Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tennessee has one of the largest residential solar systems in the country somewhere... forget where I read that.

A friend of mine believes I have the second largest residential off-grid system in the country, and top-10 residential systems period. Would love to actually find some data to support that (or not).

Have you published monthly production data yet?

I think Tennessee has one of the largest residential solar systems in the country somewhere... forget where I read that.

A friend of mine believes I have the second largest residential off-grid system in the country, and top-10 residential systems period. Would love to actually find some data to support that (or not).

I can't speak to size of individual systems but I can speak to the overall situation.

The Open PV Project - State Rankings has TN in 21st place with 22MW vs NC in 16th place with 56 MW (out of 54 places, DC, PR, and 2 others?) aka NC has more solar PV installed but it's in fewer installations (larger installations on average in NC smaller on average in TN).

OK lets see what I can find aboout residential system sizes

World's largest off-grid residential solar-plus-storage system installed in Hawaii - Solar Choice lists a 170KW PV system with 1MWh battery system at Bakken Estate in Hawaii.

This one in Southern California is 150KW but not off grid.
largest-home-solar-400px.jpg
Newsroom

I can't find any list that I trust to compare to yours.

Seen the price of installing a power poll on your own property lately? That pretty much covers a solar install.

OT, but:

In my area, power companies are responsible for all costs up to the meter. They supply the meter pan, you supply the installation labor for the pan and then all the inside conductors attaching to the bottom terminals of the meter.

wk, now that winter is coming to an end, it would be great to have a report on how well the system fared and how many times you had to go back on-grid.

BTW - what happened on January 22? Looks like no production at all that day.

wk, now that winter is coming to an end, it would be great to have a report on how well the system fared and how many times you had to go back on-grid.

BTW - what happened on January 22? Looks like no production at all that day.

Well, the full system has only been online since the beginning of September, so I only have about 6 months of data now. There's some screw ups in there too where my control scripts flipped back over to the grid for longer than I realized, resulting in wasted power the next day or that day. Add to that the fact that I can only track fully utilized power (battery charging and/or loads) and can't track full PV power when the batteries are full.... and I'm not 100% sure how telling my stats really are about a lot of things. Recently I've added a manually activated ~8kW dump load in the form of old bitcoin miners in the attic, but when I have excess power it's usually ~30+kW worth, so, this is only making a small dent. I'm not doing to run dump loads off of the batteries, either, since that would be silly to add cycles to the pack unnecessarily.

January 22nd was the day before this: Let there be light! (Snow sliding from solar panels) - YouTube ... where my panels were completely covered in snow. :( It warmed up a little on the 23rd and the roof was cleared off around ~noon on its own (avalanche!). The snow came in the night of the 21st/morning of the 22nd. The panels were completely covered by sunrise and literally completely shaded. My back roof is ~35ft from the ground, so, not much I can do about them up there. The ground array is pretty massive, and I tried sweeping off the smaller one.... but it's just too much area. It snows so seldom here that I don't think any real mitigation would be useful. A friend suggested low powered stick-on heading coils for the rear of the array to keep it above freezing when it snows... but the cost and install time and such would certainly not be worth it for the 1 day per year it will be a problem.

I want to setup my site to better show some longer term stats, and I might be able to get to that this week sometime, but, maybe not. We'll see how my schedule works out with other projects.

Thanks for the update. Forgot about the snow storm that came through that week. I agree that it doesn't make any sense to really do anything about it since it almost never snows around here. Maybe a little more towards your side of the state, but certainly nothing that would make financial sense to do something about it.

Maybe your new page can have a counter on the number of bitcoins generated as well :)

Thanks, cloud effect! :)

Had some unusual cloud effect a couple days ago... first time I've seen clouds add to daily production... not just peak power.

CFV0305_04590724235.png

The array faces west and there were some clouds in the west that morning... they reflected a bit of light from the rising sun and added ~3 kWh to that days production. The skies cleared before noon so clouds never shaded the array.

This is what cloudless skies look like...

no clouds.png

Last edited:
Had some unusual cloud effect a couple days ago... first time I've seen clouds add to daily production... not just peak power.

View attachment 113764

The array faces west and there were some clouds in the west that morning... they reflected a bit of light off the rising sun and added ~3 kWh to that days production. The skies cleared before noon so clouds never shaded the array.

Nice. Out of curiosity, it looks like your production clips at ~11kW. Inverter undersized or something?

Nice. Out of curiosity, it looks like your production clips at ~11kW. Inverter undersized or something?

Yeah... 15.6kW of panels on a 11kW inverter... the clipping won't be as dramatic in the summer when the power output of the panels drops due to temperature. The ROI of a 12kW vs 11kW inverter would have been ~5 years. Oversize ratio of 1.4... the upper limit of what I think is advisable with module vs inverter prices where they are.

Yeah... 15.6kW of panels on a 11kW inverter... the clipping won't be as dramatic in the summer when the power output of the panels drops due to temperature. The ROI of a 12kW vs 11kW inverter would have been ~5 years. Oversize ratio of 1.4... the upper limit of what I think is advisable with module vs inverter prices where they are.

Interesting. While higher temperatures seems to lower the voltage of my panels, it doesn't seem to lower the actual power output. I get my highest output in the summer for sure.

Interesting. While higher temperatures seems to lower the voltage of my panels, it doesn't seem to lower the actual power output. I get my highest output in the summer for sure.

You lose ~0.5% power for every C increase in temperature. This is SE NM... not uncommon to have a string of 100F+ days... in the summer. This is even reflected in the projected production on SMAs website... you can see a slight dip in June even as the days get longer.

CFV0305_05485103E8D.png

I expect the peak power output of the array will be ~12kW in July... there will still be some clipping... but not much... and top end power is less valuable since it's exported for $0.075/kWh vs self-consumed power which is worth $0.12/kWh. A fatter power curve is more valuable than a tall one. The projected annual curtailment is a lot lower than the graph would suggest... PV Watts estimates that only 543kWh is being lost annually. So spending $1200 more to match the array to the inverter would only generate $40/yr. Module costs are falling much faster than inverter costs... oversized arrays will likely become much more common.

Last edited:
.......... there will still be some clipping... but not much... and top end power is less valuable since it's exported for $0.075/kWh vs self-consumed power which is worth $0.12/kWh. A fatter power curve is more valuable than a tall one. ....

I am not sure I understand why self conumed power would be at a different rate. Are you not on a net metering arrangement?