Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key issues since latest app update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?

Reactions: ArchHamster
Thanks Art. This is the default permission set when I reverted to Tesla 4.14.4-1455 (11/30/2022)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222_111151_Permission controller.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222_111151_Permission controller.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
If you are willing to give it a go, I wrote some steps for you to follow. Best case scenario you get the Phone Key working perfectly again and you provide me with a data point. Worst case, it still doesn't work and you get back to the Play Store version of the app and wait until it gets fixed on a future update...

1.- You first need to open the Play Store and click on your profile icon on the upper right corner. There, click on: Manage apps & device.
2.- Next, click on the Manage tab on the upper left, next to the Overview tab.
3.- Find the Tesla app by scrolling on the list of apps and click on it.
4.- Click on the 3 doted menu on the upper right corner and unselect the Enable auto update, or just leave it unselected if that's the case.
5.- Next, click the Uninstall button under the Tesla logo and close the Play Store.
6.- Now, navigate to: Tesla, Inc. APKs on your device's web browser and download whatever older Tesla app version you like.
7.- Make sure you download the "nodpi" version. This way, you don't need to download any additional apps to install it.
View attachment 887870
8.- Once its finishes downloading. Go to your My Files app on your phone and click on Internal Storage and then Download. The Tesla app installer should be right there, click on it and hit Install.
9.- Once its done installing, you can delete the Tesla app installer by pressing and holding on the file and clicking Delete on the bottom right of the screen.
10. Open the Tesla app, Sign back in and configure all your settings as you had them before. Don't forget to grant the Tesla app all the required permissions for it to operate correctly.

Whenever you feel the need to return everything back to the way it was, just perform steps 1 through 4 again, but this time add the checkmark back to the Enable auto update on the Tesla app in the Play Store, this will allow the app to continue updating with every new release of the app.
Thanks! Installed the previous version and phone key is back working! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I believe that starting with 4.14.4 (I might be wrong on this one) and for newer versions, Tesla added the "Nearby Devices" permission request on the app.
This HAS TO BE ENABLED in order for the app to work correctly, but some older versions of the app don't have it.

Just make sure to check the "Nearby Devices" permission is enabled (if the app version you downloaded from the .APK has it).

To check, go to your device's: Settings -> Apps -> Tesla -> Permissions
Or just press and hold the Tesla app icon and click on App info.
I did add the nearby devices to the app.. Still didn't make a difference. Phone key stopped working after 4.14.4-1455

Upvote 0
Downgraded to this version but couldn't get it to work. So annoying. I just carry the fob with me for now since that has no problems.
I never even activated my fobs as I don't want anything else in my pockets. Left pocket is my wallet and right pocket is my phone. I need phone key to work. To make phone key work on that issues, I deleted the previous one and re-added it.

Upvote 0
Ok literally a minute after posting I decided to manually check for a software update on my Fold 4 (Settings - Software Update) and quite crazy there was an update (ATT Dec 22, 2022) I update the phone, lo and behold I go down to the garage and the phone communicates with MX and phone key is added...crazy! Check your phone

Upvote 0
Ok literally a minute after posting I decided to manually check for a software update on my Fold 4 (Settings - Software Update) and quite crazy there was an update (ATT Dec 22, 2022) I update the phone, lo and behold I go down to the garage and the phone communicates with MX and phone key is added...crazy! Check your phone
No update yet on mine.. I'm on T-mobile...
Phone key stopped working again. Worked flawless yesterday with the old version of the app and this morning back to not working.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Flip4. Same issue. 2022 Model S, took delivery in September. All was flawless until Android 13. I will try to roll the app back shortly and see what happens.
Okay this actually worked. We'll see how long it works for. I used version 4.14.3-1431. I did delete the app and disconnected the phone and deleted The Bluetooth connection. Then I added it all back and it worked.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Fold 4 and wife has a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, both running Android 13. Tesla App 4.15.1-1483. Car id a 2022 Model X Plaid.
Since the latest app update, phone key only works 5 percent of the time. I granted all pernissions to the app and all optimization/power savings is off on the phone. Both phones work as key card via NFC but not as phone key most of the time. Reset car and phones multiple times, uninstalled and re-installed app and phone key and still the same issue. Re-installing the key was also a challenge as car couldn't connect to the phone. It works about 5% of the time. It is most definitely related to the latest app update. Anyone here with a Samsung Fold 4 or Note 20 Ultra experiencing thr same issue?
Same exact phone and car as you.....I'm living the peasant life by carrying the card on my person

Upvote 0