Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picture of accessory hitch 1.25"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has an interesting definition of "seamless"!

That is a picture of the accessory hitch with a simple cover over it. The cover is probably for appearance and possibly for aerodynamics, but this is not the "seamless" "streamlined diffuser plate" one would get on a car that doesn't have the hitch installed at all. Those cars probably have no bump there at all, and the fact that they have a completely different panel there is likely why you have to get this accessory hitch installed at the factory.

That is a picture of the accessory hitch with a simple cover over it. The cover is probably for appearance and possibly for aerodynamics, but this is not the "seamless" "streamlined diffuser plate" one would get on a car that doesn't have the hitch installed at all. Those cars probably have no bump there at all, and the fact that they have a completely different panel there is likely why you have to get this accessory hitch installed at the factory.

My interpretation is that with the accessory hitch option, a diffuser plate covers the hitch when not in use. "When not installed" refers to the hitch mounted racks mentioned in the previous sentence. Your interpretation didn't even occur to me, but now that you mention is, I concede that's another possible interpretation. I think the wording is ambiguous.