Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my SR+ 2 weeks ago, feeling misled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just enjoy the car, That was the price when you bought the car and got the features that you ordered. Other manufactures do this ALL the time , tesla changes the prices, others call it "factory incentive." That was the price then, this is the price now.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here...

Again it is not about the price changing...I don’t care about that.

If I had ordered an SR the SAME DAY as I ordered my plus I would have received the same car in the same week.

The SR does not exist.

They should be cancelling all the SR orders not giving people a plus for the same price.

I want to add: I think there is a legal case for us to get our money back.
We were misled into getting a more expensive car based on a relative comparison to the cheaper car. For me anyway, in BC, that kicked it over into the luxury-car class, adding 2% more tax at the >$56k level.
Had I not been lied to about the SR, it's the car I would have purchased.
It burns even more because they also lowered the price 11 days after I picked my car up, even in the same category.
I will research small-claims court for this.
They can give me back my $6,282, and drop 32km off my battery - I don't give a *sugar* about that if it's the only difference between models now.
Alternately, they could, at no cost to them, add the fairly useless FSD and SC.
What a joke.

Duh! The joke's on you

I think that they fully expected to create the SR but it would obviously require changes to the line, new parts sourcing etc. They offered the SR+ because it's a version of what they already have set up to manufacture, and for the rather minimal extra cost you get a lot more for your money.

When the incoming orders for SR+ outweighed SR by 6 to 1, I think this changed their whole ball game. Why put a lot of extra effort into making an extra product with different parts on modified lines when the demand seems to currently be that people are up for paying a little extra anyway.

Tesla's life is much easier now than trying to bring the SR product to bear. Especially since they were bringing the SR by axing costs some of which have now been reversed. I can thoroughly understand why Tesla have made this decision, and I can see why it would upset some buyers, but I am very much of the opinion that it was a last minute change based on the unfolding orders.

In the future when the margins are not so tight (perhaps when GigaFactory 3 is open in Shanghai) I expect that they'll bring back the SR model, perhaps even for less than 35k depending on what they can save and mass production figures at the time.

He sounds very upset.
He is the most angry Canadian I have read on message forums.
I agree...

But we have never met, most people assume all Canadians know each other :)

I am not expecting or asking for a penny back, I just think if they are bumping the content for SR people who bought the same day I did they could throw a free bone us SR+ people and turn on the rear heated seats or something.

Last week I was telling everyone I met how great but different Tesla is and offering test drives to everyone.

I still love the car but am disappointed in the company, and not to go off track but the people at the service center were great but you could tell they were not the same since Tesla announced they were all losing there jobs, then did a 180 and said they could stay.

Time for them to make a plan and stick to it.

I think that they fully expected to create the SR but it would obviously require changes to the line, new parts sourcing etc. They offered the SR+ because it's a version of what they already have set up to manufacture, and for the rather minimal extra cost you get a lot more for your money.

When the incoming orders for SR+ outweighed SR by 6 to 1, I think this changed their whole ball game. Why put a lot of extra effort into making an extra product with different parts on modified lines when the demand seems to currently be that people are up for paying a little extra anyway.

Tesla's life is much easier now than trying to bring the SR product to bear. Especially since they were bringing the SR by axing costs some of which have now been reversed. I can thoroughly understand why Tesla have made this decision, and I can see why it would upset some buyers, but I am very much of the opinion that it was a last minute change based on the unfolding orders.

In the future when the margins are not so tight (perhaps when GigaFactory 3 is open in Shanghai) I expect that they'll bring back the SR model, perhaps even for less than 35k depending on what they can save and mass production figures at the time.
I agree with you 100%

But they should have cancelled the SR orders, told buyer they have until the end of the month to buy an SR+ like everyone else.

I really don't understand you guys.

First, if you had put half the effort you spent rage-posting here actually reading Tesla's announcement on this change, you would know, that:
"...anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost".

With that, SR (non-plus) now has these things compared to the original 2016 announcement:
  • panoramic glass roof
  • electronically adjustable mirrors and steering wheel
  • vegan-leather seats (faux leather)
  • premium carpets and wood trim
  • a bigger battery that results in less degradation on the 220 range
  • ability to upgrade any time to SR+, unlocking heated front seats, better audio, more range, etc.
Second, AP did not become free. It has been bundled for $500 less than the previous full price, but it is not included free over last weeks' prices.

Third, any manufacturer can and does change the prices any time they want to. If you buy a new TV and the next week the price drops, do you get money back in the mail? A select few chains may have a policy on this, but this is not standard by any means.

Finally, as Elon has aptly put in a recent Twitter response: are you willing to pay extra if Tesla raises prices 3 weeks from now? Will you cut a check for 2k to the company, or does this not go both ways?

PS: some went as far as saying Tesla just scared people with the 3% raise announcement to get better Q1 order numbers and then decreased the prices instead... In reality, they've said they would raise prices by 3% on average, but leave SR out of it. On Thursday, March 21 SR+ went up by 1.3%, LR by 3.5%, LR AWD by 3.2% and P went up by 2.6%. Additionally, MR got discontinued and AP/FSD prices reverted to normal.

I am glad you posted that because it is news to me, I tried to contact Tesla but got no response from emails.

That is perfectly fair.

Would have been a lot easier if Tesla had sent plus owners an email about it.

As far as SR owners getting free Autopilot I did not believe it anyways, must have been an isolated case.

Shame I had to find out on a forum but hey thats what they are for!

Thanks and all clear

Moderators should close the thread so it stops it from going way off topic.

Last edited:
FOR ANYONE CONTEMPLATING PURCHASING A TESLA WHO READS THIS THREAD

• Tesla shows on its website what its current prices and bundled packages are at any particular time
  • You have the full choice of deciding to take advantage of that offer, or deciding to wait to see if the prices and packages will differ tomorrow, next week and so forth
  • You DO KNOW that everyone purchasing "now" will be paying that price shown
  • You also should be aware that were you to go to a traditional dealership, you have absolutely zero idea how good or bad a price you will be paying, nor what the previous or subsequent customer has paid or will pay. NO IDEA AT ALL. NEVER.
  • Costco's 30-day (not 60-day) "match the price" policy is a superb marketing tactic; one of which I have taken advantage several times. It is close to unique in the world - I, for one, know of no merchant who copies it. I would not expect Tesla to match that policy.
I hope this puts full stop to the complaints generated on this thread, and on a fair number of effectively identical ones that have occurred in the past. I also hope for Peace, Love and General Happiness throughout the world. Each hope has the same probability of occurring.

I really don't understand you guys.

First, if you had put half the effort you spent rage-posting here actually reading Tesla's announcement on this change, you would know, that:
"...anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost".

With that, SR (non-plus) now has these things compared to the original 2016 announcement:
  • panoramic glass roof
  • electronically adjustable mirrors and steering wheel
  • vegan-leather seats (faux leather)
  • premium carpets and wood trim
  • a bigger battery that results in less degradation on the 220 range
  • ability to upgrade any time to SR+, unlocking heated front seats, better audio, more range, etc.
Second, AP did not become free. It has been bundled for $500 less than the previous full price, but it is not included free over last weeks' prices.

Third, any manufacturer can and does change the prices any time they want to. If you buy a new TV and the next week the price drops, do you get money back in the mail? A select few chains may have a policy on this, but this is not standard by any means.

Finally, as Elon has aptly put in a recent Twitter response: are you willing to pay extra if Tesla raises prices 3 weeks from now? Will you cut a check for 2k to the company, or does this not go both ways?

PS: some went as far as saying Tesla just scared people with the 3% raise announcement to get better Q1 order numbers and then decreased the prices instead... In reality, they've said they would raise prices by 3% on average, but leave SR out of it. On Thursday, March 21 SR+ went up by 1.3%, LR by 3.5%, LR AWD by 3.2% and P went up by 2.6%. Additionally, MR got discontinued and AP/FSD prices reverted to normal.

That was a glorious post!

Why doesn't Tesla email Plus owners and give them a full rundown of options? They're impossible to reach!

When I picked up my car it was dirty, was not inspected -- as they were far too busy and told me to contact them if there were any issues -- and could not answer questions regarding the referral code I used (and still haven't!). They got my name wrong, and I've yet to hear as to whether the code was even used, and I've exhausted every avenue. They also got the day wrong and I traveled far to the pick-up location for nothing, having to return the next day. They seem to ignore emails / calls for the most part. Not a great start for such an epic car.

I'm afraid I cannot succumb to the peer pressure here and say everything is fine, if, as has been pointed out, for only one reason:

Had I purchased the SR the same day I purchased the Plus, which I definitely would have if I'd known the truth of the matter, I would have paid a lot less. I see they will refund the difference in cost, which I think is about $3400 here, absolutely worth it for losing seat heaters and making the not-great sound system a little worse (range essentially the same as I'd charge to a higher level), but will they refund the giant tax differential? The total price differential is over $6200 for me, for essentially the same car.

The fact that they lowered the price of the Plus with AP by $1300 right after I purchased is highly annoying, but I can accept that.

If Tesla can make it such that I purchased the equivalent of the SR on the same day I purchased the SR+, I'll be cool with it, and use the difference towards the Performance Y that I will get.

Tesla absolutely knew the SR was not coming out as stated, way before this announcement (supply chain obviously not in place). They chose to not answer any questions from the media regarding the absence of the SR, and they tricked people into buying the Plus as a calculated move. That was not the right thing to do for a company that is changing the world in every possible positive way.

I expect Tesla to always take the higher moral ground, which is why I've invested so much in the company. On this single occasion they have not.

Reactions: Goodtohave
That was a glorious post!

Why doesn't Tesla email Plus owners and give them a full rundown of options? They're impossible to reach!

When I picked up my car it was dirty, was not inspected -- as they were far too busy and told me to contact them if there were any issues -- and could not answer questions regarding the referral code I used (and still haven't!). They got my name wrong, and I've yet to hear as to whether the code was even used, and I've exhausted every avenue. They also got the day wrong and I traveled far to the pick-up location for nothing, having to return the next day. They seem to ignore emails / calls for the most part. Not a great start for such an epic car.

I'm afraid I cannot succumb to the peer pressure here and say everything is fine, if, as has been pointed out, for only one reason:

Had I purchased the SR the same day I purchased the Plus, which I definitely would have if I'd known the truth of the matter, I would have paid a lot less. I see they will refund the difference in cost, which I think is about $3400 here, absolutely worth it for losing seat heaters and making the not-great sound system a little worse (range essentially the same as I'd charge to a higher level), but will they refund the giant tax differential? The total price differential is over $6200 for me, for essentially the same car.

The fact that they lowered the price of the Plus with AP by $1300 right after I purchased is highly annoying, but I can accept that.

If Tesla can make it such that I purchased the equivalent of the SR on the same day I purchased the SR+, I'll be cool with it, and use the difference towards the Performance Y that I will get.

Tesla absolutely knew the SR was not coming out as stated, way before this announcement (supply chain obviously not in place). They chose to not answer any questions from the media regarding the absence of the SR, and they tricked people into buying the Plus as a calculated move. That was not the right thing to do for a company that is changing the world in every possible positive way.

I expect Tesla to always take the higher moral ground, which is why I've invested so much in the company. On this single occasion they have not.
When you spent $50+K & you don't do your due diligence. - Ignorance is not an excuse.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here...

Again it is not about the price changing...I don’t care about that.

If I had ordered an SR the SAME DAY as I ordered my plus I would have received the same car in the same week.

The SR does not exist.

They should be cancelling all the SR orders not giving people a plus for the same price.
Cancel your order and reorder what you think is correct- like I did.

It is not a good feeling to feel like you have been cheated no matter how much money is involved.
I hope OP finds a resolution and peace soon.

I hope he finds peace because feeling cheated when you haven't been cheated is an early sign of dementia or the early stages of psychosis. So the only "resolution" is for the OP to come back to reality and take responsibility for his purchase which was done of his own free will on terms that were fair and reasonable and that haven't changed after the fact.

I hope he finds peace because feeling cheated when you haven't been cheated is an early sign of dementia or the early stages of psychosis. So the only "resolution" is for the OP to come back to reality and take responsibility for his purchase which was done of his own free will on terms that were fair and reasonable and that haven't changed after the fact.
You got a decent deal on yours iirc.
He didn't.
Let's not be so insensitive.
I got a no option SR+ and I am happy with the heated seats and 5.3sec SR+ offers.

Reactions: willow_hiller
You're the one with dementia Stealth.
I was cheated.
I was lied to about the differences between the SR and the SR+.
There is zero chance I'd have purchased the SR+ knowing it was the same car as the SR.
I could, though it would be a stretch, buy any car Tesla has to offer, so it's not about the money as much as it is about being lied to.
I don't know if you can comprehend that.
Many people, most I'd say, purchased the SR+ over the SR due to the differences stated at the time. Those differences were untrue.
What is so hard to understand about that?

Update:
Just got an email from Tesla saying they will not help. They say the SR+ is different because it has premium power seats! Lol
Even the Tesla reps are completely out of touch.
They don't know that Tesla has offered a refund apparently, nor that the SR/SR+ are the same car.