Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our M3 yesterday in Fremont. Got the orientation and the setup/authentication of both of our iPhone 7's. All worked fine. And this morning everything still worked fine. Then after I returned home this am I got an error message on the app saying that the M3 was no longer available. All that shows is my MX. Can find no way to reauthenticate the M3. Tried tossing the app and reinstalling and nothing, just shows my MX. Can't seem to force it to see the M3. Is there something I need to do? And, yes, the Control has remote access enabled.

Fortunately the key card works.

Then after I returned home this am I got an error message on the app saying that the M3 was no longer available. All that shows is my MX. Can find no way to reauthenticate the M3. Tried tossing the app and reinstalling and nothing, just shows my MX. Can't seem to force it to see the M3. Is there something I need to do? And, yes, the Control has remote access enabled.

This is common, the M3 is added temporarily for delivery, then it goes away, and it should come back within 24 hours. (Or you could call Tesla and see if they could speed it up.)

Picked up our M3 yesterday in Fremont. Got the orientation and the setup/authentication of both of our iPhone 7's. All worked fine. And this morning everything still worked fine. Then after I returned home this am I got an error message on the app saying that the M3 was no longer available. All that shows is my MX. Can find no way to reauthenticate the M3. Tried tossing the app and reinstalling and nothing, just shows my MX. Can't seem to force it to see the M3. Is there something I need to do? And, yes, the Control has remote access enabled.

Fortunately the key card works.

This is common, the M3 is added temporarily for delivery, then it goes away, and it should come back within 24 hours. (Or you could call Tesla and see if they could speed it up.)

We have had the car since Thursday (1/25) and the phone key has been the most aggravating part of the ownership experience thus far. Our DS didn't inform us that the pairing that was done during delivery was only temporary. This led to my wife trying to get into the car and failing due to the key pairing not working due to it not being "updated in Tesla's system".

Secondly, it only works intermittently for her. [Note: In full transparency, this may be due to her phone being pretty "buggy"] Every time I have used my phone to access the car it seems to work flawlessly. For the time being I have advised her to always have the key card on her and to not lock her purse in the car if it has the key card in it.

She's the primary driver of the M3 and not very technically savvy. She just wants it to work as advertised every time...like a normal key.

This morning her phone key was not working. I went out to troubleshoot and had to resort to the following process flow:

1. Delete the Tesla app from her phone.
2. Download the app and log in.
3. Reboot the car (did this because initiating the pairing process returned the "car not found" error).
4. Reboot the phone (did this because initiating the pairing process returned the "car not found" error).
5. Initiate the pairing process.
6. Pair the key card/car/phone.

Not blaming Tesla/M3 here exclusively but only making it known that there are some bugs that need to be worked out. One thing that I have become accustom to with my wife that if it can technically go wrong, it will happen to her.