Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning...I had an idea to just take the covers off...and plastidip the covers themselves and see how it looks, instead of doing the wheels without the covers. Would be WAY easier to plastidip just the covers. Won't take me long...I'll do one and see how it looks.
Someone already did that (plastidipped 19s) here on the forum:

My New Wrap!!

Looks better than the silver in my opinion.

Reactions: azjohn
This morning...I had an idea to just take the covers off...and plastidip the covers themselves and see how it looks, instead of doing the wheels without the covers. Would be WAY easier to plastidip just the covers. Won't take me long...I'll do one and see how it looks.

someone on youtube did it. you'll see a ring of silver around the dipped hub cap. he ended up dipping the whole wheel instead.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

This is a good option, but the outer lip of the rim underneath is still visible so you get a silver colored ring around the gemini cap.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Someone already did that (plastidipped 19s) here on the forum:

My New Wrap!!

Looks better than the silver in my opinion.

He plastidipped the under wheels.

someone on youtube did it. you'll see a ring of silver around the dipped hub cap. he ended up dipping the whole wheel instead.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, looks like this ->

wheel.png

I'm liking that look enough that I'm still going to try some plastidip. Its like...$15 to try out, and since there is no masking or much other prep work, doens't take long either.

I'll make sure to do a thick coat though...so its easier to remove later if I want to.

I'm torn between the black center caps or the silver. The both look great! I keep thinking the contrast from the black looks better, but then I see Vistan posting his and I'm thinking hmmm that looks damn good too.

Are the Gemini wheel covers supposed to give you more range like the Aero covers on the M3? I never really believed the supposed 10% increase they were reported as adding and never saw any data confirming it. The Geminis look more conventional, so I'm curious of their effect on range.

Wheels are a huge source of aerodynamic drag.

In motion, the top of your tires/wheels are facing a "2X" speed. Example: at 70 mph the top of your tires/wheels is seeing 140 mph. (Conversely, the bottom of your wheel/tire combo is seeing a net zero aero impact.)

Hence, Tesla's ongoing quest to minimize wheel drag. Likely a good idea to leave the covers on for several weeks; the look may grow on you, and the extra range/increased efficiency certainly will.

Are the Gemini wheel covers supposed to give you more range like the Aero covers on the M3? I never really believed the supposed 10% increase they were reported as adding and never saw any data confirming it. The Geminis look more conventional, so I'm curious of their effect on range.

I believe the 10% increase in efficiency was between the aero wheels with covers on and the 19" wheels that came without covers.

Many tests actually showed the aero covers only gave an additional 3-4% range (so like 10-15 miles extra). Most of the efficiency is lost via the tires. High rolling resistance, and heavy weight will play the biggest roll.

Here are pics of the matching and contrasting center caps and lug nut covers View attachment 548097 View attachment 548098

I definitely like the chrome lug covers vs the black lug covers. But I think I like the black center cap. Would you mind showing a picture of the black without any covers on?

Many tests actually showed the aero covers only gave an additional 3-4% range (so like 10-15 miles extra). Most of the efficiency is lost via the tires. High rolling resistance, and heavy weight will play the biggest roll.

I definitely like the chrome lug covers vs the black lug covers. But I think I like the black center cap. Would you mind showing a picture of the black without any covers on?

I'm sorry, I can't. The silver caps are on the car right now and I don't want to ruin them by trying to take them off