Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up some IKEA stuff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a couple weeks our plan is to take the Model 3 to buy some of that awesome flat packed furniture that takes an afternoon to put together. My worry isn't about the overall weight (2 back seat passengers would weight as much the cargo we are buying). Since they are long heavy packages, my worry is more about the pressure that is being put on the back seats that are folded down. I've seen other car back seats that have been ruined (or at least bent) due to too much cargo on them. Anyone have experience loading heavy stuff on the folded back seat?

In a couple weeks our plan is to take the Model 3 to buy some of that awesome flat packed furniture that takes an afternoon to put together. My worry isn't about the overall weight (2 back seat passengers would weight as much the cargo we are buying). Since they are long heavy packages, my worry is more about the pressure that is being put on the back seats that are folded down. I've seen other car back seats that have been ruined (or at least bent) due to too much cargo on them. Anyone have experience loading heavy stuff on the folded back seat?

If the package is long, the weight on top of the fold down seat portion is probably only about 35% of the packages. The rest are in the trunk. You probably only have about 50 lb on top of each of the back seats. And if you open up the trunk button lid and put the tail end into the open area, the front of the package may not even be resting on top the fold down seats.

I just had some Ikea boxes in there this weekend. Didn't cause any issues - as mentioned above, the weight was balanced.

I've had some heavy stuff on just the seats before and yes, they'll get impressions from the seatbelt latches, but the material is pretty resilient so you should be fine as long as the weight isn't concentrated and not for longer than necessary.

Why risk it? Just borrow a buddy's truck or rent a uhaul.
This is why I want a trailer hitch. I like to woodwork as a hobby, but you can forget getting what you need at Home Depot in this car. I have resigned to not being able to just buy what I need for a current project, and instead periodically rent a truck and buy lots of wood. I would love to be able to haul stuff around as needed, and free up space that is now used for storing wood. I don't need or expect a large towing capacity, but it would be nice to pull a small trailer that could hold a sheet or 2 of plywood.

I think IKEA delivers unlimited packages for $30.

I just had some Ikea boxes in there this weekend. Didn't cause any issues - as mentioned above, the weight was balanced.

I've had some heavy stuff on just the seats before and yes, they'll get impressions from the seatbelt latches, but the material is pretty resilient so you should be fine as long as the weight isn't concentrated and not for longer than necessary.

Yeah the seatbelt latches leave indents in the seats, but they do dissipate soon after putting the seats back up.