Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking with Version 10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a Raven S about 1 month ago... it came with V9 and I used it for a couple of weeks prior to upgrading to V10. I was coming from a 2016 S and Autopilot in the new car seemed to be better. Less nagging, seemed smoother and braking felt like more of what a human would naturally do. Once I loaded V10, I get frequent Phantom Braking that occurs. I haven't been able to nail down the conditions, but seems random at the moment. Anyone else experiencing this?

Had almost no phantom breaking on the last v9 firmwares, but now with v10 several overpasses around here cause serious braking. Spilled coffee on my shirt today because of one. Fortunately didn’t brake check anyone there, really hoping this gets better soon.

Had almost no phantom breaking on the last v9 firmwares, but now with v10 several overpasses around here cause serious braking. Spilled coffee on my shirt today because of one. Fortunately didn’t brake check anyone there, really hoping this gets better soon.

I hope you were not driving and drinking coffee at the same time.

I have been around since version 8 (July 2018 Model X) and I have always had phantom braking, and version 10 is no different. It seem to do this with freeway overpasses and strong shadows across the freeway at right angles. Sometimes it seems to be inconsistent but it is pretty steady at some of the freeway merges that I travel through to get to work in the SF Bay Area. One of the areas it is pretty consistent is northbound 238 merging into northbound 880 (in the east bay area of SF, sorry for being so provincial) where there is a lot of traffic and a lot of overpasses. Drives me nuts. But I watch for it.

Another amusing feature of version 10 autopilot is the tendency of the car to "shy away" from traffic that the car is passing, at least that I have experienced. Version 8 and 9 would steadfastly stay in the middle of the lane at all costs, while worrying about the cars and big rigs I am passing... but version 10 will actually shy AWAY from adjacent traffic by 4-6 inches with a noticible "sway" to the side. Also makes me a little unsettled.

I wonder what is going on?

Paaltio, you are from Finland! So far away! When are you coming to visit California?

Paaltio, you are from Finland! So far away! When are you coming to visit California?

I travel to Los Angeles with some frequency actually. It's funny, I just found a picture I took of a Model 3 in Malibu early 2018, completely amazed at the sighting. Had forgotten that. It seemed like a completely alien dream car that I'd never see in Finland. Have the exact same model and color right now here...

Reactions: GSP
Another amusing feature of version 10 autopilot is the tendency of the car to "shy away" from traffic that the car is passing, at least that I have experienced. Version 8 and 9 would steadfastly stay in the middle of the lane at all costs, while worrying about the cars and big rigs I am passing... but version 10 will actually shy AWAY from adjacent traffic by 4-6 inches with a noticible "sway" to the side. Also makes me a little unsettled.

I wonder what is going on?

At least here in Buffalo NY, I’d say 99.5% of people always hug the shoulder when passing on highways. Even two way roads, the on coming traffic tends to stay farther away from the opposite vehicle.
So this “feature” might actually be a more natural behavior?

Of course I have a drink with me in the car sometimes (although rarely), it’s legal and certainly not more distracting that adjusting the wipers on the Model 3. What does this have to do with this topic at all?

Returning to this: You aren’t seriously suggesting people can’t — ahem — drink and drive? :)

A driver with a beverage is a normal thing, no?

It just seemed to me that drinking hot coffee and phantom braking don't go well together. That's all I am saying. ;)

You are saying unexpected actions by Autopilot may be dangerous requiring higher than normal driving care? Well that is true of course.

yes but it is compounded if you are also drinking something because it means that one hand is tied up and can't be used for driving. So you only have one hand that is free for driving if you need to intervene.