Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as key and Tesla WC observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t had those problems, tried restarting the phone and made sure you have the latest app?

I have a widget, had to enable it first

Where did you find / enable the Tesla Widget?

5D97E460-5DEB-4D4B-A39C-0D6F03002995.jpeg

On iPhone swipe left to bring up the 'today' menu. Then scroll right to the bottom and press the small 'edit' button. Then scroll down to the Tesla button and press the green + next to it to add it to your menu.

You can then move it up the list by pressing the edit button again and pressing and holding the three horizontal lines that appear next to the 'Tesla' name and sliding upwards to where you want it.

Just did this myself and moved it to the very top - a much easier way to check the status of your car without having to open the app!

Hope this helps :)

It may be similar to the system my old Prius used, where the fob was a transceiver. It listened all the time for a very low power transmission from the car. In the case of the Prius there were three transmitter antennae, one by each front door handle and one by the rear hatch handle. When the fob detected the car transmission, it would reply with a rolling code that enabled touch unlock/lock to work. I'm pretty sure it used the 868MHz licence exempt band to do this.

Original Model S used exactly this, with the car's continuous transmission on 134 kHz for the proximity detection, and fob transmission on 433MHz (in Europe). And like the Prius implementation, it is vulnerable to relay attack - hence the recent changes to discourage use of the keyless entry, add PIN-to-drive etc. on Model S. It also turns out to be vulnerable to cloning - see this paper.

Reportedly, this keyfob technology (like a number of other systems on Model S) was bought-in from a supplier that also does keyfobs for other brands.

Model X keyfob uses Bluetooth but apparently doesn't support use of phones in place of the fob. I haven't been able to find any info about the protocol used, but it's not surprising: if you want to have a background application on iPhone that wakes up to communicate with a bluetooth device, Apple is very very restrictive about what can cause that wakeup - probably this stuff was too new at the time the Model X was being designed.

Model 3 presumably does function as a standard BTLE beacon - which could have interesting applications in making things happen when your Model 3 arrives in a location.

Thanks for the link that paper, @arg it made fascinating, if slightly worrying, reading. The ability of critical suppliers to make what seem to be fairly fundamental errors never ceases to amaze me. Quite why they chose to use relatively weak cryptography, and failed to just blow the JTAG fuse, seems a mystery, especially given that their clients were selling high value vehicles. Nice to see that Tesla implemented fixes fairly quickly, though.

Reactions: Roy W. and arg
I would like to use “Hey Siri, unlock the car” and “Alexa open Charge port”. I’m sure this will happen soon.
Update: Just successfully added the voice commands to my iPhone to enable me (so far) to Unlock, Lock, Open Charge Port, Open Boot, Open Frunk, Flash Headlights and Honk Horn. This was done by using "Remote for Tesla" app (£9.99) and "Shortcuts" app (£ Free). Just getting into it and made them very simple for now. I will see how I get on to see if I need to change or add features. Now I just say Hey Siri followed by command to carry out function. Watched this YouTube for inspiration.

Last edited:
What's the distance you have to be from the car for it to auto-lock and auto-unlock without touching the phone?

My car arrives next week, and ideally i'd just want to leave Bluetooth on the whole time and not even have to get my phone out to get in/out of the car.

However - at work I sometimes park my car just under the window of my office - so my phone would be about 3m away from the car. Is that safe, will it stay locked unless i'm right next to it? Is it like 1m distance for unlock/lock?

What's the distance you have to be from the car for it to auto-lock and auto-unlock without touching the phone?

Touching? You don't touch anything. As soon as you walk off with your phone (you can stand right next to the car actually) a timer starts, if all bits of the car are closed (doors, boot, frunk) it will lock after about 15 seconds. I think you have to be about 1 meter away before the timer starts so maybe its a signal strength thing. At this point unless you open something it will lock. You can walk 2 meters back then come back to the car and it will lock - phone in hand.

Had that this morning, parked, walked out (driver side door closed), by the time I walked around to the boot car locked.

So I have encountered this problem today. My office is on the front of my house. If i leave my phone on my desk, i can walk outside and unlock the car. Currently i fix this by turning off bluetooth. But it i am looking at RFIDs and API's to fix the problem.
Some time of sensitivity adjustment would be Fantastic.

On iPhone swipe left to bring up the 'today' menu. Then scroll right to the bottom and press the small 'edit' button. Then scroll down to the Tesla button and press the green + next to it to add it to your menu.

You can then move it up the list by pressing the edit button again and pressing and holding the three horizontal lines that appear next to the 'Tesla' name and sliding upwards to where you want it.

Just did this myself and moved it to the very top - a much easier way to check the status of your car without having to open the app!

Hope this helps :)

That’s a really useful tip, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Chalks99 and TM3PTN
What I do find annoying, is that the car seems to prioritise to whoever's phone is in the left seat. So if my wife is a passenger the car will unlock and apply her settings to the driver seat and vice versa.
Anyone else? Or have I screwed up the set up somehow?

Yes, I experience the same.

Sometimes it feels like the car is about to crush me with the seats sliding forward and I have to manually switch to my profile.

I’m generally finding my phone (iPhone 6) is working too well as the car key.

So much so I have to make an extra check so that I don’t the forget the house keys when leaving home. Have had a few near misses with almost locking myself out.

So I have encountered this problem today. My office is on the front of my house. If i leave my phone on my desk, i can walk outside and unlock the car. Currently i fix this by turning off bluetooth. But it i am looking at RFIDs and API's to fix the problem.
Some time of sensitivity adjustment would be Fantastic.
Hi

What phone make/model do you have - you may be able to solve it quickly with an RFID tag by your front door to tap on as you enter/leave.