Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick-up truck scratched my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I parked my car in a parking garage for a shopping center. I was in one of those spots was in a corner, where cars make a right turn. And that was the problem, the guy scraped the front bumper of my car while making a right and didn't have enough clearance to avoid my car.

Thankfully he waited around for me to come back, left a note, and he wanted to make things right. And I did my best to keep calm in a shitty situation and work with the guy, not trying to get angry at him, so he will hopefully follow up and keep his word on fixing my car on his dime.

He hopes it can be buffed out, which is kinda not the thing I wanna hear from someone who hit me. But if a professional says it can be buffed out, then I am fine going that route. Also he says he owns a cell phone repair business, so I hope he is saying that from a logical point of view. But nothing is set yet, I guess will have to bring it to the body shop tomorrow and see what they say, if it can be buffed out or not, hopefully it will be a reasonable cost so I'm not bankrupting the guy, but still getting my car fixed to the extent of his fault.

He was very genuine and stayed with me for 10-20 minutes, telling me about himself and exchanging phone numbers. I don't know what will happen, he could always run off, but I think he won't do that, especially that he came forward and told me of the bad news.

And since he did come forward, I wanna do my best to not freak out and find the best solution for both parties. Hopefully not an expensive fix, but also hoping he will claim through his insurance if the worst is to happen. I don't really care too much, to me the Tesla is just a tool to get around, I hate being someone that needs the car to be perfect. Being a perfectionist over a car is just stressful, you can't enjoy it, or use it the way it should be.

Kinda lame I parked in a way to avoid getting dinged by the other car door, but then now side swiped by a car that was too long and didn't have enough turning clearance. I kinda wish he didn't drive a long truck, which is why he clipped me in a parking garage. I bet he has nothing in his truck bed, but I dunno, he owns a cell phone repair business, I only thought landscapers used pick up trucks.

Last edited:
8ED73177-FEFC-4FC3-BCF3-DF0974E73D68.jpeg
757B116E-ED7F-445D-B5A6-EFDE77FBB023.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
It's best to calm down. Be glad it's the bumper! You can get a new painted bumper from Tesla for about 1k, Unpainted goes for about $350 to $450. So that's probably the maximum cost you will be paying. If it were me, I would ask for $1k from the guy and just get the car wet-sanded, buffed, and polished. You don't want to report things like this to insurance if you can resolve it out of insurance.

So I parked my car in a parking garage for a shopping center. I was in one of those spots was in a corner, where cars make a right turn. And that was the problem, the guy scraped the front bumper of my car while making a right and didn't have enough clearance to avoid my car.

Thankfully he waited around for me to come back, left a note, and he wanted to make things right. And I did my best to keep calm in a shitty situation and work with the guy, not trying to get angry at him, so he will hopefully follow up and keep his word on fixing my car on his dime.

He hopes it can be buffed out, which is kinda not the thing I wanna hear from someone who hit me. But if a professional says it can be buffed out, then I am fine going that route. Also he says he owns a cell phone repair business, so I hope he is saying that from a logical point of view. But nothing is set yet, I guess will have to bring it to the body shop tomorrow and see what they say, if it can be buffed out or not, hopefully it will be a reasonable cost so I'm not bankrupting the guy, but still getting my car fixed to the extent of his fault.

He was very genuine and stayed with me for 10-20 minutes, telling me about himself and exchanging phone numbers. I don't know what will happen, he could always run off, but I think he won't do that, especially that he came forward and told me of the bad news.

And since he did come forward, I wanna do my best to not freak out and find the best solution for both parties. Hopefully not an expensive fix, but also hoping he will claim through his insurance if the worst is to happen. I don't really care too much, to me the Tesla is just a tool to get around, I hate being someone that needs the car to be perfect. Being a perfectionist over a car is just stressful, you can't enjoy it, or use it the way it should be.

Kinda lame I parked in a way to avoid getting dinged by the other car door, but then now side swiped by a car that was too long and didn't have enough turning clearance. I kinda wish he didn't drive a long truck, which is why he clipped me in a parking garage. I bet he has nothing in his truck bed, but I dunno, he owns a cell phone repair business, I only thought landscapers used pick up trucks.
"But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side. And I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of a can, then nothing."

Reactions: glide
It's best to calm down. Be glad it's the bumper! You can get a new painted bumper from Tesla for about 1k, Unpainted goes for about $350 to $450. So that's probably the maximum cost you will be paying. If it were me, I would ask for $1k from the guy and just get the car wet-sanded, buffed, and polished. You don't want to report things like this to insurance if you can resolve it out of insurance.

Ah I saw the pics. Definitely can't be buffed out. You should do a bumper replacement.

I think he can afford $1000. Based on reading his LinkedIn profile, says his cell phone repair business does 5 figures monthly.

I think he is honest enough to do what is right, and hopefully not have to bring police / insurance into a minor damage situation.

But now that its not buffed out. He was really trying to go the buff it out way. I dunno what he will say if we had to go the replace the bumper route.

I think he can afford $1000. Based on reading his LinkedIn profile, says his cell phone repair business does 5 figures monthly.

I think he is honest enough to do what is right, and hopefully not have to bring police / insurance into a minor damage situation.

But now that its not buffed out. He was really trying to go the buff it out way. I dunno what he will say if we had to go the replace the bumper route.

It definitely can't be buffed. Maybe touched up a bit with paint but that's not a good resolution. I would stop by a service center tomorrow and order a bumper, it may take a bit for you to get the part! You can probably EBay your old bumper for around $300-400.

Remember, you can always choose the insurance route if you don't feel comfortable.

Why didn't you just exchange insurance information and let them collect from him?

I did ask, but he was hesitant to do it. Even his driver license, still hesistant. It was a hard call to make, since I have no proof of his car hitting me, it was already done by the time I came back and his car was parked somewhere else. Extreme worst case, I can ask the shopping center security to file a police report if things go badly, and use security footage since there was camera near my car.

I didn't know what to do, since he was honest and stayed. I felt hounding him down for insurance would just scare him away and he possibly avoid me. Or make him regret to be honest and then he could simply deny his wrong doing. But I have his number, we texted each other for 10 minutes, I feel he will work with me, and I'll work with him for the best solution for both of us.

I just wanted him to feel comfortable so he work with me. Felt like hounding him down for insurance right there, he may have simply not give it to me or consider trying to flee. But I have his business address, so its a bit hard for him to hide from me. And his phone number, I just texted him, he responded. I hope he will do the right thing, as he promised. If he was not honest he could have just ran off and be screwed with someone who ran off. If he wanted to be dishonest, I don't think he would have stayed. So I have faith he will put his insurance on the line if there is no other options.

If the body shop says I will need his insurance, I hope he will do the right thing. I'll give him a chance to just fix it without insurance, if possible. If the damage is so bad that he needs to use insurance, I hope he will bite the bullet and do it.

Last edited:
I get that you were trying to work with him but if he was hesitant with licence and insurance he may just decide not to pony up. He did hang around and not leave which speaks well. Also that’s never going to buff out. It can be repaired or replaced. I had my rear bumper repaired and repainted and they did a great job. About $1000 including a new sensor.

I get that you were trying to work with him but if he was hesitant with licence and insurance he may just decide not to pony up. He did hang around and not leave which speaks well. Also that’s never going to buff out. It can be repaired or replaced. I had my rear bumper repaired and repainted and they did a great job. About $1000 including a new sensor.

It was a hard call to make. But the fact he stuck around, for probably over 20-30 minutes, speaks about his character. He def had that option to just run off and screw me over, but he seemed like someone with morals, who didn't wanna screw someone over for his mistake. But when I talked to him, he really tried to work with me and tell me he believes that he should do the right thing, to be an example to his 10 yr old kid.

I think he can afford $1000. His LinkedIn says his cell phone repair business makes 5 figures a month. If he is an honest guy, running a legitiment phone repair business, it would make sense why he stayed around. He may be a guy who doesn't like broken stuff, or wants to fix things, and make things right.

Reactions: 03DSG
Think clear bra would have saved it and been cheaper to replace.

So not using your TeslaCam/Sentry mode I guess?

Yep, didn't have USB in it. I did have sentry mode on, but it would have not gotten any recording. Even if it did, I feel better that he came forward than forcing me to hunt him down and file a police report that would lead to nothing.

If wrapping the car is cheaper, I'll consider that, if it makes the guy feel better and the scratch will be like it never happened. I dunno what to do, I'm lucky he was honest enough to come forward. I dunno if anyone dishonest would stick around, doesn't seem logical to stick around and admit your fault if you plan on not paying up.

I want to be as nice as possible, but still compensated fairly. Hopefully this guy is who is says to be, at least I can hunt him down now I know where his business is located.

Best of luck but when he finds out it doesn't just buff out and you need $1,300... He then may say you are just trying to take advantage and go away. I hope you are right. He would have been hit and run if he hadn't stayed. This way, the worst ticket he could possibly get now is not exchanging insurance info. I hope you can get camera footage. If you had involved the police, they would have forced him to give information.

Last edited:
Best of luck but when he finds out it doesn't just buff out and you need $1,300... He then may say you are just trying to take advantage and go away. I hope you are right. He would have been hit and run if he hadn't stayed. This way, the worst ticket he could possibly get now is not exchanging insurance info. I hope you can get camera footage. If you had involved the police, they would have forced him to give information.

If I asked him to wait for police, he probably may have considered not sticking around. Or change his mind of his honesty and likely just walked off. Since he did the right thing, I didn't wanna push my luck, and give him a chance. I'm not saying it will work out, but I'm just doing whatever I can will give best chance to lead to a favorable outcome.

But I know calling the police to come over would have likely scare him off. Or make him reconsider his honesty. And him treating me like his buddy, now I'm betraying him and getting cops involved, then he may just walk off or deny it.

I think he knows there was a security camera. So that's why he may have reconsidered to owe up to it, rather than me getting security / cops involved to track down the driver. I already told security though, just to have my bases covered, but I'm hoping not to go that route.

I kinda wish the parking garage will consider those slim plastic cone things. To force cars to not cut into parking spots when making turns.

Last edited: