Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X last night and...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports did put Model X reliability at much worse level than Model S. My own experience fits.

Of course the issues are less glaring than they were in early 2016, but still it seems more issues persist on the Model S side.
Not only much worse than Model S, Model X was dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars.

A year ago, Model X was in the middle of the 10 least reliable at 10 Least Reliable Cars.

Pulled into driveway and got an error message, limited A/C battery cooling contact Tesla service. Needless to say a flat bed is on its way to pick it up. Pretty upset, sad got to drive it once. 44 mi. Took a leap on Tesla and now beginning to second guess myself anyone else. Anyone else get this error?

To make it even worse they are closed until Tuesday.
So I got this message right after the Xmas update during extremely cold weather (around -10F). I looked it up on-line and a few people were getting the same error after the update and said it simply went away. Sure enough, I drove the car and it went away and never came back. That was on 24 December, have driven about a thousand miles since then. Strange.

Not only much worse than Model S, Model X was dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars.

A year ago, Model X was in the middle of the 10 least reliable at 10 Least Reliable Cars.
The only reason why Model-X was in the middle pack a year ago is due to lack of data.

Model-X reliability has been generally getting better. Tesla occasionally make some changes that temporarily lower the reliability, but eventually resolve the issues.

Unfortunately I’m in the other camp. Bought a MX 100D inventory vehicle with ~900 miles on it and took delivery mid-November. I figured that since it was an inventory car any “infant mortality” issues would already have manifested and been taken care of. When I picked up the car, I noticed the satellite radio wasn’t working — had to go back to have the XM radio antenna installed, which was left out by the factory. Was at the service center for over a week waiting for parts. Got it back, ran great for 3-4 weeks, then got a warning message “Car Needs Service: Steering Assist Reduced”. Took it back to the SC, spent another week+ with them investigating the issue, but they could never determine the root cause. Got it back, and a week later I go to raise the 3rd row seats, there’s a popping sound and the left seat won’t unfold. E-mailed the service advisor (he and I know each other well now), he’s very apologetic, he orders a new seat cable and will let me know when it’s in.

The local SC (Pittsburgh/Wexford) has been great through this...they gave me a Model X loaner both times and did valet pickup and drop off, and have been very accommodating to my schedule. That doesn’t change the fact that a car with ~2000 miles on it shouldn’t have had to go in for service three times. My previous car was a Lexus RX and it was in for scheduled maintenance once a year, other than that, zero problems in 40k+ miles. Tesla’s QA is not yet where it needs to be for a luxury car company or a mass-market company. I still love driving the MX, and there’s nothing else like it, but I’d rather drive MY car than a loaner.

Sorry to hear that. We took possession of our New Inventory X90D in July with roughly 1500 miles on the Odo. Had to bring it in to have the charge port door adjusted as it wasn't closing completely on its own. Been rock solid for the last 5,000+ miles.

Reactions: spectrum
Limited A/C and battery cooling Issue here too.

Picked up MX 6/23/18, drive around town. AC no issue. Took our first trip LA to Vegas and 45 min before arrival to Vegas- Limited A/C and battery cooling came on. Had driven 200+ miles with no issue on our trip.

Customer Service assured me it’s ok to drive the car but it is 106 in Vegas and the cabin was 122 degrees, not cooling, fan blowing at 11. Hot air blowing.

Drive and I was getting heat stroke symptoms. Still CS says it’s ok to drive.

Parked the car overnight. Outside weather 80 degrees overnight and cabin now 91 degrees. Fan to cool car cabin and battery still running since parking the car at 7:00pm. It has been trying to cool for 14+ hrs.

Service in Vegas could not squeeze me in to check the car until 7/2. Have an appt in Buena Park for 7/5 soonest available.

I have to drive back to LA and hope we can make it in the desert heat. I have my 80 yr old parents with me since they accompanied me on the trip.

Anyone find out what the issue may be? I have been reading all threads and I see some with issues in colder weather. I went to a super charger station and saw other MX charging.

Curious is anyone in Vegas has experienced this in the desert. My second longest drive will be to Arizona and I’m concerned.

Attachments

• FF50D4D6-709C-40C3-A0D6-3D9193C450A1.jpeg
    FF50D4D6-709C-40C3-A0D6-3D9193C450A1.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 42A35141-EB1B-45B1-807A-6C92CA094577.jpeg
    42A35141-EB1B-45B1-807A-6C92CA094577.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 person

Picked up MX 6/23/18, drive around town. AC no issue. Took our first trip LA to Vegas and 45 min before arrival to Vegas- Limited A/C and battery cooling came on. Had driven 200+ miles with no issue on our trip.

Customer Service assured me it’s ok to drive the car but it is 106 in Vegas and the cabin was 122 degrees, not cooling, fan blowing at 11. Hot air blowing.

Parked the car overnight. Outside weather 80 degrees overnight and cabin now 91 degrees. Fan to cool car cabin and battery still running since parking the car at 7:00pm. It has been trying to cool for 14+ hrs.

Service in Vegas could not squeeze me in to check the car until 7/2. Have an appt in Buena Park for 7/5 soonest available.

I have to drive back to LA and hope we can make it in the desert heat. I have my 80 yr old parents with me since they accompanied me on the trip.

Anyone find out what the issue may be? I have been reading all threads and I see some with issues in colder weather. I went to a super charger station and saw other MX charging.

Curious is anyone in Vegas has experienced this in the desert. My second longest drive will be to Arizona and I’m concerned.

Common sense says this is a no-go! Your car obviously has no cooling capacity, so a drive through the desert is not going to end well.

Reactions: 1 person

Mine just did the same thing today, Just blowing hot air. I took delivery on 6/25/18. Looks like ours were on the same batch. What was the resolution and how long did it take to get fixed? I'm taking mine into the SC first thing in the morning.

Mine just did the same thing today, Just blowing hot air. I took delivery on 6/25/18. Looks like ours were on the same batch. What was the resolution and how long did it take to get fixed? I'm taking mine into the SC first thing in the morning.
Las Vegas SC squeezed me in. They said AC issue in the dessert in high temps is an urgent issue for repair. AC compressor was replaced. Took about 1 week. After pick up, I noticed low air flow from a vent in the 2nd row (I have 7 seater configuration). SC in Buena Park said vents were leaking and not connected correctly. All good now and air is super cold. If I didn’t have an adult passenger in the middle row that informed me they didn’t feel much air from the vent, I would have never know there was an issue with that. Check air flow to all vents on all settings. Will save you a second trip to SC.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
Las Vegas SC squeezed me in. They said AC issue in the dessert in high temps is an urgent issue for repair. AC compressor was replaced. Took about 1 week. After pick up, I noticed low air flow from a vent in the 2nd row (I have 7 seater configuration). SC in Buena Park said vents were leaking and not connected correctly. All good now and air is super cold. If I didn’t have an adult passenger in the middle row that informed me they didn’t feel much air from the vent, I would have never know there was an issue with that. Check air flow to all vents on all settings. Will save you a second trip to SC.
Thank you for your response. here is my update with the AC. Today, I took my MX to the Cathedral City, CA SC at 7:30am and I was back on the road at 7:40am with a Model S loaner. Within an hour I looked at my app, and they had it in the service bay, doors open working on the AC. I was worried that they wouldn't get to it with all the new cars in line to be prepped for delivery. This is my first issue with the car, and so far I'm impressed with Tesla customer service. Waiting to hear what is wrong.

My Model X A/C didn't get errors, but it wasn't effective at all. Warm air would come out of it almost every time. Turns out, it had almost no freon gas. The service center recharged it and it's way better now.