Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm well aware that it needs to be turned off each time you drive the car.

Not attacking you, your original post read like you might not have known this. I've had the same similar issues though. I know it isn't something you would typically notice while your car is slamming on the brakes, but there should be a pop up saying "Emergency braking in progress". If you aren't seeing that message then the AEB system is not being engaged. Again, I'm not doubting this happened to you it just isn't caused by the AEB system.

My Subaru Ascent's Eyesight has never phantom braked me, not even once!
Hmmm strange then what is this about?
“The lead plaintiffs, all current and former Subaru owners, say that EyeSight technology suffers from a number of dangerous vehicle safety defects. These defects allegedly cause the lane assist function in Subarus to engage without reason, as well as the automatic braking system.”

• Funny
Reactions: laservet
Hmmm strange then what is this about?
“The lead plaintiffs, all current and former Subaru owners, say that EyeSight technology suffers from a number of dangerous vehicle safety defects. These defects allegedly cause the lane assist function in Subarus to engage without reason, as well as the automatic braking system.”
No idea. I had an Outback and now the Ascent. I've driven all around the Western US and Western Canada with Eyesight. I love the adaptive cruise control. It's never suffered from Phantom Braking, not even once. I use it on country roads as well. No issue. The only thing it does is shut itself off when there's heavy fog or heavy rain, since it's an optical system. I also have adaptive cruise on my F450 dually. I use adaptive cruise all the time when pulling our big fifth wheel. No issues with adaptive cruise on that truck.

My Subaru Ascent's Eyesight has never phantom braked me, not even once!
I won't say never, but it's very rare. Maybe a handful of times over the nearly five years and 100K miles I've driven the Outback. It's way less intrusive than my Model Y's, but the Tesla is superior in nearly every other way. I do wish I had the ability to switch to dumb cruise control on some of the roads I drive on daily.

To be fair I have phantom braked at least once that I recall. My friend sure was surprised. He said I handled it really well if that oncoming vehicle had been drifting into our lane...but it totally wasn't. 😂

Dark two lane road at night (and I was tired). Sounds like good conditions for triggering VO ACC phantom braking too!

Had to chime in here. Just took delivery 2 days ago. On my first full day of driving the phantom braking was bad enough I am considering options. I was driving on country roads & 2 lane highways, and basically most oncoming cars caused the braking. A couple instances it was a truck and a van on lane next to me just behind my car. As they sped up it caused the car to freak out. Thankfully not a single time this occurred was there anyone behind me. So I thought not using full autopilot was the key, did not feel to safe with the auto steering anyways. I assume this is the car's accident avoidance that causing this braking on what I hoped would be just a basic cruise control, set speed and just stay at it.

On a daily commute that takes close to 2 hours I just do not see how this is going to work for me. A lot of these roads will be 7-8 miles straight, almost no traffic but occasional car coming opposite. Yet it brakes every single time? This is not just ridiculous, it just does NOT work, period. In 2 days I am already missing my 20 year old car that has just basic cruise control...AND IT WORKED. Camera, radar, I dont care, I just want something that works.

Finally, always annoyed me how range advertised was somewhat misleading. If advised to charge to 80-85%, then actual range is closed to 280. OK, but yesterday I started at 85% giving 280 miles. I drove 83 miles and pulled in to garage with 130 miles left. I am not great with math, sure I factor in cold weather + highway driving. Still...this is going to suck, and glad I did not get rid of my other car (the 2002 with cruise control that just works!)

Sincerely, a none too Happy Tesla owner with deep regrets

Had to chime in here. Just took delivery 2 days ago. On my first full day of driving the phantom braking was bad enough I am considering options. I was driving on country roads & 2 lane highways, and basically most oncoming cars caused the braking. A couple instances it was a truck and a van on lane next to me just behind my car. As they sped up it caused the car to freak out. Thankfully not a single time this occurred was there anyone behind me. So I thought not using full autopilot was the key, did not feel to safe with the auto steering anyways. I assume this is the car's accident avoidance that causing this braking on what I hoped would be just a basic cruise control, set speed and just stay at it.

On a daily commute that takes close to 2 hours I just do not see how this is going to work for me. A lot of these roads will be 7-8 miles straight, almost no traffic but occasional car coming opposite. Yet it brakes every single time? This is not just ridiculous, it just does NOT work, period. In 2 days I am already missing my 20 year old car that has just basic cruise control...AND IT WORKED. Camera, radar, I dont care, I just want something that works.

Finally, always annoyed me how range advertised was somewhat misleading. If advised to charge to 80-85%, then actual range is closed to 280. OK, but yesterday I started at 85% giving 280 miles. I drove 83 miles and pulled in to garage with 130 miles left. I am not great with math, sure I factor in cold weather + highway driving. Still...this is going to suck, and glad I did not get rid of my other car (the 2002 with cruise control that just works!)

Sincerely, a none too Happy Tesla owner with deep regrets

Sorry to hear that, pretty much echoes our experience for 6 months. So don't expect a magic fix anytime soon. Your driving situation was just like ours, lots of 2 lane highways. The system is not usable in those cases we've found as well. Ultimately we got rid of our Y over it.

I see you are in Minnesota, yeah count on 40-50% less than the advertised range in this weather.

Sorry to hear that, pretty much echoes our experience for 6 months. So don't expect a magic fix anytime soon. Your driving situation was just like ours, lots of 2 lane highways. The system is not usable in those cases we've found as well. Ultimately we got rid of our Y over it.

I see you are in Minnesota, yeah count on 40-50% less than the advertised range in this weather.
Agree the phantom braking on 2 lane highways sucks. I'm lucky to not have to drive 2 lane highways much.

For range reduction, my experience was about the same in our Subaru Outback. Got 30mpg summer, 19 winter. And I'm seeing about a 20% reduction in range at 25-30°F and winter tires.

So the range thing I expected. Phantom braking needs to be fixed (or offer a dumb CC option that just goes at a fixed speed).

Reactions: jbarnum
Just drove back from Santa Fe NM to Boulder CO on i25 - divided 2 lane highway. First 80 miles were great - then after charging car i had 4 high speed phantom braking incidents occur in a 1 hour period. Wound up driving the next 300 miles without using autopilot. Again - this was on a divided highway - 2018 model S.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Still waiting on some documented video that Tesla reviewed and gave their opinion vs internet rumorville .
This is the response you get when you attempt to provide Tesla service with video evidence, bug reports, and explanation of the same serious issues in the thread. This is my actual response from Tesla.

Screenshot_20211112-140109.png

You’re of the opinion that those of us experiencing this issue are fabricating it?
not all just few first time posters that jump straight on to the wagon. With unbelievable stories.
Here is one: I was driving on the straight prefect road during sunny day, no cars around and all the sudden my car braked and slowed from 100 to 20 speed of light. I was so lucky to be alone on the road or it for sure would have caused an accident. This is dangerous and Tesla obviously lied to me and everyone. I want dumb cruise for dumb driver and dumb car. Also FSD is scam and should we sue Tesla?
Did I cover it all? Great. Next

If some quirks exist give them time and it will be fixed.

not all just few first time posters that jump straight on to the wagon. With unbelievable stories.
Here is one: I was driving on the straight prefect road during sunny day, no cars around and all the sudden my car braked and slowed from 100 to 20 speed of light. I was so lucky to be alone on the road or it for sure would have caused an accident. This is dangerous and Tesla obviously lied to me and everyone. I want dumb cruise for dumb driver and dumb car. Also FSD is scam and should we sue Tesla?
Did I cover it all? Great. Next

If some quirks exist give them time and it will be fixed.
Well I can tell you that I’ve got 60k autopilot miles under my belt on AP1, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 and almost 1400 posts on this site.

On a clear day driving at 80 MPH on a divided highway that I drive every single day, my car slammed on the brakes to such a degree that the ABS may have even been activated before I could slam my foot down on the accelerator.

This isn’t the cutesy little phantom braking that they’ve been working on since AP 2.0 dropped in 2016, these braking events slammed me into my seatbelt, locking it up to keep me from flying forward. These were damn-near 100% brake applications at high speed for absolutely no reason.

Maybe don’t be so flippant about this. What I experienced has me hovering over the accelerator at all times that AP is engaged now. The behavior didn’t begin until my radar was disabled and I was moved to Vision.

I’m not surprised some people sold their cars over this, it’s terrifying. The possibility of a collision hasn’t been overstated by other posters if my experience is at all representative of what others are experiencing on Vision cars.