Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone-As-Key security question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I check the Tesla app from my apartment (which is far enough away from my M3's parking spot for the walk-away-lock to work but close enough for it to get onto my wireless network connection), it says "phone key connected". Does this mean someone could walk up to my car and drive away with it?

Does this mean someone could walk up to my car and drive away with it?
Check the 'lock' icon. Is it locked? Then your answer is no.

"phone key connected" just means your phone has bluetooth connectivity, which is NOT the same as being close to the car. The radios can determine how far away they are based on signal strength and ping times. Thus, moving far enough away to have 'walk away lock' lock the car does not mean moving far enough away to lose radio contact.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Check the 'lock' icon. Is it locked? Then your answer is no.

"phone key connected" just means your phone has bluetooth connectivity, which is NOT the same as being close to the car. The radios can determine how far away they are based on signal strength and ping times. Thus, moving far enough away to have 'walk away lock' lock the car does not mean moving far enough away to lose radio contact.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought was the case, but I just wanted reassurance that I was right.