Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos/Video from Model X at Teslive Factory Party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the pics Cattledog!

I'm on the fence about the floating screen. I like that it sits above, but for some reason, I see it being hard to clean the outside of it. Seems like a space that would collect a lot of dust and you would not normally notice.

I also do not like the multi piece wheels. The carbon fibre splines look a bit tacky IMO and it looks like the metal splines are a hub and spoke system. I'd like to seem sme other options.

I find the white/black colour scheme to be a bit distracting, this looks more like a show piece (which is fair) than a car. The original X concept looks very elegant. I recently noticed how incredibly rectangular the front doors are. While the shape of a door is by no means a deal breaker, it just feels a little heavy on the function side of things. Probably a lot easier to stamp too.

New Jag

Jaguar-F-Type_2014_1600x1200_wallpaper_93.jpg
Model X rims a.jpg

...This one was white. Many X's now?...

I think they have "rollers" (styling models with no drivetrain.)
On the way to making alpha prototypes they tend to have multiple examples, some able to drive, others not.
Lots of need to experiment with interior designs even just sitting in the design studio.

Unlike other car makers, Tesla builds working prototypes. We got to ride in the Roadster, Model S and Model X on the day they debuted.

I don't know if this is the same car as the gold one but we almost did not get this for one because it had been torn apart after the battery swap event.

When I as down at the Fremont SC yesterday Saturday picking up my S, I got to chat with one of the senior techs. He was involved in getting the white X up from the event to the factory in time for the Teslive party. The white one is #2 and does move/drive (albeit slowly). There was/is some problem with the falcon doors on this unit, and he had to get them into the full open position. This is likely more of an alpha than beta model, and clearly a work in progress.

I can't help but wonder why Tesla is going for such a raked profile on the X. Seems to me they could make it much more of a utility vehicle by adopting a more traditional shape, say like the Mercedes GL, while still keeping sleek styling and great performance.

That said, the only two dealbreakers for me are (possibly): if adults can't fit in the third row, and if it can't tow at least 3,500 pounds (preferably 4000+)
Did you happen to watch the X reveal? I'm pretty sure those were adults that got out of the 3rd row. :wink:

It's raked so it has a reasonable aero profile and doesn't completely kill the range. If they made a Mercedes GL style it would push the 85 kWh battery range down to that of an S's 60 and the 60 down to 40. No, I have no data to back that up. Just guessing, but it's already going to take hit to range due to it being a larger, heavier vehicle that has to punch a larger whole in the wind. What does a Mercedes GL get for mileage?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a proper 2 box design like a wagon or SUV. They just don't play nice with the wind, unfortunately.

Cheers!

Thanks... we are looking forward to it as well but 2015 isn't so bad and not as long as some MS owners had to wait. The big debate now is to upgrade to signature or not... we love the Sig Red but don't necessarily mind having some of the kinks worked out before we get our MX delivered so may just wait and get a non-Sig color given that the color seems to be the main feature based on what occurred with the MS.

Irish - Fun to hear, congratulations on the reservation. We have one too, can't wait (though it looks like we will until 2015...)

That night for our ride I sat in the third row easily . before they closed the Falcon door.

While I am more than adult sized, I keep a childlike sense of wonder.

Wait, so you mean to say you have personally sat in the third row of a Model X??? :p
I'm curious what your height is, how much room (if any) was in front of your needs, what approximate angle your legs made with your upper body (i.e. sitting normally, or knees very high)? And if you happen to have sat in other three-row SUVs, how you would describe the comparison?

Follow up: can you describe the amount of space behind the third row in the Model X?

When I as down at the Fremont SC yesterday Saturday picking up my S, I got to chat with one of the senior techs. He was involved in getting the white X up from the event to the factory in time for the Teslive party. The white one is #2 and does move/drive (albeit slowly). There was/is some problem with the falcon doors on this unit, and he had to get them into the full open position. This is likely more of an alpha than beta model, and clearly a work in progress.

I personally don't think Elon will pull off the falcon doors. They look cool but are not practical for an SUV.

I respectfully disagree--IMHO the falcon doors will be present and functional....

Those doors will be a challenge, but if they can get them not to leak inside the car when it rains as well as pass crash testing they will be sight to see. I think they can pull it off as they are mad passionate about engineering.

Eric, that's my new favorite photograph! Yes, I am easily amused. But the color temperature ?! :wink: ML

Either my CT was way off or they were using Mercury vapor lights. The original was even much more gold.

Sitting in the back seat was fine. Like the second row in a SUV. I could stand up under the door (which was a weird feeling to be in and outside of the car at the same time). I'm shorter that Elon and there are pictures of him standing in it.

Elon recently talked about the doors (I think it was the Norway video (or TESLIVE)). He's gonna do it for no other reason than he wants to have a USP. He seems to have a thing about doors and door handles so no surprise there.