Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pilot Sport AS tread in rear down to 3/32 in 15,000 miles!!! Could use advise on recommended all seasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the low tread warning the other day and found my fronts were 7/32 and rears 3/32. I just got them in August last year. The only thing that makes sense is that I hauled some stuff in November and December. I haven't been driving aggressively on them that I can think of. I don't even stomp on it at lights, always at least rolling out first.... but I digress. I need advice on what to buy now.

Tire Rack says I need to replace all 4 and will credit me $120 for one that now registers 2/32 after driving back from my brother's one state over and $110 for the 3/32, but nothing for the others. They say that that I shouldn't be driving my AWD vehicle with a difference of even 1/32 so need to replaceall 4. I can get a 35% discount on Goodyear through their authorized centers due to a cousin that works for them.

I have 18 x 8.5 inch rims on my M3P. Should I replace all 4 w/ the Goodyear GT EV tires? The total cost vs. "warranty" replacement cost on the Michelins is comparable.

I can tell you I'll be buying something with a great treadware warranty and making darn certain it's rotated and aligned per the warranty requirements.

At this moment I'm thinking Pure Contacts, but I'm likely changing rim sizes first.

I can tell you I'll be buying something with a great treadware warranty and making darn certain it's rotated and aligned per the warranty requirements.

At this moment I'm thinking Pure Contacts, but I'm likely changing rim sizes first.
Are there any decent "pro rata" warranty tires? Michelin is giving me about half of new tire cost back with just 1/3 of the warranty miles used. I can understand less returned with more wear, but isn't 2/32 the normal threshold?

I switched to the 18s because my 20s got blown up by a pothole. I don't think the rim size contributed to the poor Michelin performance.

Last edited:

Just to cage your expectations, a bad alignment is what wore out your tires. I drive like I could die next month, on about 3.3 degrees of camber to fit my wheels, and am still on track to get a good 25-30k out of my cheap street set.

I don’t want you thinking you had low quality tires. (That said, if you don’t care about max handling there are certainly cheaper options that will still meet your safety / treadwear / road noise goals).

Just to cage your expectations, a bad alignment is what wore out your tires. I drive like I could die next month, on about 3.3 degrees of camber to fit my wheels, and am still on track to get a good 25-30k out of my cheap street set.

I don’t want you thinking you had low quality tires. (That said, if you don’t care about max handling there are certainly cheaper options that will still meet your safety / treadwear / road noise goals).
I suspect it was due to a lot of towing loads on a trailer while working on my old house last fall more than bad alignment. The wear is even across each tire. I would imagine that a bad alignment would've caused it to wear unevenly.

Reactions: Lindenwood