Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On An unrelated topic, I have noticed a trend lately with Hellcats, Mushtanges etc that they pull along side and slowly fade back to see if that badge is there then drift off and exit. lol Not a racer myself but do find it interesting that they are starting to figure out which dogs they shouldn’t mess with.
They know what time it is. The don’t mess with the electric socket time. ⏱️⚡🔋

Reactions: ginmqi and Yelobird
Even if you’re in a 4 digit ICE you still can’t assume anything going up against an MSP. You’ve got much more crude traction control systems, heavier dependence on tires, longer time to reach peak power etc.
Not to mention the greater rotational inertia off spinning up the transmission and engine. In first gear this rotational inertia can increase the effective mass of the car by 35 percent.

In Denver when the temperature is 90 degrees F the density altitude could be around 9000 Ft. At that altitude the air density is 76% that at sea level. If I integrate the net force from the motor minus rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag for that difference in density over 1/4 mile, I get 9.256 seconds at 155.56 mph at sea level and 9.236 seconds at 156.48 mph at 9000 ft.
Exactly my point, it is practically irrelevant. 0.9mph trap or .02 seconds on an et is not something even professional top fuel dragster drivers would focus on because it is a completely irrelevant stat that could be neutered 10 times over by something out of their control and in the blink of an eye.

On An unrelated topic, I have noticed a trend lately with Hellcats, Mushtanges etc that they pull along side and slowly fade back to see if that badge is there then drift off and exit. lol Not a racer myself but do find it interesting that they are starting to figure out which dogs they shouldn’t mess with.

I keep extra plaid badges at the house and remove mine and put the 19" & hubcaps back on if there's any $ races to be had on the weekend. Zero difference in cosmetics between LR and plaid.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Mine is the same as my neighbor's LR, identical.

<edit> you're probably referring to the carbon fiber interior. I have wood in mine, I think they just last model year switched to carbon fiber only as the default configuration.

And also have the black calipers ;)
Your seats are slightly different, though most people won't realize (perforated bolsters)

And I'd gladly trade my wood interior for those upgraded headlights because these old ones are terrible.
This upgrade is probably not terribly difficult for Palladium cars. Looks like you'd have to change the headlight connector and there would be one unused wire left over, but the other 3 wires go to the right spot on the module end. Then you'd need to get someone to change the gateway configuration for headlamps to "global". There have been a number of people on the model 3 / Y side who got that done (easier there because the physical connector didn't change). I had other gateway changes made to my model 3 (global taillamps, enable rear fog lamps) without issue.

Reactions: Sam1
This upgrade is probably not terribly difficult for Palladium cars. Looks like you'd have to change the headlight connector and there would be one unused wire left over, but the other 3 wires go to the right spot on the module end. Then you'd need to get someone to change the gateway configuration for headlamps to "global". There have been a number of people on the model 3 / Y side who got that done (easier there because the physical connector didn't change). I had other gateway changes made to my model 3 (global taillamps, enable rear fog lamps) without issue.
90% of what I care about is performance. Am currently just waiting some kind of major power upgrade or spec and then I'll go get the newer model, instead of upgrading small bits here and there.

Exactly my point, it is practically irrelevant. 0.9mph trap or .02 seconds on an et is not something even professional top fuel dragster drivers would focus on because it is a completely irrelevant stat that could be neutered 10 times over by something out of their control and in the blink of an eye.
I know 0.02 seconds doesn't seem like a lot, but it's 4.4 feet at 150 mph. Even if there are other random events that affect the performance, on average you'll get to the 1/4 mile 4.4 feet ahead. Races are won in the thousandths of a second, after all.

I know 0.02 seconds doesn't seem like a lot, but it's 4.4 feet at 150 mph. Even if there are other random events that affect the performance, on average you'll get to the 1/4 mile 4.4 feet ahead. Races are won in the thousandths of a second, after all.
The amount of distance 0.02 seconds equates to is not what I was referencing. It's that 0.02 seconds could be lost by 1/4 slip of a single drive wheel of the launch. Not a single variable at the dragstrip is constant. You go there and race the track you're on, you don't go there and race statistics.

To win a race it might matter. I would say though that aero effects at high versus low altitude are not meaningful. A 10 pound lighter or heavier driver could have the same minor effect on the time/MPH.

Won’t reply to anyone directly as this is Not a poke. Regarding “racing a Plaid”. Is it Really considered Racing? I mean honest with these cars and tech virtually any smooh can sit in the car and repeat back to back vs most anyone with zero race “skill”. Almost boring and certainly not something cool to brag on in my opinion. A six speed with a Turbo etc (example) you need some skill. Getting the most out of a track car takes skill. Not so much in a Plaid or EV. Trust me Love my car just doesn’t seem as like bragging skill to race this car or worth analyzing.

Reactions: bkcyk
Won’t reply to anyone directly as this is Not a poke. Regarding “racing a Plaid”. Is it Really considered Racing? I mean honest with these cars and tech virtually any smooh can sit in the car and repeat back to back vs most anyone with zero race “skill”. Almost boring and certainly not something cool to brag on in my opinion. A six speed with a Turbo etc (example) you need some skill. Getting the most out of a track car takes skill. Not so much in a Plaid or EV. Trust me Love my car just doesn’t seem as like bragging skill to race this car or worth analyzing.
Counterpoint: I agree with you BUT..... Many newer "track" cars have advanced traction control(timing, pulling boost, etc) that make them ALMOST as easy.... Once you get below the 8's, I think then it's a little more artistic... but lots can be done with computers today even on an ICE....

Tesla changed the game. What you’re saying is correct but also fits in with the direction humanity is going in general. Less human input/interaction more AI/automation.

Yes the plaid is blistering fast and very easy to pilot but it lacks a ton of the fun and sensations associated with a traditional combustion vehicle at the strip. Spooling up a big t6 turbo is something an EV can never compare to. Sounding like a 747 and turning every head on the street. Solution: own a plaid and high hp ice.