditions. The PB’ing isn’t a random bug, it’s a misinterpretation of the AP sensor data. Some people never see the problem at all, and others find it unusable. YMMV
Right...I guess I didn't word it correctly. I have been on this forum for a long time and was well aware of PB way before the vision only cars started rolling out. However, the complaints seemed way more isolated and infrequent as it didn't affect everyone. But now the complaints seem to be ramping up as more and more Vision only cars get delivered. At least it seems that way to me as someone that spends way too much time on this forum. lol

Lane assist, lane keep usually ping pong you between lane markers (not active steering), active steering car is actually keeps you in the middle of the lane and steers for you even during turns (not 90 degree turns). Tesla auto steer is the best in the business.
Yeah so its probably active steering as it doesn't ping pong between the lane markers and does a great job of keeping the car in the middle of the lane. I fully expect Tesla to be much better with the auto steering (minus the PB) in situations where there is a bend in the highway which the Telluride struggles with. Can't wait to try it out.

While phantom braking had been happening to Tesla before vision only, I have experienced less and less of it since 3 years ago on both of my Model X and Model 3. Now I rarely get a phantom braking. I think these new batches of posts do have something to do with vision only. It makes sense that new software needs more testing and newer cars without radar are the beta testers! I just hope they don't roll the software to the people who got radar h/w until it is working better.

I am not saying vision only AP doesn’t have problems, Tesla is working on it and it will be fixed. If they weren’t confident in their system they wouldn’t pull the trigger on radar. Do you think they want this to fail and potentially tank their company? Give them a time to collect the data and to train the NN.

A whole lot of assumptions there. You are assuming:

1. Tesla doesn’t make mistakes (in making a change they know they can handle)
2. Tesla will make this right no matter what (ie, if they can’t get vision to work they will retrofit radar for thousands and thousands of vision only cars)
3. Tesla can fix this in a timely manner.
4. Vision only is 100% feasible currently.

I won’t give odds good or bad on any of those. I don’t see anything wrong with some healthy skepticism (especially when spending this much money on a car). I certainly will go skeptic long before blind faith. I also don’t see anything wrong with cautioning people of what they might be getting into either. This is absolutely better than insisting they will not have a problem at all because internet lies.

Further - this is all skipping past the fact that tesla should not be “beta testing” core car functionality on all customers. They have thousands of willing beta testers (thousands are still waiting to be allowed to beta test), there is no reason to subject all owners to a frustrating driving experience when they have willing beta testers.. other than indifference and/or hubris.

More suspect: allegedly only US 3/Y customers face the vision only issue. Why? If tesla is so confident here why only that sub section of vehicles? Why do the upper end cars still get radar? It’s okay to ruin the experience for the bottom feeders but not the S/X?

/shrug. You can certainly continue to assure people this is just FUD and they should buy anyway. I would not do that myself without first hand knowledge of many recent deliveries (and even then I would be hesitant to say anyway. who wants to give potentially false assurances to anyone about a large purchase??).

I have a radar car that works. I have no severe phantom braking issues (or even mild ones really). I signed up for the FSD beta the day before yesterday. I have a 99 driving score. If I get into the beta, go “vision only” and I report major problems with phantom braking will this still be dismissed as marginal / not directly related to vision only? Or will it be assumed that I am now lying or exaggerating?

I am mainly doing this because I have a car on order and I want to know what I am getting into with vision only. But, at least I can also give some feedback here for others as well.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I find this thread very interesting; It seems that if this was an ICE BMW, MB, Lexus. etc, etc....those with this problem would be all over the dealer for repair time table, a loaner car, and most importantly some type of compensation, especially in this price range....no?

So where is the disconnect?

Reactions: SalisburySam
A whole lot of assumptions there. You are assuming:

1. Tesla doesn’t make mistakes (in making a change they know they can handle)
2. Tesla will make this right no matter what (ie, if they can’t get vision to work they will retrofit radar for thousands and thousands of vision only cars)
3. Tesla can fix this in a timely manner.
4. Vision only is 100% feasible currently.

I won’t give odds good or bad on any of those. I don’t see anything wrong with some healthy skepticism (especially when spending this much money on a car). I certainly will go skeptic long before blind faith. I also don’t see anything wrong with cautioning people of what they might be getting into either. This is absolutely better than insisting they will not have a problem at all because internet lies.

Further - this is all skipping past the fact that tesla should not be “beta testing” core car functionality on all customers. They have thousands of willing beta testers (thousands are still waiting to be allowed to beta test), there is no reason to subject all owners to a frustrating driving experience when they have willing beta testers.. other than indifference and/or hubris.

More suspect: allegedly only US 3/Y customers face the vision only issue. Why? If tesla is so confident here why only that sub section of vehicles? Why do the upper end cars still get radar? It’s okay to ruin the experience for the bottom feeders but not the S/X?

/shrug. You can certainly continue to assure people this is just FUD and they should buy anyway. I would not do that myself without first hand knowledge of many recent deliveries (and even then I would be hesitant to say anyway. who wants to give potentially false assurances to anyone about a large purchase??).
You are assuming a lot yourself. Tesla will do what they want just like Apple does and moaning minority will have no say on what company will do until sales will show them otherwise. That is what I see fudsters trying to do here, to push don’t buy narrative and report Tesla to Government so it will be forced in to submission and to stop any kind of innovation.

I have a radar car that works. I have no severe phantom braking issues (or even mild ones really). I signed up for the FSD beta the day before yesterday. I have a 99 driving score. If I get into the beta, go “vision only” and I report major problems with phantom braking will this still be dismissed as marginal / not directly related to vision only? Or will it be assumed that I am now lying or exaggerating?

I am mainly doing this because I have a car on order and I want to know what I am getting into with vision only. But, at least I can also give some feedback here for others as well.
Two different things. City driving and hwy driving at least right now. Two different systems at use. (Speaking of FSD beta)

I find this thread very interesting; It seems that if this was an ICE BMW, MB, Lexus. etc, etc....those with this problem would be all over the dealer for repair time table, a loaner car, and most importantly some type of compensation, especially in this price range....no?

So where is the disconnect?
Can you point to examples of that happening? I've posted before, while other forums don't tend to call it "phantom braking" when the same problem happens, the response is pretty much the same from the dealer that "it is what it is". The manuals have enough disclaimers that occasional unnecessary slowing/braking from ACC is not considered a defect.

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay

Reactions: WhiteWi
Can you point to examples of that happening? I've posted before, while other forums don't tend to call it "phantom braking" when the same problem happens, the response is pretty much the same from the dealer that "it is what it is". The manuals have enough disclaimers that occasional unnecessary slowing/braking from ACC is not considered a defect.

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay
Exactly the benefits outweigh the quirks. Any way I am done here. Enjoy the phantom of the opera peps.

My Oct 2020 build 21’ model Y with radar had significantly less phantom braking events than my new October 2021 model Y vision only build. So far it seems like a big step back in autopilot quality and capability.
Every time I see a thread/post like this, it reaffirms the decision to change my order in May from VO to "existing inventory" with radar was the right one.

Reactions: shpatb
I have a radar car that works. I have no severe phantom braking issues (or even mild ones really). I signed up for the FSD beta the day before yesterday. I have a 99 driving score.

It is done.

I got into the beta and updated my firmware. I immediately took teh car out for a drive, and five minutes later my car saw a shadow and phantom braked off the road into a ditch. The car immediately caught fire (because that's what EVs do). But I was trapped in the car because of all the panel gaps and couldn't get out! Lucky for me the glass roof blew off (because it wasn't installed properly) and I managed to get out before the entire car exploded.

I reported this catastrophe to my local service center but they said the car explosion was "within spec".

It is done.

I got into the beta and updated my firmware. I immediately took teh car out for a drive, and five minutes later my car saw a shadow and phantom braked off the road into a ditch. The car immediately caught fire (because that's what EVs do). But I was trapped in the car because of all the panel gaps and couldn't get out! Lucky for me the glass roof blew off (because it wasn't installed properly) and I managed to get out before the entire car exploded.

I reported this catastrophe to my local service center but they said the car explosion was "within spec".
that could be the best post on tmc

I am not saying vision only AP doesn’t have problems, Tesla is working on it and it will be fixed. If they weren’t confident in their system they wouldn’t pull the trigger on radar. Do you think they want this to fail and potentially tank their company? Give them a time to collect the data and to train the NN.
I think they “pulled the trigger” on radar due to parts shortages, and they probably did it too soon.

Reactions: Falcon73
I have a 6 month old MY with 17k miles, no FSD. I use AP and TACC almost continuously and rarely have issues (a couple of times per week)? Either it has gotten better over time, or I have gotten better at automatically disabling it when it is going to get itself into trouble. The car is a joy.

And no, I’m not a fanboy… and I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit over FSD in a few more years. 🤑
I forgot to mention above that my Y is NO RADAR.

No complaints about AP/TACC.

Paint/clearcoat quality is a whole other story though…

I am not saying vision only AP doesn’t have problems, Tesla is working on it and it will be fixed. If they weren’t confident in their system they wouldn’t pull the trigger on radar. Do you think they want this to fail and potentially tank their company?

How about "no" on that one? An ethical company would perfect a system before unleashing it on public roads and using their customers as Beta testers. I predict your response to this will be "Don't buy a Tesla if you don't want to be a Beta tester".

Keith

PS: I also predict that when someone expresses hesitation about buying a car when they will be an unwilling Beta tester you will give a thumbs down to their post.