Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Holder Recommendations for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i agree with this, but i think i'm in the minority since majority of the time, my phone remains in my pocket.

iphone automatically connects to the car once i get in and it just plays music that's in my itunes.

navigation..i just use the stock one that came with the car if i need it.
For me it's two reasons....

1) I use Waze every time I drive. I cannot see the screen to know if a cop is sitting and ready to get people if it's on Tesla's charger. I need it at a level that I can quickly glance at while driving. Looking down is just dangerous. Depending on what route I want to take, I'll try to always use the Tesla navigation, but sometimes it doesn't give me the options that Waze does. Waze is my 2nd choice for navigation in my Tesla. It's mainly to save me from tickets. LOL
2) I have a very hard time getting my iPhone to hit that sweet spot on Tesla's charger. It's the most frustrating thing and it's a known issue. I'll have to see if it's different when I get the new iPhone. Until then, I need reliable charging while I drive.

Reactions: fredzos and fsb1
Really loving this gravity phone mount that holds the phone exactly where I want it. Very sturdy without any shaking while driving, as with some other arm extension types I've used in the past. Bolts on via an arm that clamps onto the screen base, and I'm only using one of the two extension arms that it came with.

Seen it listed under a few names online, but got mine on Amazon branded as Howarx. Link HERE.

phone.jpg

phone_2.jpg

Really loving this gravity phone mount that holds the phone exactly where I want it. Very sturdy without any shaking while driving, as with some other arm extension types I've used in the past. Bolts on via an arm that clamps onto the screen base, and I'm only using one of the two extension arms that it came with.

Seen it listed under a few names online, but got mine on Amazon branded as Howarx. Link HERE.

View attachment 990047

View attachment 990048
Nice. I like that location. You can reach it without taking your elbow off the armrest.

I have something similar. With these mounts, many seem to have the same ball mount size so I can switch the phone holder out easily. I have a Pixel Fold, so I don't think this one would work for me. I like this motorized hold one. I also have a gravity one for tablets/fold phones. It's to annoying for everyday use, but for road trips I can have my Pixel unfolded.

I also like this retractable USB-C and iPhone charger.

PXL_20231112_191408721.jpg

View attachment 990047

View attachment 990048
Finally got sick of the wobble and ordered a version of this based on your recommendation. Just installed it tonight. I bought the charging one, but of course the magnet couldn't hold my phone. I just switched to my ball mount motorized wireless charger from my last mount (see one post up). So far, so good. I can't believe they hide a tiny allen wrench IN the arm pieces. Took me a minute to figure that out. With the arm joints very synched it does seem more solid than my last mount. I'll prob order the gravity version for my wife's MY and steal the mount and give her the magsafe one. I went with the shelf as I am always looking for a place to put my glasses. Of course my glasses fit, but not my sunglasses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C8HVN1P5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PXL_20231207_004314083.jpg

Reactions: cosmoworks
I went with the shelf as I am always looking for a place to put my glasses.

I wish I got the one with the shelf too, but it wasn't offered when I got mine. Maybe I'll find a new home for my clamp on one, and get the shelf one like you have. I almost went with magnet too, but ended up with gravity mount. The magnetic charge cable makes it stupid easy for my phone to connect.

Hard to tell from my pic, but you can remove one of those arms. It's super sturdy with only a single extension arm and still holds the phone where I want it. My only real complaint about this mount is the price, but I found nothing else as sturdy, and don't regret my purchase one bit.

Reactions: Noflash
I wish I got the one with the shelf too, but it wasn't offered when I got mine. Maybe I'll find a new home for my clamp on one, and get the shelf one like you have. I almost went with magnet too, but ended up with gravity mount. The magnetic charge cable makes it stupid easy for my phone to connect.

Hard to tell from my pic, but you can remove one of those arms. It's super sturdy with only a single extension arm and still holds the phone where I want it. My only real complaint about this mount is the price, but I found nothing else as sturdy, and don't regret my purchase one bit.
I wasn't able to go to one arm piece. I think the shelf keeps the arm mount more to the right than you have yours. It's surprisingly stable. Much less wobble than my last. And yes! It's pricey at $50. Plus I have to order one for my wife now! Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: cosmoworks
I wasn't able to go to one arm piece. I think the shelf keeps the arm mount more to the right than you have yours. It's surprisingly stable. Much less wobble than my last. And yes! It's pricey at $50. Plus I have to order one for my wife now! Thanks for the recommendation.
No problem! About using just the single arm, I think you're right. I just looked at mine, and it's tilted way towards the drivers side. Good to know that the shelf version with both arms installed is also super stable!

Reactions: Noflash
No problem! About using just the single arm, I think you're right. I just looked at mine, and it's tilted way towards the drivers side. Good to know that the shelf version with both arms installed is also super stable!
After tightening the bolts of the arms with the hidden allen wrench I noticed a tiny wobble from the base of the arm. I had to pry a cap off the back to reveal yet a third size of bolt that I had to go to the toolbox for. Once that was cinched, it has been pretty solid. Hope it keeps up. AND I found out my sunglasses DO fit in the shelf. It actually has a little give, so it flexes to allow in. Anyway - pricey, but good product.

i agree with this, but i think i'm in the minority since majority of the time, my phone remains in my pocket.

iphone automatically connects to the car once i get in and it just plays music that's in my itunes.

navigation..i just use the stock one that came with the car if i need it.
The issue ive had is the car has told me several times to do things that were not possible, left turns in no left turn area, or other directions that caused me to miss turns or have to do something different on the fly. Id prefer to use google maps. While not perfect, google maps has done a much better job overall of routing me. Many times the tesla navigation is fine, but ive had enough experiences where its screwed up that i prefer to be able to see the screen of google navigation.

Keeping the phone in the built in place to hold it, i cant see the directions from there. Its dangerous to try and look down so far away from the road.

Just picked up MYP as a daily driver... I do use WAZE all the time...
What is the reason you guys are using 3rd party phone holders/chargers? is it becasue the center console Tesla charger is slow? just thought if I place phone there, you can still see the navigation as well as police/hazards are announced via Tesla speaker system.
Thank you for the feedback.

Just picked up MYP as a daily driver... I do use WAZE all the time...
What is the reason you guys are using 3rd party phone holders/chargers? is it becasue the center console Tesla charger is slow? just thought if I place phone there, you can still see the navigation as well as police/hazards are announced via Tesla speaker system.
Thank you for the feedback.
You essentially have to pick it up every time you want to see or do something. My holder puts it exactly in my right hand with my elbow on the armrest.