Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key and Tesla WC observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the PIN to drive be user specific?

Not as far as I know.

Setting VALET mode disables PIN (if you want to loan the car to someone)

at least the seat will move to my setting

On Model-S (maybe Model-3 too?) you can "pair" the Driver Settings with a specific Key.

Works badly when both "keyholders" get into the car. Supposition is that the setting favours USA left-seat occupant, so in UK it will be "always wrong" when both people in the car.

For those struggling with the BT on their phone, I've found it helps to wake up my phone on approach to the car . I just press the power button on the phone to turn its screen on in my pocket as I walk up. This definitely increases the success rate, tho not to 100% :( (Old one+ 3 btw)

I've also had it work well enough to let me open the boot, but by the time I've deposited my load in there and got to the drivers door its back to 'noooo, I'm in deep sleep, go away' mode. Along with not being able to walk away from the car sometimes with it unlocked but undrivable it can be very frustrating.

i have a partial solution in my wife only using a keycard (partial in that it doesn't annoy her, which makes everything more bearable while waiting for an update), but I can see us ending up with a key fob. Then you are back at the whole faraday cages and relay attacks problems. Which also sucks.

Would there be any benefit/drawback getting the 3-phase cable just in case?

For untethered 22kW public charging, if there's such a thing? If not then you'll be lugging around a hefty bit of copper for no reason. From their blurb...

The charging cable has 5 x 6mm² conductors, allowing 3 x 32A current, which represents a charging capacity of 22 kW. If you have a single charger in your Tesla (which means max charging of 11 kW) you could opt for the 16A triphase version of this cable, which is considerably lighter in weight... It is of course perfectly possible to charge at 16A or 32A, single or 3-phase with this cable!

I see you've a M3. AFAIK, M3s only go up to 7kW single phase and 11kW three phase using the Type-2 plug. You'd need to use the CCS for more.

For point of reference the 4m grey Tesla cable is 3 phase and gives 11kW @ 16A on 3 phase chargers and 32A on single phase. It’s pretty flexible and light.

EDB26DB7-CAA2-489A-B688-1090800479F8.jpeg

Last edited: