Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my SR+ 2 weeks ago, feeling misled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Just got an email from Tesla saying they will not help. They say the SR+ is different because it has premium power seats! Lol
Even the Tesla reps are completely out of touch.
They don't know that Tesla has offered a refund apparently, nor that the SR/SR+ are the same car.
So... According to them, SR will have manual seats with vegan leather coverings... I doubt it.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Update:
Just got an email from Tesla saying they will not help. They say the SR+ is different because it has premium power seats! Lol
Even the Tesla reps are completely out of touch.

Sigh...that's not the only difference. And software differences are as real as hardware differences as far as the operation of the product goes. Of course they can't help - there is nothing to fix here that doesn't require counseling (or at a minimum, an inner reflection on why you are so unhappy)! Because, in this case, it's not due to any unfair or unusual behavior of Tesla.

You got a decent deal on yours iirc.
He didn't.
Let's not be so insensitive.

Whoa, not so fast! A "good deal" is subjective but I feel that all Model 3 buyers to date have received a "good deal" because these cars are amazing! So much so that we bought two back before any price drops, one Long Range in May for the full amount. It was such a beautiful car with such amazing driving dynamics that we put an order in for the recently announced Performance version (without the Performance Upgrade Package that came with bigger brakes, wheels and spoiler that was offered at the time). At the time I saw no problem with paying $5,000 extra for what was essentially a software upgrade from the AWD Model 3. And I'm still tickled pink that I did because the car is amazing in every way, especially in how it can rearrange time and space. So don't go knocking a "software upgrade" as not being worth anything! Buyers now get a lot more for their money but, guess what? They didn't get to drive their Performance Model 3 through the winter of 2018-2019! Now that was priceless! I'm not at all bent out of shape from paying more than those who came later. That would make as much sense as feeling ripped off that they could have bought something for less if only they had purchased it the week before.

I got a no option SR+ and I am happy with the heated seats and 5.3sec SR+ offers.

That's amazingly quick for a passenger car, pretty cool, eh? I'm glad you are happy (but I would expect that). I don't get the people who sign the purchase-sale agreement, get what they were promised and then bitch and moan that they were ripped off. It's irrational and childish. It's not how I conduct business and I'm glad I don't have to deal with people like that! There are a few in every crowd. And it seems like there are a few more every year. I think it's because they grew up playing games that were set up in their favor so everyone got a first place ribbon. Now they can't handle anything but being treated like a "special" person in every respect or they will go off on a temper-tantrum. If their neighbor gets a slightly better deal, watch out!

Reactions: Sherlo
Stealth:
How can I put it more simply without triggering your penchant for judging people's state of mind?
Put yourself in the position of a judge and try to be objective rather than emotional.
Tesla *lied* about the SR. Knowingly. I've never seen the SR they described, and those who are currently taking delivery, and posting here, are showing the SR+. It's exactly an SR+. They've mentioned the software will be altered at a later date.
This, to my knowledge, will include disabling the front seat heaters. Disabling the A-pillar top tweeters. Reducing battery capacity to a virtual 90%. Power output to be reduced by the slightest amount as to be negligible, which also goes for top-speed.
The fact of the matter, judge Stealth, is that the SR never existed as far as I know.
Tesla sold the SR+ based on the differences with the SR. The SR being delivered is not the SR they described.
I would have purchased the SR had I known the interior was the same (that's all that matters to me).
They lied. It's so simple. Their lie cost me almost $6300.
Yes, boohoo right? Suck it up buttercup? I have no problem even donating that amount to Tesla or just buying more shares. But the lies...

Reactions: Federico and hlin07
Stealth:
How can I put it more simply without triggering your penchant for judging people's state of mind?
Put yourself in the position of a judge and try to be objective rather than emotional.
Tesla *lied* about the SR. Knowingly. I've never seen the SR they described, and those who are currently taking delivery, and posting here, and showing the SR+. It's exactly an SR+. They've mentioned the software will be altered at a later date.
This, to my knowledge, will include disabling the front seat heaters. Disabling the A-pillar top tweeters. Reducing battery capacity to a virtual 90%. Power output to be reduced by the slightest amount as to be negligible, which also goes for top-speed.
The facts of this matter, judge Stealth, is that the SR never existed as far as I know.
Tesla sold the SR+ based on the differences with the SR. The SR being delivered is not the SR they described.
I would have purchased the SR had I known the interior was the same (that's all that matters to me).
They lied. It's so simple. Their lie cost me almost $6300.
Yes, boohoo right? Suck it up buttercup? I have no problem even donating that amount to Tesla or just buying more shares. But the lies...

The reason I question your rationality is those are not lies (but you are convinced they are). Tesla has every right to lock or unlock features they created and charge more or less depending upon the value it offers.

I see. So they software unlocked power leather seats? Premium carpet?

It's an amazing car no matter what. A friend of mine drove my SR/SR+ for a couple of hours and is now in the process of buying a performance Model 3. Several others will now be buying the same car that I have (SR/SR+) after tests drives.

Yes, I agree with you. Tesla has the right to lock/unlock features. That's not even my point. I'm talking about hardware differences.

The SR never existed. The SR is an SR+. The virtual battery capacity is irrelevant as now one can just charge to 100%. The sound system is irrelevant as it sucks in the SR+ anyway. The top speed? Acceleration? There's no music streaming or live satellite data in either. The biggest, and most advertised, difference was the "partial premium interior."

Basically, anyone who purchased an SR is being rewarded with the interior of the SR+.

How is it I'm not seeing this clearly man? How is it I'm irrational?

Last edited:
SR+ owners are in two categories.
1. those who wanted the SR+ based on the "software" aspect of the package (as well as maybe hardware aspect).
- heated seats
- 5.3 sec
- 240 mile range
- better sound system

2. those who wanted the hardware upgrade without caring much about software aspect.
- Partial Premium interior
- power seats
- foglamps

People in group #2 don't care so much about things in #1 and they could have gotten everything they wanted in a SR for $2000-2500( + tax) less.

I am in group #1, so I have no desire to downgrade to SR.
But OP is in group #2.

1. those who wanted the SR+ based on the "software" aspect of the package (as well as maybe hardware aspect).
- heated seats
- 5.3 sec
- 240 mile range
- better sound system

2. those who wanted the hardware upgrade without caring much about software aspect.
- power seats
- foglamps

People in group #2 don't care so much about things in #1 and they could have gotten everything they wanted in a SR for $2000-2500( + tax) less.

But OP is in group #2.

Well said.

I'm definitely in group #2 as well. If people in group #2 wanted, it'd be fairly simple to hack the seat heaters and lights in an SR (if the lights are in fact hobbled in the SR). I paid an extra $6300 for nothing really. I wouldn't have done that because I don't care about those features, but it's not like SR buyers are missing out if they really wanted the almost full SR+ experience.

I'll apply for the downgrade. I've spoken with a manager at Tesla, who didn't even know about the SR being the SR+. He looked into it and quickly called me back. He said the downgrade option should appear in my account in a month, which was something he also didn't know about. The tax difference is about the same as the price difference, so that's another matter entirely.

- heated seats
- 5.3 sec
- 240 mile range
- better sound system

- power seats
- foglamps

But OP is in group #2.

I'm in between Group 1 and 2 depending on how much the cost difference is. Back on Feb 28th, it was a no brainer for me that SR+ was the better value vs SR that I could justify spending 2k more for. Had I known the difference between SR and SR+ was only .3 second 0-60, no heated seats, and 24 miles less range, I would likely have chosen SR instead of SR+ (depending on price)

We need to stop calling people names, and be respectful to one another. As more and more people start to buy Teslas, we're starting to get to the point where the non-fanboy are getting their cars and they are less tolerant on things we deem acceptable. Instead of calling them out, we need to share our experience, offer advise to make their transition to Tesla a smoother experience.

People brought out price changes happen all the time, end of the month/quarter sale happen all the time at traditional dealership. This is true, but no one is complaining about the price dropped from say 40k to say 39.5k. When Tesla was doing the end of quarter fire sale to get rid of existing inventory, a lot of people scored on MR at near SR+ price level, no one complained on that, we were genuinely happy for these people.

What upsets OP in this case is that OP chose SR+ based on the SR vs SR+ difference published initially. Some people also brought out the SR+ outsold SR by 6 to 1, so it's fine to stick with SR+ to simplify production. I guarantee you that if people knew the difference between SR and SR+ was going to this minimal, it won't be a 6 to 1 ratio, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 to 1 or SR might even outsold SR+.

Do current SR+ stand a legal ground to get money back? I doubt it, could Tesla have done a better job on handling this, I think we can all agree, YES.

I guarantee you that if people knew the difference between SR and SR+ was going to this minimal, it won't be a 6 to 1 ratio, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 to 1 or SR might even outsold SR+.

^^ Exactly. Tesla lied. The SR would have far outsold the SR+.

It doesn't matter now though. I've been a raging Tesla fanboy since 2006. At least this action has broken their spell on me.
They've messed up my order, my pick up, my referral code, my refund on the Model Y, all on top of the SR debacle.

Now it's just a very nice car. I'm not at all thrilled the way I once was. SR orders were rewarded, for nothing.

Wow ironically I started the thread and now that I know Tesla is offering to refund the difference and downgrade I am perfectly happy.

Will I do it? No probably not.

But I think they are being perfectly fair, when I started the thread I had tried repeatedly to get a hold of Tesla with no avail and only heard stories in the SR waiting room of people being upgraded to SR+ for little or no cost, sure that pissed me off.

I had not seen the Tesla announcement that we can get a refund and software downgrade.

Someone here showed the link.

Would’ve been better if Tesla sent me an email with a link ...

So communication was bad but intentions good.

I sure wish I could delete this thread, turned ugly and I am not sure why, got to love the internet.

It is unfortunate that most people only start threads ro complain (I am guilty in this case) when most of us are perfectly happy.

Wow ironically I started the thread and now that I know Tesla is offering to refund the difference and downgrade I am perfectly happy.

Will I do it? No probably not.

But I think they are being perfectly fair, when I started the thread I had tried repeatedly to get a hold of Tesla with no avail and only heard stories in the SR waiting room of people being upgraded to SR+ for little or no cost, sure that pissed me off.

I had not seen the Tesla announcement that we can get a refund and software downgrade.

Someone here showed the link.

Would’ve been better if Tesla sent me an email with a link ...

So communication was bad but intentions good.

I sure wish I could delete this thread, turned ugly and I am not sure why, got to love the internet.

It is unfortunate that most people only start threads ro complain (I am guilty in this case) when most of us are perfectly happy.

True. They really, really need to hire Zac and Jesse (from Now You Know) to handle marketing and communications. Those guys could do wonders.

Over the past 13 years I've only ever gushed about Tesla, to a disturbing degree. I suppose on some emotional and subconscious level this fiasco was like being betrayed by a friend.

If I can't get my taxes back I'll keep the SR+ and the resentment, otherwise the heater is not worth $~6300.

Well said.

I'm definitely in group #2 as well. If people in group #2 wanted, it'd be fairly simple to hack the seat heaters and lights in an SR (if the lights are in fact hobbled in the SR). I paid an extra $6300 for nothing really. I wouldn't have done that because I don't care about those features, but it's not like SR buyers are missing out if they really wanted the almost full SR+ experience.

I'll apply for the downgrade. I've spoken with a manager at Tesla, who didn't even know about the SR being the SR+. He looked into it and quickly called me back. He said the downgrade option should appear in my account in a month, which was something he also didn't know about. The tax difference is about the same as the price difference, so that's another matter entirely.
Well said.

Is there any timeframe when you purchased, or is there anything you should do specificallys for the option to appear on your account?

- heated seats
- 5.3 sec
- 240 mile range
- better sound system

- power seats
- foglamps

But OP is in group #2.

I'm in the group #2, I originally ordered a SR on 2/28 because the 20 extra miles and better sound was not a big deal to me, but then I noticed (website was super slow) that SR+ have partial premium, I went back and changed my order to SR+ because of power seats and Partial Premium interior. I didn't care about 20 additional miles, 5.3 sec (I bought a Tesla because is electric, not because is a sport car) or heated seats (I live in Florida).

Sigh, I think both groups got everything they wanted at the price they were happy with. Until someone else got a better deal.;)

This is not about if someone got a better deal or not, this is not the case. When you buy a Tesla you will know for sure they will change the price to attract for buyers (later buyer will get a better deals), I don't have a problem with that, but what Tesla did was different, they put information of a SR for sale and at the same time they offer a SR+ with some hardware upgrades (close to a MR) for an additional of $2K, many buyers (like me) decided the $2K hardware upgrade was worth it, but now Tesla show us they change the rules in a way they lied to us.

I hope they will offer the option to downgrade SR+ to SR, with the saving I could almost get AU or wait for a better AU package (they will bring the cost down for sure in the next couple of months).

So after all that Tesla contacted me and you can only downgrade before you receive the car (or I guess within 7 days as you could return it)

I will get over it but disappointed

What the actual f!? $6300 for front seat heaters. False advertising. It'll take me a little longer to get over. That's a lot more than 10% the price of the car. Will give them a chance to make it right.

I do have a Tesla guy telling me, recorded, that the refund button will show up in my account. That's all he had to say about it though. I think they're making up the rules as they go.