Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoken with my sales advisor and he's let me know that there is 2019 new inventory MX long range (pre-April 23rd so not new motors or suspension) that comes with free life-time supercharging..

I currently have on order an almost fully loaded MX (minus ludicrous and performance) post-April 23rd. He's currently offering the "old model" around £12k cheaper (mid 80's). Throwing in the free supercharging (which I'll rely on quite heavily) I'm estimating around a £16-17k saving + cheaper monthly PCP deal + cheaper BIK + I get it in a few weeks (which is not a deal breaker)

What would you do? o_O I don't know what to do as I've ping-ponged between an order on the old model, now newer model, now back to old model. £16k is quite a saving in my book...

save money - always wonder if you should have bought the latest
spend money - always wonder if it was worth the extra

not helpful i know :)

fwiw - either will be great - there is no wrong decision, and being a 2019 the inventory will have the latest cameras and might be worth double checking re MCU2

I had/have the same dilemma. I reckoned £12k for a MS if the exact same spec was available on inventory. Yesterday knocked £3k off that, arguably, but then there's less inventory right now and they could knock more £ off the next wave.

For me I felt the extra range was only really that valuable if it changed my day to day use or day to day battery management significantly, which depends heavily on use case.

Yes I figured the same. The extra 10% range will only be applicable on long journeys which I rarely make. Other changes would be suspension and 4.4 vs 4.7 0-60 times. Since I don’t have off street parking the supercharging network will be great and there is something about free “fuel” that is appealing.

I think I'd be saving the money.

I'd have the range.

What's the free supercharging worth to you? 100 quid a year maybe?

And how are they doing free supercharging? I thought those deals went away ages ago (just want to be sure if Salesman actually has the deal to offer ... but I'm probably out-of-touch)

Unlimited supercharging trumps a little bit more range from a more efficient motor

Depends ... I think that Supercharging is worth very little in Cash terms. Extra Range is worth time-saved, on every journey that is range-sensitive.

I currently have on order an almost fully loaded MX (minus ludicrous and performance) post-April 23rd

I may be mis-remembering but I thought you were an existing owner? If so you are entitled to freebie upgrade for Ludicrous.

The extra 10% range will only be applicable on long journeys which I rarely make
Throwing in the free supercharging (which I'll rely on quite heavily)

Well ... yup ... "Range is only worthwhile IF you need it" :)

So maybe your frequent Supercharging is because you don't have off-road parking?

I am high-mileage and supercharging on a couple of days a month and each 10% range (starting with old 75 range, and then old 100, and now new 100) makes a significant difference to how often, and how long, I would have to charge, and also to how often I have to detour.

£10K for an extra 10% range look terrible per mile ... but assuming 50% depreciation is £5K spread over, say, 3 years and thus £140 a month. Personally I'd rather have the time available for leisure, or earning :)

10% range also more than takes care of battery degradation over 3 years / 100,000 miles, and further helps in Winter too.

Free supercharging came back a few days ago on New Inventory (first in the USA, now in the UK). I presume they want to shift "old stock".

With no off street parking supercharging is probably worth about £4000 to me.. 250mi per charge ~£25-30/charge over 4 years at say 10k miles per year. Going by your calculations (and mine) the £140 monthly savings would equate to me not having to charge at a supercharger (assuming I get an extra 10%) about 4 times a year which amounts to my time being worth about £500/hr. I haven't quite reached a gross salary of £1M / year so not I'm worried about this point ;) but maybe something to consider in the future.

As I've mentioned the extra range is likely to be worth it if you are doing a full capacity round trip but my daily commute is either into London by car or by tube and even if I do make long trips I'll always schedule a stop off for a break, that is unless FSD is so good that "I" can drive a full 300mi without getting tired.

Unfortunately I don't have a Tesla so I'm not entitled to a ludicrous upgrade. Maybe next time when the PCP deal dries up.

I'd have the range.

That's what I'm doing, but it's horses for courses. I have the same dilemma, same info, but just different use case.

My expectation is nearly all home and work charging and long journeys.

Thanks everyone for the late night advice. Now...Does anyone want an Audi A3 e-tron?

I can't help but think the Audi would've served neither of us, given the discussion points above. I'm sure it wouldn't do me anyway. Interested to know what you thought of it though in comparison? Presume you can't have had it for long?

Last edited:
Free supercharging came back a few days ago on New Inventory

Cool, thanks for that info.

With no off street parking supercharging

That's a huge negative currently, isn't it. Supercharging not ideal as the primary charging source (both for battery longevity and also your time sat there waiting), but Hey! I'm with you on that one in current state of the market.

Type-2 charging whilst doing the Weekly Shop might be an option, but our weekly shop now gets delivered to the door ...

.. so what we really need is FSD so you can just send the car off to charge itself :) ... and collect the weekly shop whilst it is there :D

I can't help but think the Audi would've served neither of us, given the discussion points above. I'm sure it wouldn't do me anyway. Interested to know what you thought of it though in comparison? Presume you can't have had it for long?

I've had it for 4 years and it's served me well with no problems. For the first couple of years I "abused" the free Source London charging for most of my local trips and had the added benefit of no congestion charge and free parking in Westminster. Given the parking dilemma I have been charging across a pavement (very safely I must say) and given the ICE back-up, long trips have been ok. Performance was ok, a little heavy and mpg was better than the diesel equivalent. The MX choice was (1) I need a bigger car for the family, (2) can afford it (otherwise I'd just get a Ford Galaxy :p), (3) I've decided that based upon my existing EV experience and capability to charge where I am I could go full EV with a much bigger range. The free supercharging is just icing on the cake.

That's a huge negative currently, isn't it. Supercharging not ideal as the primary charging source (both for battery longevity and also your time sat there waiting), but Hey! I'm with you on that one in current state of the market.

Type-2 charging whilst doing the Weekly Shop might be an option, but our weekly shop now gets delivered to the door ...

.. so what we really need is FSD so you can just send the car off to charge itself :) ... and collect the weekly shop whilst it is there :D

No off-street parking is a ball ache but I didn't envisage owning an EV 6 years ago when I moved house. Lamp post charging has cropped up on streets nearby but at 38p/kW it's extortionate.

I'm not concerned about battery longevity since I'll likely change car in 4-5 years and by then we'll have FSD with 200kW batteries which will charge by by perpetual motion alone. (plus I hope to have moved house by then)...I'll bump this thread in 4 years when I'm overweight from drinking too many lattes whilst waiting for the car to charge to see how things have gone.

charge by by perpetual motion alone

Don't laugh, but when I was in for Tires the guy, in an ICE Jag in front of me did say: "Does it use an alternator to charge" :)

I'm overweight from drinking too many lattes whilst waiting for the car to charge

Definitely a problem. Stopped at three superchargers yesterday (picked a route that I thought would favour Traffic / Roadworks plus had Supercharges en-route and I decided I'd short-charge at Stop-2 and see if I could skip No 3 ... @ No 3 I knew I had significant roadworks ahead of me, but Trip Graph was saying 5% arrival and I decided splash-and-dash. But I was good and only bought a bottle of water (well, and some M&Ms :) ) ... probably should have skipped that stop

600 mile range ICE is much most healthy / cheaper on Snacks ...