Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my SR+ 2 weeks ago, feeling misled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^ Exactly. Tesla lied. The SR would have far outsold the SR+.

It doesn't matter now though. I've been a raging Tesla fanboy since 2006. At least this action has broken their spell on me.
They've messed up my order, my pick up, my referral code, my refund on the Model Y, all on top of the SR debacle.

Now it's just a very nice car. I'm not at all thrilled the way I once was. SR orders were rewarded, for nothing.

There are many people on this forum who are fans of Tesla vehicles, but are not fans of Tesla the company. It’s not easy to be a big fan of the car when the company runs its business the way it does. Tesla is horribly disorganized and run by a single person who makes decisions on the fly and hands them down to the company without any explanation of how they are going to accomplish them. That is why we saw a blog post saying you could downgrade your SR+ purchase to an SR, but when people called to inquire how nobody had any idea.

As for the posters in this forum who have to attack and criticize someone who has a different opinion then them, I’ve learned to ignore them. When you need to put down others to make yourself feel better, you show who you really are as a person. Fortunately these people are easy to ignore on this forum.

This is a dumb move by Tesla if the go indeed refund SR+ buyers to downgrade. Anyone who is past the return period shouldn't be getting a refund. Slippery slope they keep playing with. Prices drop and anyone who bought a SR+ knew that full and well because it was announced in March after the huge cuts. A LR RWD was $49k just 4 months prior to the March pricing change and had dropped to $43k and autopilot got cheaper too. Original LR RWD buyers were told the battery upgrade price was 9k and that in order to get glass roof, better seating material, power seats you have to pony up 5k for the PUP package making it a $14k upsell, should they be getting a refund also? SR+ buyers should be prepared for drops too, refunds aren't the answer, people should buy when they are ready and not expect handouts after. Tesla is killing their profits themselves and can only blame themselves for these kinds of moves.

Reactions: Sherlo and Sanny
You got exactly what you paid for with the SR+. You are upset because now, you could have gotten something you would be very happy with for much less.

I can understand the feeling having bought my 3 in 2018 but you got exactly what you paid for.

no, you are leaving out the first step in a 3 step progression

* he ordered the SR
* they called him and told him to change his order to SR+ and he did
* then they changed the SR / SR+ relationship invalidating all the reasons they were able to talk him into changing the order.

While he did pay for the SR+ that isn't what he ordered in the first place. While waiting for his order he was misled and coerced into changing his order.

If he had started out wanting the SR+ then I'd agree it'd just be a simple sour grapes story.

But that isn't the part to focus on. The part to focus on is what Tesla employees told him prior to delivery to get him to change his order.

no, you are leaving out the first step in a 3 step progression

* he ordered the SR
* they called him and told him to change his order to SR+ and he did
* then they changed the SR / SR+ relationship invalidating all the reasons they were able to talk him into changing the order.

While he did pay for the SR+ that isn't what he ordered in the first place. While waiting for his order he was misled and coerced into changing his order.

If he had started out wanting the SR+ then I'd agree it'd just be a simple sour grapes story.

But that isn't the part to focus on. The part to focus on is what Tesla employees told him prior to delivery to get him to change his order.

Sometimes the store reps don't know more than informed enthusiasts. It's quite possible that the decision to can the original SR and turn it into a software locked model was this weeks decision. High pressure sales is nothing new though, don't think buyer should be entitled to a refund. My dad purchased last year at the full $49k + 5k EAP price for an LR RWD and was told by rep to buy now or pay more in 2019 because prices would not go down but tax credit would disappear and we all know how that panned out. Do you think he would be entitled to a $6k-8k refund? I don't think so and don't think anyone should be getting refunds beyond the return windows anymore as it will just isolate another group. You can't please all but it's messed up to please some and ignore the rest. Tesla really shouldn't be making erratic moves without thinking first, these price changes have truly been a nightmare for previous buyers and it's all Tesla's own doing.

Sometimes the store reps don't know more than informed enthusiasts. It's quite possible that the decision to can the original SR and turn it into a software locked model was this weeks decision. High pressure sales is nothing new though, don't think buyer should be entitled to a refund. My dad purchased last year at the full $49k + 5k EAP price for an LR RWD and was told by rep to buy now or pay more in 2019 because prices would not go down but tax credit would disappear and we all know how that panned out. Do you think he would be entitled to a $6k-8k refund? I don't think so and don't think anyone should be getting refunds beyond the return windows anymore as it will just isolate another group. You can't please all but it's messed up to please some and ignore the rest. Tesla really shouldn't be making erratic moves without thinking first, these price changes have truly been a nightmare for previous buyers and it's all Tesla's own doing.

Your case is not comparable.

I know it's hard to understand for people who bought a specific car type, then saw the prices drop on it later. That's not what happened here.

To simplify what happened: Imagine on the same day you had a choice of dual-motor, for 10k, or single-motor for 5k. You opt for the dual motor after all the advantages have been explained, with reasons as to why you'd spend so much more. 2 weeks later, the 5k model comes out with dual motors anyway. The point being you could have, on the day of purchase, bought the 5k model and got the same thing.

In my example, I bought the SR+ over the SR for the "partial premium interior" that I was sold on. That's it.
The SR+ (apart from the AP combo) didn't go down in price. The SR got everything I wanted, after it being explained that it wouldn't have any of the features I wanted.

Had I been told the truth of the SR, that is the car I would have purchased instead. It's not super hard to grok, but I see many people complaining that they bought a car, only to see its price go down, AP/FSD options bounce around in price etc. This is completely different.

I care far more about the marketing lies than I do the dollar value. It bothers me greatly for people who were conned into an SR+ for the same reasons I was, and who were already stretching their budget. This is a temporary car for me until the PY comes out, but for some it's their car for 20 years.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I've already contacted my lawyer about it and would willingly spend way more than I'd ever get back, if not for myself, then to set a precedent for others who were lied to. Maybe Tesla will come good before I have to follow through; who knows. They've told me they will, but told OP they will not.

Your case is not comparable.

I know it's hard to understand for people who bought a specific car type, then saw the prices drop on it later. That's not what happened here.

To simplify what happened: Imagine on the same day you had a choice of dual-motor, for 10k, or single-motor for 5k. You opt for the dual motor after all the advantages have been explained, with reasons as to why you'd spend so much more. 2 weeks later, the 5k model comes out with dual motors anyway. The point being you could have, on the day of purchase, bought the 5k model and got the same thing.

In my example, I bought the SR+ over the SR for the "partial premium interior" that I was sold on. That's it.
The SR+ (apart from the AP combo) didn't go down in price. The SR got everything I wanted, after it being explained that it wouldn't have any of the features I wanted.

Had I been told the truth of the SR, that is the car I would have purchased instead. It's not super hard to grok, but I see many people complaining that they bought a car, only to see its price go down, AP/FSD options bounce around in price etc. This is completely different.

I care far more about the marketing lies than I do the dollar value. It bothers me greatly for people who were conned into an SR+ for the same reasons I was, and who were already stretching their budget. This is a temporary car for me until the PY comes out, but for some it's their car for 20 years.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I've already contacted my lawyer about it and would willingly spend way more than I'd ever get back, if not for myself, then to set a precedent for others who were lied to. Maybe Tesla will come good before I have to follow through; who knows. They've told me they will, but told OP they will not.

If you care about marketing lies than you only tricked yourself in getting a Tesla. No lawyer would take this seriously. Stuff like this has been ongoing for a long time. AP 1 to 2 transition, AP2 not getting true FSD, FSD people who prepaid who received no feature and told price would increase only to be shown otherwise. You buy that day and if you are satisfied with the package you buy it, nobody truly forced you to pay the money. You wanted the car, you got it and have had it over 2 weeks and now beyond the return period. You might have bee upsold which happens at every car dealer. If you stretched beyond means to get a car you can't blame Tesla. Tesla truly might have made this decision to scrap the original SR just a week ago and when you bought it they had no intention to sell the current SR as a software locked model to appease those who wanted the $35k price and will kill it off by the end of the quarter.

I’m not sure I’m following the current line of discussion on this thread.

For people who purchased an SR+ but really would have purchased an SR had they known it would still have the Partial Premium Interior, is Tesla saying you can not downgrade to an SR and get a refund, contrary to what their blog states?

That is what Tesla told OP. They told me the opposite. I'm assuming they will be dishonourable, but hoping for the best.

If you care about marketing lies than you only tricked yourself in getting a Tesla. No lawyer would take this seriously. Stuff like this has been ongoing for a long time. AP 1 to 2 transition, AP2 not getting true FSD, FSD people who prepaid who received no feature and told price would increase only to be shown otherwise. You buy that day and if you are satisfied with the package you buy it, nobody truly forced you to pay the money. You wanted the car, you got it and have had it over 2 weeks and now beyond the return period. You might have bee upsold which happens at every car dealer. If you stretched beyond means to get a car you can't blame Tesla. Tesla truly might have made this decision to scrap the original SR just a week ago and when you bought it they had no intention to sell the current SR as a software locked model to appease those who wanted the $35k price and will kill it off by the end of the quarter.

If they just decided a week ago then I guess they'd have over ten thousand SR interiors and twice as many side-mirrors sitting around, had they ever actually planned to make and deliver it as per Elon's announcements.

Be cool if they actually made a few as they'd be collector's items.

I think what's not coming across here is:

Yeah, we love the car, at least I do. More than a grown man should. I love Tesla. I love their mission. I have many shares. I have followed them from the start, and was into every EV that came before Tesla was even around. The Model 3 is currently, IMHO, the best car in the world, and will remain so until a X/S refresh or the Y comes out (the Y being my actual dream car because it scores highest in every area).

The problem I'm having is being encouraged not to buy the SR based on lies. They should not have made up stories to get people to pay more.

I would happily have bought 6k in Tesla stock, and taken the SR had I known it was the car I'd be getting anyway. I would also donate to Tesla, and have suggested as much. I just don't like being lied to.

I would feel the same way as you - and truth is nobody can really related to your experience because "most" of us have had a good experience, or are not in the situation you are in.

So that sucks, and I empathize and then it all kind of piles on. I'm from BC too, the luxury tax sucks but that's not Tesla.

Recently Tesla shifted autopilot to be included in all cars - mathematically I lost $600.00 from the change but I just focus on getting to drive an amazing car every day. That's all you can do - you can choose to sue them, or what not - but ultimately it's just going to stress you out more. That's just my opinion.

That is what Tesla told OP. They told me the opposite. I'm assuming they will be dishonourable, but hoping for the best.

What I’ve learned over the course of buying two Model 3’s in the past four months is that if you don’t like the answer you get when you ask a Tesla rep a question, call back and ask again. If I had purchased an SR+, saw the blog post, and wanted to downgrade to an SR, I would be calling until I got the answer I wanted. All you are asking them to do is honor specifically what it states in the blog posted on their web site they are offering to do. Just be pushy until they get tired of you and give you what you want. Call your local store, call the Nevada call center, call headquarters. Eventually you will find someone who can do what the blog post is offering.

Here is my analogy on this particular example.

I buy a plane ticket 3 weeks in advance, my brother in law buys a ticket a week later and it is cheaper, same flight, it’s cheaper. Do I whine? Try to sue the airline?

No that’s life, ticket could have gone up or down in price, I still have a great flight and enjoy my vacation.

That is a car purchase (or any).

In this case there is a new plane on Tesla Airlines offering short haul flights.

My Brother in Law and I buy tickets same day for the same flight in 3 weeks. He is cheap and buys Standard seat tickets. I am a baller and buy Standard Plus, less the 10% more $ but I get more comfortable (massage) leather seats and 10% more legroom. Great deal.

A week before my flight my brother in law gets a call saying you should really upgrade to Standard plus, we can even give you a discount! He says no.

We arrive for our flight turns out the whole plane has the same seats. For his they covered his massage button with tape and shoved a kleenex box by his feet to limit his legroom by 10%.

Enjoy the flight! Have a great holiday :)

Still enjoying my Standard plus but the whole thing makes me laugh...

What is the true difference between the SR and SR+. I don't think there is one answer for this question.

The differences are minor. Through software disabling, SR has 20 miles less range, no heated seats and no immersive audio.

The biggest differentiator between the two is Autopilot. SR at $35K does not have AP. SR+ at $39.5K has AP. So if you do not want AP, you will want to buy an SR. If you want AP, it brings the price of the SR up to $38K, so the price gap between them narrows considerably and makes the decision a closer call.

Here is my analogy on this particular example.

I buy a plane ticket 3 weeks in advance, my brother in law buys a ticket a week later and it is cheaper, same flight, it’s cheaper. Do I whine? Try to sue the airline?

No that’s life, ticket could have gone up or down in price, I still have a great flight and enjoy my vacation.

That is a car purchase (or any).

In this case there is a new plane on Tesla Airlines offering short haul flights.

My Brother in Law and I buy tickets same day for the same flight in 3 weeks. He is cheap and buys Standard seat tickets. I am a baller and buy Standard Plus, less the 10% more $ but I get more comfortable (massage) leather seats and 10% more legroom. Great deal.

A week before my flight my brother in law gets a call saying you should really upgrade to Standard plus, we can even give you a discount! He says no.

We arrive for our flight turns out the whole plane has the same seats. For his they covered his massage button with tape and shoved a kleenex box by his feet to limit his legroom by 10%.

Enjoy the flight! Have a great holiday :)

Still enjoying my Standard plus but the whole thing makes me laugh...

Still the difference is that you arnt buying a seat that you are stuck in with a screaming child every time you fly until you decide to sell your seat. Plane ticket if you have a bad experience or care that some folks on the plane are flying cheaper than you, once you get to your destination, its over with.

What is the true difference between the SR and SR+. I don't think there is one answer for this question.

As of today, absolutely nothing. I bought an SR, which says SR+ right on the screen. There's no SR software yet to "downgrade" mine to what I paid for. No idea how long for that to show up, and then turn my heated seats, immersive sound, and fog lights off.

Reactions: Legen---dary
I can see the SR being killed off by the next week. They probably didn't ever start building the real stripped down SR model. Anything off menu has the ability to disappear at any time. Tesla can say they offered the 35k model to the fence sitters to avoid huge backlash. They probably decided to do the software lock and take the hit on profit for these select vehicles. I know reps sometimes might not be the most informed but sometimes they don't receive any additional into before the general public and misinformation may be spread. If you enjoy your SR+ I would be inclined to continue to enjoy it and don't get boiled up that someone got something slightly cheaper than you because the truth is the next person after that may get even a better value next year. Tesla makes great cars but time and time again they have proven how dysfunctional they are as a company.