Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car just notified me that I can upgrade from 2022.4.5.17 to 2022.8.3. I'm happy with how 2022.4.5.17 has reduced phantom braking so I'm nervous about updating. Anybody want to convince me? 🙄🙄

So my car just notified me that I can upgrade from 2022.4.5.17 to 2022.8.3. I'm happy with how 2022.4.5.17 has reduced phantom braking so I'm nervous about updating. Anybody want to convince me? 🙄🙄

Well, considering we have one report that 2022.8.2 breaks AP and TACC again, I wouldn't do it... If I was mean enough I would encourage you to do it to get confirmation that it sucks... but I am not THAT MUCH of an asshole :)

Keith

Not sure it helps, but I just made that same upgrade this morning. I have only driven around town so far. When using TACC and autosteer in stop and go traffic, the car seems to accelerate faster from a dead stop. This is a good improvement.

The real test is a 650 mile road trip this weekend.

For what it matters, I didn't hesitate to upgrade from 20222.4.5.17 to 2022.8.3. But I'm an engineer ... and I wrote software for many years ... and I couldn`t resist the upgrade.

Not sure it helps, but I just made that same upgrade this morning. I have only driven around town so far. When using TACC and autosteer in stop and go traffic, the car seems to accelerate faster from a dead stop. This is a good improvement.

For what it matters, I didn't hesitate to upgrade from 20222.4.5.17 to 2022.8.3. But I'm an engineer ... and I wrote software for many years ... and I couldn`t resist the upgrade.
I'm a software guy too, and it's very hard not to upgrade. But I've really been enjoying the car without the phantom braking...

Reactions: CaseyL

Does the road trip involve long stretches of driving on two lane rural highways?

Keith

Personal take on software updates is that every update is an opportunity for Tesla to screw up my car... the car does everything I want it to do now, so I will be deleting my home wifi from the MYP... when I see that there is an update that increases the max speed on AP from 80 mph to 90 mph I will re-configure my home wifi onto the car and do an update and hope that it doesn't break AP and TACC. If that update goes well, I will once again delete my home wifi from the MYP and not do any more updates.

Keith

..so I will be deleting my home wifi from the MYP... when I see that there is an update that increases the max speed on AP from 80 mph to 90 mph I will re-configure my home wifi onto the car and do an update and hope that it doesn't break AP and TACC. If that update goes well, I will once again delete my home wifi from the MYP and not do any more updates.

Keith
When I got model Y it got 1st update within a day. I didn't have WiFi in the garage yet. I clicked ok to update and Tesla updated version without WiFi. It refused to update games and GPS maps until I provided WiFi connection. Deleting WiFi may not bock the updates.

Running 2022.8.2 - this version appears to be much better with TACC and AP on two lane roads - large trucks and semi's don't PB or alert the car anymore! The only PB I experienced was when the road kind of disappears and the car didn't know what to do. Now, night time driving is a different story but at least it appears TACC and AP is back to being usable again!

Running 2022.8.2 - this version appears to be much better with TACC and AP on two lane roads - large trucks and semi's don't PB or alert the car anymore! The only PB I experienced was when the road kind of disappears and the car didn't know what to do. Now, night time driving is a different story but at least it appears TACC and AP is back to being usable again!
In all fairness to AP/TACC, judging distances, etc is much harder at night. Humans have a harder time, too.

Reactions: DrGriz
Personal take on software updates is that every update is an opportunity for Tesla to screw up my car... the car does everything I want it to do now, so I will be deleting my home wifi from the MYP... when I see that there is an update that increases the max speed on AP from 80 mph to 90 mph I will re-configure my home wifi onto the car and do an update and hope that it doesn't break AP and TACC. If that update goes well, I will once again delete my home wifi from the MYP and not do any more updates.

Keith
“The enemy of food is better,” right?

In general, the reports for 8.2 seem to be pretty positive but there’s so much inconsistency between individual cars that I get your point.

On minor problem is the warranty requires you to keep the software up to date.

Reactions: PACEMD
Ok - I just got back from a trip and had a 2021 Camry as a rental car. Add that to the list of cars that has a better adaptive cruise than Tesla.

That said, the 'lane assist' feature was pretty bad. It had a hard time staying in the center of the lane and I was constantly correcting it in the end it didn't help much and made the steering feel mushy. On balance I'd rather drive My Tesla and keep my foot on the accelerator while the car does a good job driving than drive the Camry and fight the driving with my foot off the accelerator.

Reactions: DrGriz
I don't drive much on two lane roads, but I did yesterday and I see what others are experiencing. I was in my neighborhood on a two lane well marked road and a pickup truck came around a bend in the road about 150 feet ahead of me. We were both going about 25mph, both were in our lanes and not weaving toward the center line. My Y did a hard deceleration and turned the steering wheel sharply to the right when the pickup was about 100 feet away. My car was nearly stopped when I took over.

Not sure if this is considered pb, depends on how pedantic one chooses to be. It was obvious what triggered it, but the pickup was never threatening. Considering how well the recent update handled the really phantom braking I was seeing daily I would anticipate the car should learn to handle these other situation in time.

I don't drive much on two lane roads, but I did yesterday and I see what others are experiencing. I was in my neighborhood on a two lane well marked road and a pickup truck came around a bend in the road about 150 feet ahead of me. We were both going about 25mph, both were in our lanes and not weaving toward the center line. My Y did a hard deceleration and turned the steering wheel sharply to the right when the pickup was about 100 feet away. My car was nearly stopped when I took over.

Not sure if this is considered pb, depends on how pedantic one chooses to be. It was obvious what triggered it, but the pickup was never threatening. Considering how well the recent update handled the really phantom braking I was seeing daily I would anticipate the car should learn to handle these other situation in time.
People here seem to consider any undesired slowing as phantom braking even when there is a known trigger. It'll probably be more helpful for people to break things down by how much it slowed (1-2 mph, a couple, or 10+, whether brake lights came one, brakes were applied, etc) and if there was a known trigger (some happen when the roads are clear, which seems to match "phantom" braking more).