Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hypothesis based on what Rambino said is that the vibration is caused by changes to the algorithms which control torque vectoring. It seems plausible, but frankly I have no idea. You could be right.
It just doesn’t hunt for me, that master six sigma black belt (“MSSBB”) story. Many of us have driven the same routes and in the same conditions for 1000-3000 vibration free miles (and we were looking for it the whole time). Then, on those same routes and conditions, the vibration appears and stays going forward. In my case, I would say it’s getting more pronounced as the miles add up. If the MSSBB were correct, this would not be the experience.

@WilliamG

Sounds good. Have you driven 1000 miles yet? Mine is in service now.
Coming up on it since the repair !!!! I am very confident mine is fixed. My VIN is 035 so one of the first delivered cars at the event in Fremont so I have been complaining about this issue since June. This is the first time despite numerous other tries I am confident

Reactions: cytranic and jebinc
Service refused to acknowledge the vibration. They said,
"when test driving vehicle i found vehicle suspension was left on high. put suspension in normal and
left in plaid mode could not duplicate concern. when in plaid mode and using heavy acceleration
recommend suspension to be in low or normal."

Ok, that's just stupid. The car can't be driven above 15 mph in high. It automatically lowers to normal.

How did you get service to acknowledge the vibration?

Reactions: jebinc
Service refused to acknowledge the vibration. They said,
"when test driving vehicle i found vehicle suspension was left on high. put suspension in normal and
left in plaid mode could not duplicate concern. when in plaid mode and using heavy acceleration
recommend suspension to be in low or normal."

Ok, that's just stupid. The car can't be driven above 15 mph in high. It automatically lowers to normal.

How did you get service to acknowledge the vibration?
I call that, “Hiding out in the open” BS!

FYI my plaid DID NOT have this issue the first few thousand miles but started the other day. I was able to duplicate it pretty much every time somewhere between 40-50. It was very slight but definitely didn't do that the first few thousand miles as I looked for it constantly. Anyway, I went to my service center yesterday for a couple other small issues and mentioned the vibration. A tech walked up as I was talking to service manager and knew immediately what I was talking about. He said only one other refresh has come in with it and it was a plaid. He took it for a short test drive to verify. Later they told me Tesla engineering asked them to replace both front half shafts and to send them the originals so they could inspect. Basically engineering is still trying to figure it out. They replaced with the part numbers referenced previously and the problem seems to be gone for now. The techs told me it could come back so it may not be the end all fix but I can't seem to duplicate it at the moment. We shall see. I'm not that confident and neither were they but it was very minor on my car and good for now.