Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key range to big?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reply. Im not standing by the window. My desk is there so I have no choice :). I have turned off my BT now so it is a pain not using my AirPods. I don’t believe there is a geofence way on an iPhone. I did consider nfc tags. Will have to try them. Forgot to turn my BT back on tonight so had to mess around with my phone whilst trying to get in the car.

Have you actually tested it opens? My phone app will always say "Connected" when its in Bluetooth range (50 feet) but it will NOT unlock the door unless I am only a few feet away. I am a Android Galaxy s20+.

BTW, Another nice feature of the newer Android phones is you can use them as a "KeyCard". If you enable NFC on your android it will unlock the car like it was a keycard on the b-pillar. Even if the phone is in Airplane mode (no bluetooth, no wifi) it will unlock and you can drive the M3 with a touch of your android phone to the b-pillar. I have verified this with my phone. The phone does have to be powered on. It will not work if if the phone is off/dead. I did NOT have to pair my phone separately as a keycard. it just functioned as a keycard after pairing it as a phonekey.

iPhone users have posted it does not work for them. But I am curious if an iPhone with NFC can be paired as both a phonekey and a keycard to make it work similarly.

Have you actually tested it opens? My phone app will always say "Connected" when its in Bluetooth range (50 feet) but it will NOT unlock the door unless I am only a few feet away. I am a Android Galaxy s20+.

BTW, Another nice feature of the newer Android phones is you can use them as a "KeyCard". If you enable NFC on your android it will unlock the car like it was a keycard on the b-pillar. Even if the phone is in Airplane mode (no bluetooth, no wifi) it will unlock and you can drive the M3 with a touch of your android phone to the b-pillar. I have verified this with my phone. The phone does have to be powered on. It will not work if if the phone is off/dead. I did NOT have to pair my phone separately as a keycard. it just functioned as a keycard after pairing it as a phonekey.

iPhone users have posted it does not work for them. But I am curious if an iPhone with NFC can be paired as both a phonekey and a keycard to make it work similarly.
Yes, i tested it and you can definitely open the doors. At least I have found out now before it gets broken into.

Yes, i tested it and you can definitely open the doors. At least I have found out now before it gets broken into.
I do hate Apple products, but the iPhone 11 is popular right now so if its due to a stronger bluetooth chipset in the iphone, Tesla will likely adjust the RSSI rating for that iphone model in a future update.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I do hate Apple products, but the iPhone 11 is popular right now so if its due to a stronger bluetooth chipset in the iphone, Tesla will likely adjust the RSSI rating for that iphone model in a future update.

I have an iPhone 12, and as I said, if I am in my garage with the phone on a little work table RIGHT in front of the car (less than 2 feet from the frunk), the doors will not open.

/shrug.

I have an iPhone 12, and as I said, if I am in my garage with the phone on a little work table RIGHT in front of the car (less than 2 feet from the frunk), the doors will not open.

/shrug.
There have been issues with Bluetooth security on both the iPhone and the Android. When I got my M3 in June 2020 everything was fine. In September 2020 AT&T sent an update to my Android and it would no longer open the car unless the phones display was awake. (the phone didnt have to be unlocked, just awake). In Jan 2021 AT&T sent a new update to my phone and everything is fine again. I had this discussion with M3 iphone users and they reported similar problems after a phone update.

Out of curiosity is your iphone at the current version? The current version includes Bluetooth security fixes.

There have been issues with Bluetooth security on both the iPhone and the Android. When I got my M3 in June 2020 everything was fine. In September 2020 AT&T sent an update to my Android and it would no longer open the car unless the phones display was awake. (the phone didnt have to be unlocked, just awake). In Jan 2021 AT&T sent a new update to my phone and everything is fine again. I had this discussion with M3 iphone users and they reported similar problems after a phone update.

Out of curiosity is your iphone at the current version? The current version includes Bluetooth security fixes.

Yeah it is. Mine is a "corporate" device so has a bunch of corporate management stuff on there, but its on the latest iOS version.

Mines a 12 pro. The walls to my workplace are paper thin that’s probably why it’s happening. I wonder if it makes a difference which way round the car is in the space. The trunk is near my window at the moment.

2021 TM3 here - the door doesn't unlock with me standing right next to the car with my iPhone X in my back pocket. I have to twist my body or move phone closer to the car before it will allow me to open the door. I ordered the fob (still waiting) because I normally keep that in my FRONT pocket. Assuming that works as planned, I'll disable my phone as a key.

Thanks for the replies. Im going to move the car a couple of spots down. Hopefully that’s just enough for it not to unlock.

I just thought of something. You mentioned that when you are at work, you listen to music with your BT headsets. When you were testing the car, did your BT headsets have an active connection? I think when the BT on the phone is being actively used, the signal is significantly boosted. I would try disconnecting your BT headsets and see if you could still open the door with the phone in your office.

Found this in the Tesla shop that solves the problem.

teslaclub.jpg

Reactions: HellsKitchen