Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot about the passenger.. šŸ˜…šŸ˜…. She kept it together real well, given the circumstances.
Sheā€™s just as insane as he. Proper lady that.

Iā€™d sht my pants. No joke. 190 mph??????? With a bump lightened to then brake for a left?

In a TESLA with internet owners whining and moaning about vibes and software updates and tire wear? (Of which I have no issues)

Hard pass.

• Funny
Reactions: MrSlowEv
Iā€™m up in Denver and I enjoyed watching the guy run mid 12s with this šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
IMG_8753.jpeg

Has anyone trapped 155 as claimed by Tesla?
After thousands of plaid 1/4 mile runs on prepped and non-prepped surfaces since mid-2021, no plaid (without significant weight reduction) has ever trapped 155mph. With all the evidence out there for more than 2 years, it's a little surprising someone at Tesla hasn't adjusted the website to a real number like 150+mph.

I agree 100%. I also feel that at times Tesla has ā€œover soldā€ some of their products. So it would not surprise me if they elected to make the claim of the car trapping 155mph based on formulas/equations. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s impossible but I personally havenā€™t seen one doing it yet, in the stock configuration.

Just to be clear, the Model S plaid is currently my favorite car that Iā€™ve owned. Itā€™s the most practical and the quickest.

Plaid is also my all time fav car. Since I've never even been to a drag strip, I don't really care about the trap speed. However, if you're not going to say it, I'll be happy to: It's not possible for a stock plaid to trap 155 ! If so, we would have seen it by now. Cheers

After thousands of plaid 1/4 mile runs on prepped and non-prepped surfaces since mid-2021, no plaid (without significant weight reduction) has ever trapped 155mph. With all the evidence out there for more than 2 years, it's a little surprising someone at Tesla hasn't adjusted the website to a real number like 150+mph.

Two mph off the best we've seen, so yea, Tesla needs to update the site. That said, 9.2s and 9.3s all day long some even on unprepped streets.

Andrew's Plaid has run over 850 races so his battery can't be putting out the 840KW it did when it was new. Almost certainly more than compensates for the 0.17s (170 lb reduction). He's also on the original factory Pirelli's at 19K miles.

This is the first Sapphire showing in the wild that wasn't a prepped car handed to a reviewer or event.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I loved the comment on the Reddit post about the plaid ā€œnot being stockā€ apparently people donā€™t understand that interior crap being removed wasnā€™t enough to justify the fact the sapphire wasnā€™t catching up. View attachment 1011518
Not stock is not stock, though. I do think Tesla Plaid Channel undermines its results by doing any mods, including something as small as removing rear seats. At the end of the day, a modified Plaid beat a stock Sapphire.

Not stock is not stock, though. I do think Tesla Plaid Channel undermines its results by doing any mods, including something as small as removing rear seats. At the end of the day, a modified Plaid beat a stock Sapphire.

Agree. Not that it would have changed the outcome but it does provide an excuse for those to say it would have. I believe Andrew has said he's going to add the missing interior trim pieces back for rematch. Doubt it's as heavy as he says as his Plaid is running the same times and ETS as all the other stock weight Plaids. Could also just be that the 800+ dragstrip runs in dragstrip ready mode has worn out his battery which is just about countering the weight reduction. He should also consider replacing his 19K mile tires for fresh ones for the rematch.

Reactions: WilliamG
I'd still take his Plaid with the rear seats over that Lucid any day. 170 lbs isn't anything and those runs were not close.

Reactions: Sam1 and cptnslo
Using the published horsepower vs speed plot and taking into account the rotational inertia, loss in the gear box, rolling resistance, tire slip, aerodynamic drag and the mass of the car plus driver, the 170 lbs of removed weight makes a 0.113 second difference in elapsed time in the quarter mile. Andrew's best elapsed time has been a 9.15 second pass. So, adding the 170 lbs back in would bring him back to the more usual 9.26 seconds in the quarter mile which is what he says he was getting before he stripped his car. He says he hasn't noticed any decrease in performance from when his car was new.

He could just put 3 or 4 50lb bags of sand in the back, but lucid fans would probably say he stripped more than that.

Reactions: bhzmark and cptnslo
Using the published horsepower vs speed plot and taking into account the rotational inertia, loss in the gear box, rolling resistance, tire slip, aerodynamic drag and the mass of the car plus driver, the 170 lbs of removed weight makes a 0.113 second difference in elapsed time in the quarter mile. Andrew's best elapsed time has been a 9.15 second pass. So, adding the 170 lbs back in would bring him back to the more usual 9.26 seconds in the quarter mile which is what he says he was getting before he stripped his car. He says he hasn't noticed any decrease in performance from when his car was new.

He could just put 3 or 4 50lb bags of sand in the back, but lucid fans would probably say he stripped more than that.

But he wasn't getting 9.15 when he was racing Sapphire. Hasn't it been quite some time since he posted that time?