Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PhoneKey doesn't work until app is opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My wife is the primary driver of our Model Y and uses an iPhone 13 Pro Max as her PhoneKey. When she sits in the driver seat and puts the vehicle in reverse, the display asks her to present the keycard to unlock and she can't drive the vehicle. If she then opens the app on her phone, everything works fine. The app already shows "Connected" when she opens it, so it's not as if there is a bluetooth problem or connectivity problem. It's as if the phone is asleep or the app is not connected until she opens the app. We have verified that the Tesla app location is set to "Always".

I have the same phone and have no issues. I just get in the vehicle and start driving. But every time she gets in the vehicle she has to open the app before it will work.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks.

...have no issues...

The problematic phone as a key has been with us since the beginning (past 4 years since Model 3 introduction). It has worked great for some but not for many others in the beginning. Tesla has improved it so most people would enjoy it fine for now but it's still a problem for some.

You can spend time to diagnose and fix it or you just pay $175 for the fob. The fob doesn't have to deal with playing games, music, texting, video conference, and many other tasks. It's just very good and reliable in one single task: Key for your car!

Mine did that for the first time today... Altho I was fiddling with the display before I reversed, and didn't remember seeing the pin prompt showing up.. Either way, I just tapped my phone to the center console, and it worked... (I have an Android tho, not sure if iPhone allows you to do the samething)

My wife has a slightly different but related issue. Her iPhone will continually 'forget' the location setting for the app. It will go from 'always' to 'while using', also resulting in her needing to open the app on her phone in order for the car to unlock.

We've tried signing out/in, reinstalling the app, and I never have issues myself. I'm not sure if this is a app issue or phone issue. It's an iPhone 13 pro.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas to fix it?

Hello,

My wife is the primary driver of our Model Y and uses an iPhone 13 Pro Max as her PhoneKey. When she sits in the driver seat and puts the vehicle in reverse, the display asks her to present the keycard to unlock and she can't drive the vehicle. If she then opens the app on her phone, everything works fine. The app already shows "Connected" when she opens it, so it's not as if there is a bluetooth problem or connectivity problem. It's as if the phone is asleep or the app is not connected until she opens the app. We have verified that the Tesla app location is set to "Always".

I have the same phone and have no issues. I just get in the vehicle and start driving. But every time she gets in the vehicle she has to open the app before it will work.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks.
On the phone, go into Settings > Tesla and make sure both Location, Bluetooth, Local Network, Background App Refresh and Cellular Data are enabled.

Reactions: hcdavis3