Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up our 2nd Tesla. Must keep it a secret from my wife until she sees the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
I'm picking up a Model Y AWD in a few days, our second Tesla. My wife will be working at the time. It is for her and must be a complete surprise when she returns home.

We both have the Tesla app on our phones. The new Y will be added to the same account.

Will the app automatically notify her when I pick up the Y after it is added to our account? This must be hidden from her until she gets home.

She does not see this coming at all and her mind will be absolutely blown!

Advice appreciated.

Changing the Web account password will disconnect her phone App and any messages.
She will still be able to drive using the access card.

Sometime I cannot connect to my car because of connectivity or it take for ever,
I can enter using Bluetooth but I need to use my key card to start.

This comes to mind....

Early last year, when the Model Y first came out, there as a guy who recorded himself driving up the driveway (more like a dirt road) and surprised his wife and kids. It's out on YouTube somewhere but she clearly had no idea he was doing that and the kid's reaction was cute too but yeah...something most married couples should talk about beforehand.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
This comes to mind....
Another similar story from the 'Big Car' channel: The Panther Lazer (time: 3:04)
Note: This car looks like a mini CyberTruck !!!

That same year Panther were approached by a Canadian businessman
to produce a special car as a present for his wife.

Now this should be a warning message to everyone listening,
never make a major purchasing decision without consulting your significant other.

In particular, never decide to get a custom car produced for someone else to your exact specifications,
without first stopping and thinking if this is really a good idea.

Thankfully for all our enjoyment in this case he didn’t, and as a warning to us all Panther produced,
to his exact specifications, this – the Panther Lazer.

Is it cool, yes, if you’re a teenager who’s just seen “Wacky Races”,

is it an appropriate present to give to your wife when she’s had no input into the design at all?
Absolutely not!

No wonder then that the gift went down like a sausage roll at a bar mitzvah.

It was sent back to Panther’s UK factory where it languished,
only to be purchased by the Crown Prince of Iran, who was, of course at teenage boy and thought it was fantastic!

• Funny
Reactions: EchoDelta
Don't worry, when the Model Y was first revealed, she asked me to trade in my OMB Model 3 for a red Model Y. It has come up several times since then. I told her no way that would happen. We test drove a Model Y last summer "just to do something different". She absolutely loved it, much more than my 3 (which she actually drives more than I do).

If I see you on the side of I45 with a Model 3, looking homeless, I'll be sure to give you a thumbs up!

LOL.

In all seriousness, I don't think that there are any push notifications for adding a new vehicle. If you wanted to be REALLY certain, why not just drive it with the keycards until she knows about it, and then add it to the app later?

If I see you on the side of I45 with a Model 3, looking homeless, I'll be sure to give you a thumbs up!

LOL.

In all seriousness, I don't think that there are any push notifications for adding a new vehicle. If you wanted to be REALLY certain, why not just drive it with the keycards until she knows about it, and then add it to the app later?
I was told it's added to the app when I take possession. Even without a notification, she might see the new vehicle.

Changing the password works for me.

This comes to mind....
I just watched this. Oh wow!

There are similarities to my situation. I was furloughed effective May 2020.

The difference is I went all-in on TSLA March 19 last year and my net worth is now ~13x times what it was. My wife still thinks I'm looking for a job and we are struggling. This is why it will shock her completely.

I don't know if she'll be more blown away by the car or by realizing we are financially secure.

I can't wait until Thursday.

I just watched this. Oh wow!

There are similarities to my situation. I was furloughed effective May 2020.

The difference is I went all-in on TSLA March 19 last year and my net worth is now ~13x times what it was. My wife still thinks I'm looking for a job and we are struggling. This is why it will shock her completely.

I don't know if she'll be more blown away by the car or by realizing we are financially secure.

I can't wait until Thursday.

wow!!! What a ride!!! happy for you!!!
Congrats!

it is still short term capital gain, that mean you will pay 37% tax. Depending on your state tax rate, you may lose another 10%...
So 13x may become 7x after tax...still good gain!

Congrats!

it is still short term capital gain, that mean you will pay 37% tax. Depending on your state tax rate, you may lose another 10%...
IRA all the way. No state tax in Texas.

It's great to not sweat tax implications.

Mo City: Tread carefully. You need to simultaneously deliver the "financially secure" message along with the Tesla.

Perhaps a very clear sign that says, "Bought this with funds earned from my TSLA stock."

W/o that information, she could have a meltdown moment...seriously...
Nah. I'm the tightwad in the family. I keep the books, am good at it and she knows I'm very responsible. No chance of her thinking, "You bought what???". It'll be more like, "We're doing good after all?"

^^^YES!!! Mo City: keep the video running. We may have another Tiger Woods head bashing incident!!! (I hope not)

Actually, how about an SNL spoof? THAT would be funny...consumer video, spoofing SNL, spoofing Tesla (Lexus)

Congrats!

He never said he sold all his TSLA shares. Wait two months and it will be long term capital gains.

What a gift it will be! Congrats!

edit: I see he had posted its on his retirement account. Even better!