Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues - anyone just throw in the towel and use card or buy fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone as key (pixel 3a) has worked maybe once as a key since I got the car on Sunday. I've resorted to keeping a key card on me and using that almost all the time.

I'm sure there's troubleshooting that I can do like deleting and reinstalling the app, but has anyone just started using the key card all the time or gotten the fob?

It should be so cool, but it's SO FRUSTRATING.

My phone as key (pixel 3a) has worked maybe once as a key since I got the car on Sunday. I've resorted to keeping a key card on me and using that almost all the time.

I'm sure there's troubleshooting that I can do like deleting and reinstalling the app, but has anyone just started using the key card all the time or gotten the fob?

It should be so cool, but it's SO FRUSTRATING.
Happens to me occasionally. Turning Bluetooth off and then back on usually helps.

I was concerned about the distance I need to go to lock the car on walk away so I disabled it on the phone. Use the app for the rest but I was lucky enough to get two key fobs and they work perfectly. It is reassuring to just press the fob once and the car locks. Also quicker and easier to open front, back, doors and charging port (also unlock cable) than to use the app.

I find it is positional. If the phone is in my back pocket, I have to take it out or swing my butt around to be next to the car.
(I have a Pixel 3XL)

There are also some essential Android settings required, because the default Android settings are designed to maximize the battery life of the phone and don't allow the Tesla application to work properly in background mode.

Does the Tesla application always show in your notification bar? If not, you must allow it.

Also suppress battery optimization for the Tesla application.

This discussion is a bit old (Android #8 not #10) but shows most of the solutions:
Android users: phone-as-key FIX

I find it is positional. If the phone is in my back pocket, I have to take it out or swing my butt around to be next to the car.
(I have a Pixel 3XL)

There are also some essential Android settings required, because the default Android settings are designed to maximize the battery life of the phone and don't allow the Tesla application to work properly in background mode.

Does the Tesla application always show in your notification bar? If not, you must allow it.

This discussion is a bit old (Android #8 not #10) but shows most of the solutions:

Thanks - I just tried that setting and I'll see if the thing works when I go to drive home tonight!

(I have a Pixel 3XL)

If my phone is in my back pocket, Galaxy Note 9, I have to do the butt swing as well.

I’ve got a Pixel 3 and it’s worked almost perfectly for both unlock and walk away lock. I carry it in a front pocket. Only once that I can recall I had to switch the phone on and that’s all it took. For some reason when I first got the car in Sep 19 the app chewed through a lot of battery on my phone but that resolved itself after a few days...maybe an app or Android update fixed it. My wife has a Pixel(1) which also works 99% of the time and she carries it in her purse. A few times she has had to take it out of her purse but rarely. Sometimes she has a second or two delay though which is a bit annoying but also rare.

I’ve got a Pixel 3 and it’s worked almost perfectly for both unlock and walk away lock. I carry it in a front pocket. Only once that I can recall I had to switch the phone on and that’s all it took. For some reason when I first got the car in Sep 19 the app chewed through a lot of battery on my phone but that resolved itself after a few days...maybe an app or Android update fixed it. My wife has a Pixel(1) which also works 99% of the time and she carries it in her purse. A few times she has had to take it out of her purse but rarely. Sometimes she has a second or two delay though which is a bit annoying but also rare.

Most recent App update around Thanksgiving broke the app for some Android users, including me. I'm sure will be all better next app update.

I keep my key card in my wallet, positioned against the back so I can scan it without taking the card out of my wallet. I almost never have to use it, but the phone (Samsung Note8) key fails often enough to be annoying. Sometime I just need to try again or turn my pocket towards the car, sometimes I have to toggle BT off and on.