TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phone-As-Key security question

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by DopeGhoti, Sep 20, 2019.

1. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

When I check the Tesla app from my apartment (which is far enough away from my M3's parking spot for the walk-away-lock to work but close enough for it to get onto my wireless network connection), it says "phone key connected". Does this mean someone could walk up to my car and drive away with it?

2. woof

woof Fluffy Member

Check the 'lock' icon. Is it locked? Then your answer is no.

"phone key connected" just means your phone has bluetooth connectivity, which is NOT the same as being close to the car. The radios can determine how far away they are based on signal strength and ping times. Thus, moving far enough away to have 'walk away lock' lock the car does not mean moving far enough away to lose radio contact.

• Informative x 1
  3. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought was the case, but I just wanted reassurance that I was right.

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

You can also confirm this by leaving your phone at various places in your apartment and then going out to you car to see if you can open the door.

5. 640k

640k Member

honestly you could also unlock your car, leave your phone connected and go to the car and try to drive away and I bet you'll be unable to.