Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pickling up my Model 3 in Fremont tomorrow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told a delivery person was bringing it to the Target shopping center in Fremont.. is this strange? It totally caught me off guard and seems strange as I expected to go to a showroom etc. Also my noon appointment know comes with a noon to 2pm which I normally wouldn't mind if it was home delivery but I'm driving almost 3hrs to pick it up.

Weird, I would request that they just meet you at the Fremont facility, especially since it’s close to the Target. But if it’s the target I am thinking of, then there’s a lot of shopping to keep you occupied for a few hours (but to me that’s pretty unacceptable).

Weird, I would request that they just meet you at the Fremont facility, especially since it’s close to the Target. But if it’s the target I am thinking of, then there’s a lot of shopping to keep you occupied for a few hours (but to me that’s pretty unacceptable).
That's exactly what I was thinking! Seems super sketchy especially since my account says I'm picking up at the delivery hub and I called today (less than 24hrs before my pick up time) just to confirm everything and they switch the location!

First time I am hearing that delivery arrangement, but if not mistaken there are Superchargers there at Target and maybe with the Q1 rush to deliver as many cars as possible they simply can’t charge all vehicles to be delivered as needed? Did read someone here say their delivery person said they would need to charge their car themselves because they didn’t have the time to do so for all the cars they got in. What delivery location is on your account now? Was that updated to the Target address?

Let us know how it goes.

First time I am hearing that delivery arrangement, but if not mistaken there are Superchargers there at Target and maybe with the Q1 rush to deliver as many cars as possible they simply can’t charge all vehicles to be delivered as needed? Did read someone here say their delivery person said they would need to charge their car themselves because they didn’t have the time to do so for all the cars they got in.

Let us know how it goes.
Would you accept this or demand some sort of compensation? This is my first car purchase of my life and I've had my past car for almost 13 years so I think I'm calling in the morning to say it's not acceptable.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
Would you accept this or demand some sort of compensation? This is my first car purchase of my life and I've had my past car for almost 13 years so I think I'm calling in the morning to say it's not acceptable.

Compensation for what? Tesla has produced a lot of cars and they don’t have much in the way of parking space for all of them. True for locations around the country and even here in the Bay area. When I got my car in September we went to the delivery center in Fremont across 880 from the factory. The place was jammed full of cars for delivery and they also had apparently rented parking lot space from a few nearby office buildings to temporarily park the cars. They might have lost use of those lots or simply have even more demand now. Think I heard they were delivering like 100 or more cars just that one day of my delivery. Your traditional dealership doesn’t see this kind of delivery schedule day in and day out at end of a quarter push. While I think it’s a bit unusual from what I experienced, I can see it being an actual fact. I would plan on going for my delivery if I was you and call and verify the location again when you are there. I know in the past one person on the East coast said they had to drive some miles from the delivery center to a fenced in lot where they met a dozen or so other new owners and they all took delivery of their cars...so yeah maybe it has come down to a Target Supercharger location here in the Bay area.

One good thing about that location would be you could make sure your car can charge, ie no issues with the charge port, and get a feel for how to do that especially if this is your first EV. Super easy but have seen newbies kind of struggle to know what to do. If you are 3 hours away, you’ll want to be charged up.

Tesla is different than any other experience you have had in the past because they are a different car company. They think outside the box with everything from home deliveries etc. And the car will be different than anything you have experienced and so worth getting in the end. People on here gripe about the communication etc in getting their cars, but almost everyone will tell you it was worth it and feel it’s the best car they have owned.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel more comfortable here’s the Supercharger location in Fremont. I’m sure it’s OK. Thinking you will have more company there with other new owners and maybe all your cars will be charging when you get there. In the meantime if you get there early you can grab something or do a bathroom break at Target or places nearby.

7356F8A6-097C-4A13-8DC2-89000CD1D0A1.png

Last edited:
My guess is you’ll want to head over to the Supercharger area.

98FDDB12-0DED-46F9-AB64-B71BB9E026B6.jpeg

Here’s the TMC thread on this Supercharger site with photos: Supercharger - Fremont Hub Shopping Center (LIVE 27 Apr 2018)

Get you phone paired to the car before you leave, keep your card key with you in case your phone has an issue connecting and make sure you know where to tap it, check your turn signals out, regen braking will probably be new to you unless you’ve driven an EV before so maybe start out on low and drive around the parking lot until you feel comfortable with the basics.

If there are current owners charging they will generally be helpful answering any questions you have. Oh and your car comes with two phone cables—one iPhone and one Android. If you need two of the same kind ask others new owners there if they want to swap one out. We did that at delivery and worked out well for both of us and saved having to get a new cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
This what I was assuming, they might need to charge as they don't have enough plugs
at the Service Center on Page Ave, which the more common delivery place.

So this will save time to do the paperwork will charging the car :)

However, the Showroom located at the Tesla Factory would be more appropriate,
because this location Superchargers and also
just in case for example if there is a need to print something?

Or may be it's just a way to handle the surge for the end of the quarter?

Also my noon appointment know comes with a noon to 2pm which I normally wouldn't mind
if it was home delivery but I'm driving almost 3hrs to pick it up.
What kind of payment are you using (transfer already done, Certified Check payment, Credit Loan payment...)
This is what take most of the time when processing the paperwork.

So be ready to wait before meeting someone and while processing the ownership.
Also, did you send already all the insurance information in advance?

One point interesting is that now in California, the dealer needs to print temporary licences plates,
I wonder if this can be done in advance before signing the paperwork?

Last edited:
I don’t think the Factory is a good place to do deliveries. Too much going on and the parking lot there is generally pretty full. They are giving tours from there and all kinds of delivery trucks in the area. Such a huge place too. Our delivery was south of this Target Supercharger location on Fremont Blvd at their Delivery Center (47623 Fremont Blvd), west side of 880, and in an office park area. If they are doing deliveries at Target SCs you can bet they are processing a lot of orders right now.

This what I was assuming, they might need to charge as they don't have enough plugs
at the Service Center on Page Ave, which the more common delivery place.

So this will save time to do the paperwork will charging the car :)

However, the Showroom located at the Tesla Factory would be more appropriate,
because this location Superchargers and also
just in case for example if there is a need to print something?

Or may be it's just a way to handle the surge for the end of the quarter?

What kind of payment are you using (transfer already done, Certified Check payment, Credit Loan payment...)
This is what take most of the time when processing the paperwork.

So be ready to wait before meeting someone and while processing the ownership.
Also, did you send already all the insurance information in advance?

One point interesting is that now in California, the dealer needs to print temporary licences plates,
I wonder if this can be done in advance before signing the paperwork?
Cashiers checks (1 personal and 1 loan)and I've completed everything else online already. Just have to bring my I.D. and checks.

I don’t think the Factory is a good place to do deliveries. Too much going on and the parking lot there is generally pretty full. They are giving tours from there and all kinds of delivery trucks in the area. Such a huge place too. Our delivery was south of this Target Supercharger location on Fremont Blvd at their Delivery Center (47623 Fremont Blvd), west side of 880, and in an office park area. If they are doing deliveries at Target SCs you can bet they are processing a lot of orders right now.
Yeah on my account page it still says I'm supposed to pick it at at the delivery hub like you.

My guess is you’ll want to head over to the Supercharger area.

View attachment 391806

Here’s the TMC thread on this Supercharger site with photos: Supercharger - Fremont Hub Shopping Center (LIVE 27 Apr 2018)

Get you phone paired to the car before you leave, keep your card key with you in case your phone has an issue connecting and make sure you know where to tap it, check your turn signals out, regen braking will probably be new to you unless you’ve driven an EV before so maybe start out on low and drive around the parking lot until you feel comfortable with the basics.

If there are current owners charging they will generally be helpful answering any questions you have. Oh and your car comes with two phone cables—one iPhone and one Android. If you need two of the same kind ask others new owners there if they want to swap one out. We did that at delivery and worked out well for both of us and saved having to get a new cable.
Good advice thanks. What did you mean by start out low?

What did you mean by start out low?

There's two settings for regen braking, low and standard. On standard, the car will slow pretty aggressively when you let off the accelerator rather than coasting like a normal car. On low, it doesn't do it as much.

With regen braking you have to keep the accelerator pressed down slightly to coast. Doesn't take long to get used to. Personally I don't see a need to start out on low, but it's your preference.

• Informative
No, they aren’t going to compensate you. Cancel the delivery or arrange for a different location. Personally I don’t see the big deal. Either you’ve paid already or are bringing a check. The car will be in the sun which makes inspection easier and it sounds like you can charge it if need be.