Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find a high percentage of my phantom breaking events are GPS related - I can watch the displayed speed limit drop and eventually come back up as the car figures out I am on the highway, not the side road.

Like almost all automation, it faults on the side of safety. Have you heard of a single instance where it picks up phantom vehicles and goes full throttle?

Hitting the brakes on a fast moving, crowded freeway for no good reason is not safe. Have you heard about that?

What do you do for a living, beside posting ridiculous things on forums? You're clearly not an engineer of any kind.

I am.

A properly designed system would be able to detect that a major input for the system is not functioning correctly and it would notify the driver of the problem and return control to driver, not just hit the brakes every time the issue occurs. An extra smart system would notify Tesla service to schedule an appointment with all the details of the problem. It wouldn't require the driver to tell the service department what day/time the issue happened so they could try to look it up.

Last edited:
Hitting the brakes on a fast moving, crowded freeway for no good reason is not safe. Have you heard about that?

What do you do for a living, beside posting ridiculous things on forums? You're clearly not an engineer of any kind.

I am.

A properly designed system would be able to detect that a major input for the system is not functioning correctly and it would notify the driver of the problem and return control to driver, not just hit the brakes every time the issue occurs. An extra smart system would notify Tesla service to schedule an appointment with all the details of the problem. It wouldn't require the driver to tell the service department what day/time the issue happened so they could try to look it up.

Good for you and your credentials.

It's a shame you don't meet the criteria to work for a company like Tesla, to fix the shortcomings a group of some of the best engineers on the planet are responsible for.

I just got the latest update 2020.16.2.1. Took it out for a test run on all of the same roads where I had issues with stop signs. This time it was MUCH better. Also it seemed like Autopilot was better in general. One data point of course but places where it used to stutter and stop way too short it is now braking pretty much like I would. No phantom braking either.

One issue with stop sign stopping is that in a lot of places, the point where you're SUPPOSED to stop is not necessarily far enough out to see if traffic is approaching from the side. This puts you in kind of a sticky situation because when you push on the gas to creep forward and get a better look it disables the stopping and starts to accelerate which is not necessarily what you want.

Not sure how I would address that from a design POV. Possible some sort of creep forward command?

dubious.jpg