Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won’t reply to anyone directly as this is Not a poke. Regarding “racing a Plaid”. Is it Really considered Racing? I mean honest with these cars and tech virtually any smooh can sit in the car and repeat back to back vs most anyone with zero race “skill”. Almost boring and certainly not something cool to brag on in my opinion. A six speed with a Turbo etc (example) you need some skill. Getting the most out of a track car takes skill. Not so much in a Plaid or EV. Trust me Love my car just doesn’t seem as like bragging skill to race this car or worth analyzing.
Can't believe I agree with you on something, but I share more or less the same sentiment. I bought the car because the acceleration makes me happy. But as far as actually going to the drag strip to set times or doing pulls against other cars, I don't really see the point. You see one Plaid, and you've seen them all.

I don't plan on taking this car to the race track (I have my M3 for that), but at least that's going to vary with driver skill.

• Love
Reactions: Yelobird
Agree with both above.

The plaid is fun for exhibition and asserting dominance for no reason at all.

Tuner cars are fun because you have to change settings every run to try to make it better.

EVs would be more fun if we could access the power and traction control systems, currently we cannot.

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Counterpoint: I agree with you BUT..... Many newer "track" cars have advanced traction control(timing, pulling boost, etc) that make them ALMOST as easy.... Once you get below the 8's, I think then it's a little more artistic... but lots can be done with computers today even on an ICE....
Agree in general however Building that mechanical beast, learning how to tame it, and driving with a Skill to fully harness that dragon are all part of the joy and talent. EV = step on pedal and hit virtually same result 1st time or 80th. Again NOT sayin it isn’t fun but semantics about drag racing an EV are pretty much pre-defined.

Agree in general however Building that mechanical beast, learning how to tame it, and driving with a Skill to fully harness that dragon are all part of the joy and talent. EV = step on pedal and hit virtually same result 1st time or 80th. Again NOT sayin it isn’t fun but semantics about drag racing an EV are pretty much pre-defined.
It’s joy but it can also be hellish at the same time. Constantly worrying about fires, throwing belts and overheating, etc. none of that with the plaid.

It’s joy but it can also be hellish at the same time. Constantly worrying about fires, throwing belts and overheating, etc. none of that with the plaid.
Yeah think that’s part of my point. I had many years building up turbo and pro charger cars investing in both labor and $$$$ chafing the next weak point in the chain to break. And knowing how to drive it to get the most while not destroying it was a test. Now I can load up the Plaid with groceries and hit the track without much care or prep lol.

Reactions: Drew-MS
The OEM pirelli pz4 are fantastic tires. I trap at or around 150 on a regular basis using them.

*that's at the drag strip on no prep, which is sometimes worse than the street coming out of the hole.

I did see that people tend to like these alot with Plaids. My F90 M5 came with those and it was considered losing the tire lottery vs the PS4S. I bought that car at the end of November and couldn't get it to work at all in the cold weather on the street even doing a small RWD burnout. I switched them out to Michelin PS4 A/S within a few weeks and was cutting 1.59-1.62 60fts every time down to mid 20 degree weather.

I did see that people tend to like these alot with Plaids. My F90 M5 came with those and it was considered losing the tire lottery vs the PS4S. I bought that car at the end of November and couldn't get it to work at all in the cold weather on the street even doing a small RWD burnout. I switched them out to Michelin PS4 A/S within a few weeks and was cutting 1.59-1.62 60fts every time down to mid 20 degree weather.
The PS4S are not good for drag racing, they're considered a hard tire. Usually the cut off for that is a 300tw rating. The pz4 are slightly under that at 280tw.

The only way the PZ4 can come close to the PS4S in the same 21" size is because Pirelli drops the 21" to a 220tw (which murders your range). PS4S is an amazing tire in any size, it's just not the best for straight line racing.

Reactions: cptnslo
In the factory configuration, not to my knowledge. But there are some that claim it is possible in theory.. I’m more of “real world result” kind of guy though..
Most seem to be 146-150 which is a long way from 155, significantly less power. The 1.99 0-60 has been replicated in the real world so I’m not sure why the 155 seems to be optimistic.

I agree 100%. I also feel that at times Tesla has “over sold” some of their products. So it would not surprise me if they elected to make the claim of the car trapping 155mph based on formulas/equations. I’m not saying it’s impossible but I personally haven’t seen one doing it yet, in the stock configuration.

Just to be clear, the Model S plaid is currently my favorite car that I’ve owned. It’s the most practical and the quickest.

Reactions: Drew-MS and Sam1
I agree 100%. I also feel that at times Tesla has “over sold” some of their products. So it would not surprise me if they elected to make the claim of the car trapping 155mph based on formulas/equations. I’m not saying it’s impossible but I personally haven’t seen one doing it yet, in the stock configuration.

Just to be clear, the Model S plaid is currently my favorite car that I’ve owned. It’s the most practical and the quickest.
Just like other manufacturers, the specs are listed in absolute perfect conditions.

Demon 170 claims haven't been achieved by anyone other than the company from what I understand as well.

By some I think you mean literally all of them lol.

The plaid is already such a capable car, shame they feel the need to exaggerate by quoting a 0-60 that’s not achievable in the real world and uses 1 foot roll out, and a trap time no one has achieved.

• Funny