Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up car issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the salesperson just got a hold of me he told me that if I do return it I cannot order another one of the same trim. Which is insane to me, so I told him I need to speak to a manager. I think I'm also going to take it to the service center see if they think it's as bad as they think it is, I do not want a new bumper for sure. And if they can fix the alignment of those gaps, and not replace the bumper, then everything else is fine.

That bumper situation is potentially no big deal. They can replace it in a half hour. I would not worry about that.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
MikeR55

That is crazy, I agree. In no way should you be punished for Tesla’s negligence. They are going to push you to accept this car as hard as they possibly can. For one, if you take it, they don’t need to worry about unloading it to someone else. And for 2, they can then sell the one without issues and not have to go through this again. You are not being picky or difficult, these aren’t minor issues. Again, I’ve never seen such bad alignment on the trunk, in any picture online or in person. My worry would be, why was that so misaligned that it passed QC? This is $54,000, not a used Kia. You don’t need to know anything about cars to know that doesn’t look right.

It’s your money, and it’s a lot of it. I would be worried about possible issues down the road you haven’t seen yet. I just feel you deserve a lot better. You’re not getting a great deal on this car or buying a demo model, and your car should be of no less quality than anyone else paying full price. It’s not your fault that these issues exist and do not let Tesla punish you for this! Be strong and again, the best of luck to you! Let us know what happens!

New bumper new paint on a 2 hour old car? Seems a little odd and may not match or an I bring too anal?

You're worrying too much. There have been a ton of people who get a mismatch between the bumper (plastic) and the body (metal) from the factory. They never match 100% anyway. One guy on YouTube got a new bumper after an accident - and the bumper matched better than the original! And on a brand new car with a brand new bumper with brand new paint on both - you've nothing to worry about. And if it doesn't match, they'll swap the bumper again. But again, I think you're worrying too much. Let them do it - it's REALLY simple to swap for the service center.

• Disagree
Reactions: MikeR55 and GreenT
The answer is no you are not being too anal!

If you accept this car, I would demand some kind of compensation just for having to take it in and have the bumper replaced. I don’t know about you, but my time isn’t free and this is absolutely no fault of yours in any way.

Sometimes you have to be a little difficult to get what you deserve. This isn’t a used car, nor is it a budget model, and it should be perfect (as far as your expectations are concerned).

My bumper is a perfect match, and I’ve been a professional commercial painting contractor for 20 years. Although I will agree, quality in general is always subjective. But I personally would never buy a brand new car that was not perfect in my subjective opinion. It has to be perfect in my eyes, as it’s a mass produced product, not real estate and if it’s not, give me one that is!

If you simply return and get your money back then just place a new order there is no issue.
The prob is w the return and getting the same model I believe they have an issue with.
The way to bypass this is not to exchange, return and reorder.

Another thing, it’s a myth that painting plastic and metal won’t match. You’re not painting over plastic or metal, you’re painting over primer. The only reason they have color matching issues is because the plastic pieces are painted in a different booth/setup than the raw metal. But it’s all primed and the paint color (multiple coats) should not be affected by the surface if properly primed (which is always done prior to painting. Nothing on this car is covered in raw paint without being primed.

My bumper is a perfect match, and I’ve been a professional commercial painting contractor for 20 years. Although I will agree, quality in general is always subjective. But I personally would never buy a brand new car that was not perfect in my subjective opinion. It has to be perfect in my eyes, as it’s a mass produced product, not real estate and if it’s not, give me one that is!

As a car enthusiast for far longer than 20 years, I'll tell you your paint is not a perfect match between the bumper and body. They're painted differently, at different times, among other factors. Also, plastic ages very differently to metal, so over time the white bumper will likely yellow way before the metal does.

If you simply return and get your money back then just place a new order there is no issue.
The prob is w the return and getting the same model I believe they have an issue with.
The way to bypass this is not to exchange, return and reorder.

I am being told you cannot just returning place a new order. Because they will not let you order the same car because people were abusing a system? Right now the manager of the sales guy, is calling over to the place I picked it up from to see if they actually did submitted as delivered, if they didn't then it's easy, if they did then it is not so easy apparently.

I am being told you cannot just returning place a new order. Because they will not let you order the same car because people were abusing a system? Right now the manager of the sales guy, is calling over to the place I picked it up from to see if they actually did submitted as delivered, if they didn't then it's easy, if they did then it is not so easy apparently.

Yes, they may not let you order the same car if you took delivery. You've potentially cornered yourself a little by taking delivery, but that said - they really can take care of all these issues in one business day. Your call, of course.

Another thing, it’s a myth that painting plastic and metal won’t match. You’re not painting over plastic or metal, you’re painting over primer. The only reason they have color matching issues is because the plastic pieces are painted in a different booth/setup than the raw metal. But it’s all primed and the paint color (multiple coats) should not be affected by the surface if properly primed (which is always done prior to painting. Nothing on this car is covered in raw paint without being primed.

This disagrees with you:

Paint Matching Plastic Bumpers to Metal Body Parts

Well the woman when I picked it up said take it home she's going to call service and she's not going to put it in till the end of the day anyway for official delivery. Now they're telling me they did put it in. But my sales manager is calling over to them to see what the real story is.

My friend in florida did that exact thing last week.
They gave him that line of BS too. He simply returned. Next day placed new order.
Had tesla do the financing instead of his bank and was super easy.

I guess the question is other than paint matching, can replacing a bumper affect resale? Does that now get put into the car facts that the bumper was replaced. Or not because it's not an accident?

No, and there's no way anyone would ever know the bumper was replaced unless they somehow damaged every single clip when replacing it. There's no Carfax on it because there's no accident report. Again, you're overthinking this.

And then my other question would be, with this tiny bit of paint chip doesn't even matter? Does the bumper even need to be replaced, doesn't even need to be touched up? Is it worth it to replace the bumper for a tiny bit of paint chip? Tesla wants to make it right by doing that, but is it really necessary? Better to leave a tiny paint chip, or better to have a whole bumper replaced?

And then my other question would be, with this tiny bit of paint chip doesn't even matter? Does the bumper even need to be replaced, doesn't even need to be touched up? Is it worth it to replace the bumper for a tiny bit of paint chip? Tesla wants to make it right by doing that, but is it really necessary? Better to leave a tiny paint chip, or better to have a whole bumper replaced?

That's your call. That pearl white is a pain in the butt to touch up. I've not seen anyone do it satisfactorily without doing a respray/blend. And, ironically, it's quicker to replace a bumper than to sand scratches, paint a few layers, and clear-coat it.