Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Physical size of Model S...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do current owners find the Model S in terms of size? Did you have to adjust to it? Did it complicate things? Were your previous vehicles also large cars?

My old car was a Mazda Miata--definitely at the other end of the size scale--but my other half's car is a small SUV, and we've rented normal sedans and hatchbacks. So while it's been a little bit of an adjustment, it's been fine for me.

The auto-tilt-on-reverse side mirrors (if you have the tech package) are very helpful, IMHO. I'm so glad that finally this feature (which disappeared months ago in a software update for me) was restored to me at my local Service Center today. It's very helpful for many types of parkingparking.

The reverse camera is great for backing into a spot and making sure you don't go over the line (or hit the wall or another car, if you're backing towards a wall or another car).

Overall, I'd say, any car takes getting used to just because they're all different shapes and sizes, mirrors in different places, fronts/back stick out more/less, etc. This one was easier to get used to than I'd feared--really, not a big (ahem) deal.

Here in Hawaii the average car tends toward to be smaller in size compared to the mainland. We also seem to have narrower parking spaces and more straight in parking than diagonal parking compared to the mainland. I've learned to park at the far end of the lots when able so as not to be dinged by the car next to me.

It also took some getting used to making corners with curbs. I was not used to such a long, wide wheel base and dinged my right rear wheel a couple times. I learned to drive forward a touch farther before initiating a right turn and then make a tighter turn when I do.

Parallel parking has actually been a breeze with the S with the tilt rear view mirrors and rear camera.

Bottom line: Minor learning curve but size no problem. Would not let the size of the S deter anyone considering a purchase.

I'm hearing all these reports on how wide the car is. To try to put things in perspective, I put the MS specs next to a Camry's. Although the MS's exterior dimensions were much bigger, and its cargo capacity is 4x greater, the interior was the same if not smaller than a Camry's. My question is this, when you're inside the car, does it really seem all that spacious?

I'm hearing all these reports on how wide the car is. To try to put things in perspective, I put the MS specs next to a Camry's. Although the MS's exterior dimensions were much bigger, and its cargo capacity is 4x greater, the interior was the same if not smaller than a Camry's. My question is this, when you're inside the car, does it really seem all that spacious?

I would say yes, because of the interior design. I just got back from four weeks of renting a Ford Mondeo (Fusion) in Europe, which is about the same size as a Camry. My Model S felt very spacious when I got back.

It feels spacious to me, but I've only ever been in the front seat (driver and, rarely, passenger). I took 3 in the back once, though, and I got the impression they had enough room.