Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, went ahead and tried out one plastidip cover. Like I thought, its pretty easy to do just the covers since there is no masking or trying to get plastidip off tires.

20200605_130151.jpg
20200605_084221.jpg

Like most plastidip...looks pretty good from 2' away, though amateur hour when looking at it real close. I still am trying to only get White and Black on the car, and have decided against rim savers for now.

I don't know...I will probably go ahead and do all 4 and just accept it as temporary, or a test to see how long plastidip lasts on wheels.

OK, went ahead and tried out one plastidip cover. Like I thought, its pretty easy to do just the covers since there is no masking or trying to get plastidip off tires.

View attachment 548305 View attachment 548306

Like most plastidip...looks pretty good from 2' away, though amateur hour when looking at it real close. I still am trying to only get White and Black on the car, and have decided against rim savers for now.

I don't know...I will probably go ahead and do all 4 and just accept it as temporary, or a test to see how long plastidip lasts on wheels.

Honestly, I think it looks pretty great. Much better than the silver until you buy replacement rims. Do you have a link to the plastidip you used?

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Honestly, I think it looks pretty great. Much better than the silver until you buy replacement rims. Do you have a link to the plastidip you used?

Its the standard plastidip that you find everywhere...lowes, HD, walmart, etc for $6 a can. I didn't use any metalizers or anything. Standard flat black, though its actually more satin than anything. Its what I use for blacking out badges, which is also what I did for the Tesla logos. Chrome tesla logos on a white car are practically hidden...black really makes them pop.

Excuse the dirt in the pictures. Which is another thing. White is great for hiding dust, but really shows bugs and dark specs. I want SILVER back as an option! Great for dust AND dark specs.

20200605_143950.jpg
20200605_143934.jpg
20200605_143716.jpg

That looks good. Do you just box out the logos with painters tape and then spray a few nice coats of dip in the box, then peel around the logo?

Yeah...though not just tape, I use some painter's paper with tape to block out a wide area around it (overspray goes farther than you think). But yes, you spray the emblem (and around it) and then peel it off when dry. Plenty of videos out there showing the process, and its easy. If you make it thick enough, its very easy to pull off later (it can be frustrating taking off if you didn't do thick enough coats).

Thank you. I've actually plasti dipped an entire car once (not recommended if you aren't a pro haha). And I know for sure that if you don't get that stuff layered, peeling it off is a pain. So I was just wondering how you got a good peel-able area around the logo without thinning out in spots or little over spray layers and what not. You've answered my question though.

This morning...I had an idea to just take the covers off...and plastidip the covers themselves and see how it looks, instead of doing the wheels without the covers. Would be WAY easier to plastidip just the covers. Won't take me long...I'll do one and see how it looks.
Please post a picture after you dip. I'm getting MY next Saturday and was thinking of doing the same. Interested in how you think it looks.

OK, finished up and plastidipped the remaining covers. Did it inside this time to try and mitigate dust collecting, which did help (just made the house stink for a few hours like spraypaint).

With the dark tint (18% front, 50% windshield), blacked out badges, and now blacked out wheels..its the look I was going for. I do wish I didn't have the silver ring, because it does make the tires look smaller, but for now I'm not willing to install rim savers and will live with it. Now I play the waiting game to see how they look after a few months/years.

20200610_120645.jpg
20200610_120546(0).jpg

So first of all, this looks great. I was in debate between these wheels and the inductions - spending an extra $2k is hard to justify. What would happen if you plastidipped the edge with the cap off and then put the caps back on?

Well yeah...you can also plastidip the rims underneath the covers as well. My original plan was to not use the covers at all and just use the 'naked' geminis. But then got to thinking....maybe I can just plastidip the covers, so I still get the black look and I get the extra range from using the covers.

Plus...its harder to plastidip the actual rims. You need to do a lot of masking, covering the brake calipers, trying to get plastidip off the rubber tires, etc. Just plastidipping the covers means you don't have to do any of that. Plus if the covers get scratched, its super easy to spray some more plastidip on them, vs if it happened on the rim...I would have to remask everything..AGAIN.

Reactions: diggity
From reading the forums..it looks like people have problems with the rim saver coming off during driving and it scratches the body paint once it gets flung off. Or...the rim savers themselves (like alloygators) have scratched the rims themselves with how they "bite" into the rim to stay attached.

I like the idea of using vinyl wrap though....

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung