Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to buy Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am planning to buy Model 3 Partial Premium interior ( RWD ). I am not sure how many folks have received or driving that model , but I have some questions around the car and the company. Any help is appreciated.

1. Is it ok to buy Tesla standard model 3 car with RWD? Any reviews?
2. Design issues - Heard people had water and salt stuck in the bumper. I live close to jersey and phila border, we get some good snow in winter, will that be an issue?
3. Insurance - Any inputs on which insurance company provide us with better quote.
4. Does 2 car seats fit well ?
5. How are the parts priced? Say once warranty is done, I believe model 3 doesn't have any extended warranties. Not sure what will be the major component or part which is pricey.
6. Cost of charging tesla per week ?

As long as the range is enough for your needs, it's a good buy. Not sure anyone has received a standard model yet.
3. Insurance - Any inputs on which insurance company provide us with better quote.
I have GEICO and my insurance is similar to my brother's Honda HRV.
5. How are the parts priced? Say once warranty is done, I believe model 3 doesn't have any extended warranties. Not sure what will be the major component or part which is pricey.
The expense parts are the battery and drivetrain. No idea how much these parts cost out of warranty. Not sure if anyone has bought it out of warrant yet.
Depends on how much you drive and your charging options. I charge at 13 cents per kWh at home and 28 cents per kWh at the supercharger.

As long as the range is enough for your needs, it's a good buy. Not sure anyone has received a standard model yet.

I have GEICO and my insurance is similar to my brother's Honda HRV.

The expense parts are the battery and drivetrain. No idea how much these parts cost out of warranty. Not sure if anyone has bought it out of warrant yet.

Depends on how much you drive and your charging options. I charge at 13 cents per kWh at home and 28 cents per kWh at the supercharger.
Thanks you very much for taking time and replying to my post. Do you think is it wise to buy a tesla right now? I am just worried what happens if Tesla goes bankrupt. I hope it won't as I am fan of Tesla cars.

Weekly I drive close to 320 miles and I am spending 45 dollars on gas. How much total kwh do I need to fully charge it? Sorry for asking too many questions.

...1. Is it ok to buy Tesla standard model 3 car with RWD?...

Of course. The OK comes with your price range.

2. Design issues - Heard people had water and salt stuck in the bumper. I live close to jersey and phila border, we get some good snow in winter, will that be an issue?...

I think that design affects all expensive and cheap Model 3 equally. It's designed for a nice road driving, not with potholes or puddles of water.

Eric Bolduc discovered 35 pounds of dirt accumulated under the body that most people wouldn't know until you would remove the underbody panels.

...3. Insurance - Any inputs on which insurance company provide us with better quote...

I've been with

wawanesa.com

6 month premium for 2018 Model 3 LR is $495.04.

giwZb4R.jpg

5. How are the parts priced? Say once warranty is done, I believe model 3 doesn't have any extended warranties. Not sure what will be the major component or part which is pricey...

Parts for Roadster, S, X have been quite expensive. I assume it'll be the same for Model 3.

Most expensive parts are Battery and Drive Unit.

For S and X, it would cost thousands of dollars for each of your issues with MCU (display screen), Cabin Heater, Air Conditioner...

Last edited:
...Do you think is it wise to buy a tesla right now?...

If you have money, then I would advise yes.

If not, just wait long enough, technology cost would go down eventually.

...I am just worried what happens if Tesla goes bankrupt...

If Tesla goes bankrupt, I expect someone else will absorb it so your car will continue to run.

There are also Do-It-Yourself experts who can service your car if no one can.

By the way, the fear of bankruptcy has been proven unwarranted since its inception.

All US car companies went bankrupt except for 2:

1) Ford
2) Tesla

The risk of bankruptcy was more when it was a small private company that was not well known in 2003. If it ran out of cash to pay bills at that time, it would have a hard time to convince anyone to hand the money over to it because people didn't even know whether Tesla could even build a car.

But ever since Tesla has become a big public company in 2010, whenever it hs needed cash, it has been able ask the public for it very successfully.

Now that it's a big and public company, it can access almost unlimited money from the public.

The doom and gloom have been disappointed since 2003 and for a foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Thanks you very much for taking time and replying to my post. Do you think is it wise to buy a tesla right now? I am just worried what happens if Tesla goes bankrupt. I hope it won't as I am fan of Tesla cars.

Weekly I drive close to 320 miles and I am spending 45 dollars on gas. How much total kwh do I need to fully charge it? Sorry for asking too many questions.
I bought the Model 3 as soon as I could so I believe they will figure out a way to survive.

The amoun tof kWH will depend on many factors such as how fast you typically drive, how much you're using the heater, and the weather. But assuming you get what the rated range is on average, you're looking at about $22 even if you use the supercharger exclusively for your charging needs.

What is your longest commute during the height of winter, how warm do you like the interior, and will you charge every day (home or work)?

I assume you'll be fine given the 320 miles/week quote, but the warmer you like the interior the more your range will suffer. Hopefully some locals will chime in as to how much of a hit they took for your area. I live in NC, so my results aren't representative.

Insurance is a tough question given that algorithms typically run the show these days. Your rates are impacted by so many variables that comparing them to someone else is difficult. My insurance is with Allstate and it dropped compared to my previous car, even though many here say that Allstate is the worst for Tesla.

As to costs, you'll want to see if your utility provider offers any TOU or BEV charging plans. My electricity is cheap so TOU plans aren't worth it, but your situation may be different. Once you know that it is just a matter of running the numbers based on miles/expected consumption. I probably reduced my fuel costs by 50%-70% but it depends on how much I stomp on the pedal.

Be aware prices will be going up about 3% after March 18 so if you’re ready to order soon keep that in mind. Just announced today in case you miss seeing the news. From what Tesla posted only the $35K Model 3 wouldn’t be affected. Makes me think the price increase then would affect the partial premium RWD version. The RWD version just got a software range bump, 325 I think but check the site, should be updated.

As probably with any car in snow country, you’ll want to buy winter tires for better traction. There are plenty of reviews on RWD Model 3s in the snow including youtube videos. From what I saw people seemed very happy with their cars.

Will you be able to charge at home?

Last edited:
Hi,
I am planning to buy Model 3 Partial Premium interior ( RWD ). I am not sure how many folks have received or driving that model , but I have some questions around the car and the company. Any help is appreciated.

2. Design issues - Heard people had water and salt stuck in the bumper. I live close to jersey and phila border, we get some good snow in winter, will that be an issue?
Something I find missing in your list is mentioning if you will be able to charge at home or work? And how many miles a day you drive?
Note: Since you are living in Philadelphia you must know that temperature may affect your range.
I noticed you plan getting the Standard Range (SR+) but this important to consider when deciding witch battery size to choose.

I ordered a Model 3 last Wednesday after driving one. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to bring my kids on the test drive, which was awesome and not something I’ve been asked before. Their seats (a Chicco NextFit car seat, which is pretty huge, and a Chicco KidFit booster) fit just fine. I wouldn’t recommend you try squeezing anyone into the middle seat, but I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with 2 car seats.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
If you have money, then I would advise yes.

If not, just wait long enough, technology cost would go down eventually.

If Tesla goes bankrupt, I expect someone else will absorb it so your car will continue to run.

There are also Do-It-Yourself experts who can service your car if no one can.

By the way, the fear of bankruptcy has been proven unwarranted since its inception.

All US car companies went bankrupt except for 2:

1) Ford
2) Tesla

The risk of bankruptcy was more when it was a small private company that was not well known in 2003. If it ran out of cash to pay bills at that time, it would have a hard time to convince anyone to hand the money over to it because people didn't even know whether Tesla could even build a car.

But ever since Tesla has become a big public company in 2010, whenever it hs needed cash, it has been able ask the public for it very successfully.

Now that it's a big and public company, it can access almost unlimited money from the public.

The doom and gloom have been disappointed since 2003 and for a foreseeable future.
Thank you very much for your input :) . Yeah I am planning to get one, want to get rid of prius which is at 133k and still going strong.

I bought the Model 3 as soon as I could so I believe they will figure out a way to survive.

The amoun tof kWH will depend on many factors such as how fast you typically drive, how much you're using the heater, and the weather. But assuming you get what the rated range is on average, you're looking at about $22 even if you use the supercharger exclusively for your charging needs.
Mostly I am planning to set up a charging station at home

Reactions: gene
Be aware prices will be going up about 3% after March 18 so if you’re ready to order soon keep that in mind. Just announced today in case you miss seeing the news. From what Tesla posted only the $35K Model 3 wouldn’t be affected. Makes me think the price increase then would affect the partial premium RWD version. The RWD version just got a software range bump, 325 I think but check the site, should be updated.

As probably with any car in snow country, you’ll want to buy winter tires for better traction. There are plenty of reviews on RWD Model 3s in the snow including youtube videos. From what I saw people seemed very happy with their cars.

Will you be able to charge at home?
Yep, I can charge at home. Oh didn't knew that thanks for providing the information. I still see 240 miles range for Standard Range Plus. Is 325 miles for long range?

I ordered a Model 3 last Wednesday after driving one. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to bring my kids on the test drive, which was awesome and not something I’ve been asked before. Their seats (a Chicco NextFit car seat, which is pretty huge, and a Chicco KidFit booster) fit just fine. I wouldn’t recommend you try squeezing anyone into the middle seat, but I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with 2 car seats.
Wow that's cool..thanks for your input :)

Something I find missing in your list is mentioning if you will be able to charge at home or work? And how many miles a day you drive?
Note: Since you are living in Philadelphia you must know that temperature may affect your range.
I noticed you plan getting the Standard Range (SR+) but this important to consider when deciding witch battery size to choose.
Yep, I should be able to charge at home. Mostly 40 miles per day close to 300 and some times 320

Reactions: Watts_Up
What is your longest commute during the height of winter, how warm do you like the interior, and will you charge every day (home or work)?

I assume you'll be fine given the 320 miles/week quote, but the warmer you like the interior the more your range will suffer. Hopefully some locals will chime in as to how much of a hit they took for your area. I live in NC, so my results aren't representative.

Insurance is a tough question given that algorithms typically run the show these days. Your rates are impacted by so many variables that comparing them to someone else is difficult. My insurance is with Allstate and it dropped compared to my previous car, even though many here say that Allstate is the worst for Tesla.

As to costs, you'll want to see if your utility provider offers any TOU or BEV charging plans. My electricity is cheap so TOU plans aren't worth it, but your situation may be different. Once you know that it is just a matter of running the numbers based on miles/expected consumption. I probably reduced my fuel costs by 50%-70% but it depends on how much I stomp on the pedal.

Was planning to charge at home may be once in a week or once it has less then 25 miles...

Yep, I can charge at home. Oh didn't knew that thanks for providing the information. I still see 240 miles range for Standard Range Plus. Is 325 miles for long range?

Yes, it is. Here's how it shakes out on range:
Standard RWD - 220
Standard Plus RWD - 240
MidRange RWD - 264
LongRange RWD - 325
AWD LR - 310
AWD Performance - 310

Good on home charging. You will love the convenience and it takes no time to set up and you can schedule it to happen overnight and take advantage of any electricity rate breaks you might get depending on your utitilty plan. Just so you know, Elon/Tesla recommends on a Model 3 charging to 90%. Periodically you'll want to rebalance your battery. Threads on the Model 3 forum area on how to do this.

Last edited: