Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my SR+ 2 weeks ago, feeling misled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I debated between the SR and plus, in the end spent the extra $2700 CDN mainly for better audio and leather , don’t really care about slight range improvement. Also paid 2k for grey. Was in no rush but they announced a 3% increase the following week. Then they drop the paint from 2k to $1300

The partial premium audio is a disappointment , I could have had an SR with autopilot for less....

I tried calling can’t get through to anyone.

Wish they would step up for loyal owners

I debated between the SR and plus, in the end spent the extra $2700 CDN mainly for better audio and leather , don’t really care about slight range improvement. Also paid 2k for grey. Was in no rush but they announced a 3% increase the following week. Then they drop the paint from 2k to $1300

The partial premium audio is a disappointment , I could have had an SR with autopilot for less....

I tried calling can’t get through to anyone.

Wish they would step up for loyal owners

I'm in the exact same boat.

Tesla conned me into getting the SR+ based on the fact that the SR would have different seats, mirrors, audio etc. (oh and 32km less range due to a "smaller" battery - note: if it's software locked then I wouldn't care about charging to 100% since it's not really -- on the SR+ I only go to 80%, so I'd end up getting the same range either way for 99% of the time).

Had I stuck to getting the SR I would have had a much better deal.
I have spoken with someone at Tesla, and they're entirely confused. I had to pay 2% extra PST due to a luxury tax, to add insult to injury.

Here's what I lost in 11 days. That, and the AP+car for the SR+ went down $1300 as well.

It's fraud to mislead a buyer like this. Telling them to buy one thing because the other lacks certain features, then instantly going back on it. They haven't even given myself or the person who referred me any SC credits.

SR Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.
Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax minus rebate
(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $52,900
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SR+ Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.
Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax (2% luxury taxes when >$56,000) minus rebate
(($51,000 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.14) - $5000 = $59,182
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price difference: $59,182 - $ 52,900 = $6,282

I'm in the exact same boat.

Tesla conned me into getting the SR+ based on the fact that the SR would have different seats, mirrors, audio etc. (oh and 32km less range due to a "smaller" battery - note: if it's software locked then I wouldn't care about charging to 100% since it's not really -- on the SR+ I only go to 80%, so I'd end up getting the same range either way for 99% of the time).

Had I stuck to getting the SR I would have had a much better deal.
I have spoken with someone at Tesla, and they're entirely confused. I had to pay 2% extra PST due to a luxury tax, to add insult to injury.

Here's what I lost in 11 days. That, and the AP+car for the SR+ went down $1300 as well.

It's fraud to mislead a buyer like this. Telling them to buy one thing because the other lacks certain features, then instantly going back on it. They haven't even given myself or the person who referred me any SC credits.

SR Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.
Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax minus rebate
(($47,600 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.12) - $5000 = $52,900

SR+ Model 3. Black interior/exterior, base wheels, AP added.
Base cost plus AP plus delivery times tax (2% luxury taxes when >$56,000) minus rebate
(($51,000 + $4000 + $1300) x 1.14) - $5000 = $59,182

Price difference: $59,182 - $ 52,900 = $6,282

I'm not sure why it's fraud, if you get more, you pay more. The taxes are not Tesla's fault. And even if your prices did change, that's the way the cookie crumbles.. my friends got cheaper airline tickets than me... good for them!

I want to add: I think there is a legal case for us to get our money back.
We were misled into getting a more expensive car based on a relative comparison to the cheaper car. For me anyway, in BC, that kicked it over into the luxury-car class, adding 2% more tax at the >$56k level.
Had I not been lied to about the SR, it's the car I would have purchased.
It burns even more because they also lowered the price 11 days after I picked my car up, even in the same category.
I will research small-claims court for this.
They can give me back my $6,282, and drop 32km off my battery - I don't give a *sugar* about that if it's the only difference between models now.
Alternately, they could, at no cost to them, add the fairly useless FSD and SC.
What a joke.

I'm not sure why it's fraud, if you get more, you pay more. The taxes are not Tesla's fault. And even if your prices did change, that's the way the cookie crumbles.. my friends got cheaper airline tickets than me... good for them!

Fair enough, but did I get more? Did I get what I was expecting as an advantage over the SR for over $6000?
20 miles of range for over $6000 extra cost, and that's it? An identical car otherwise?

I really didn't get more. Nothing like I was told.

EDIT: oh, and that range is inconsequential anyway. With a software locked battery I'd charge it up more than a physically limited battery. So, >$6000 for... nothing more.

Fair enough, but did I get more? Did I get what I was expecting as an advantage over the SR for over $6000?
20 miles of range for over $6000 extra cost, and that's it? An identical car otherwise?

I really didn't get more. Nothing like I was told.

EDIT: oh, and that range is inconsequential anyway. With a software locked battery I'd charge it up more than a physically limited battery. So, >$6000 for... nothing more.

I think I paid $9,000 for 30 miles more range on my Model X, so it seems about right. I can't remember what it cost to unlock a MX 60D to a 75D, but it wasn't cheap. I know how you feel, I bought an early version of the LR RWD Model 3 and now for the same price it comes with AWD standard. But, prices change and I'm cool with that. At this point, I consider the prices of Teslas to be like lobster at a restaurant... "market price", it depends on the day you buy it. :D

I do wish Tesla would change their pricing structure less often. I don't have a problem with price changes, but Tesla is flipping around so often people are confused and sometimes they feel like the got ripped off. Not being able to come up with and stick to a coherent price schedule for at least three months seems like a management problem and a bad marketing strategy.

I think it was at Costco, but anyway if something sells for cheaper there within 30 days, they refund you the difference. Sure would speed up the price-sensitive fencesitters (as well as increase delivered sales) if Tesla would do the same...

I was thinking just that. They should refund the full amount and process it again at a lower amount such that taxes are removed.
Have a price guarantee for 60 days and people would feel way more confident about buying.
Right now they are just generating turmoil for anyone thinking of buying.
I have several friends about to buy the Model 3 due to me giving them the whole pitch, but I'm asking them to hold off until Tesla deals with this situation. I'm so glad none of them went ahead with a purchase yet, or I'd be the ass. Only had my car 2 weeks today, so luckily haven't had much time to do damage! :)
I know my butthurt would be 50% less if all this hadn't happened a few days after my return-for-refund date; let's see what Tesla does next week.

Simple I was told that the following week prices were going up 3% Big différence to Sr+

The opposite happened.

2 weeks after people are getting a near Sr+ with autopilot for less then I paid

I understand, but you DID get the car that you ordered and paid for exactly as you ordered and paid for it, correct? If you were happy with your purchase at the time you made it, why would you worry about what happens afterwards? Technology-based products get better and cheaper all of the time. A Tesla is a technology product that you can drive.

If you can, I'd try to focus on enjoying your new car. It will be a lot more fun then lamenting a couple of different specs of a few bucks if you could have, would have or should have done something differently.

Cheers.

Reactions: P85_DA and omkar
It's called capital markets.
You cant game it to your advantage only

There were people on the other side of that bet.

That's wrong dude. We were literally lied to and coerced into not buying the SR.
I was told the exact same thing at the same time - going up 3%, act fast. SR will not have anywhere near the niceties of the Plus.
Instead, it ends up being the same car for a lot less. Same crappy sound; same no heated seats (in the back anyway as far as I know); same lack of traffic data or satellite map. It's the same car. I was talked out of buying it based on lies.
That's not capital market, that's straight up fraud.

I understand, but you DID get the car that you ordered and paid for exactly as you ordered and paid for it, correct? If you were happy with your purchase at the time you made it, why would you worry about what happens afterwards? Technology-based products get better and cheaper all of the time. A Tesla is a technology product that you can drive.

If you can, I'd try to focus on enjoying your new car. It will be a lot more fun then lamenting a couple of different specs of a few bucks if you could have, would have or should have done something differently.

Cheers.

I think what's not coming across here is:

Yeah, we love the car, at least I do. More than a grown man should. I love Tesla. I love their mission. I have many shares. I have followed them from the start, and was into every EV that came before Tesla was even around. The Model 3 is currently, IMHO, the best car in the world, and will remain so until a X/S refresh or the Y comes out (the Y being my actual dream car because it scores highest in every area).

The problem I'm having is being encouraged not to buy the SR based on lies. They should not have made up stories to get people to pay more.

I would happily have bought 6k in Tesla stock, and taken the SR had I known it was the car I'd be getting anyway. I would also donate to Tesla, and have suggested as much. I just don't like being lied to.

That's wrong dude. We were literally lied to and coerced into not buying the SR.
I was told the exact same thing at the same time - going up 3%, act fast. SR will not have anywhere near the niceties of the Plus.
Instead, it ends up being the same car for a lot less. Same crappy sound; same no heated seats (in the back anyway as far as I know); same lack of traffic data or satellite map. It's the same car. I was talked out of buying it based on lies.
That's not capital market, that's straight up fraud.

Nope this happens all the time.
You just weren't aware of it because there's usually a middleman - dealer - in the middle.
You're none the wiser: ignorance was bliss You've been 'taken' before and you weren't even aware of it.
Material and product prices change daily that's the market!

Not so legendary now if you've been 'taken'.