Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti-dip vintage gold on Geminis w/center caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where I live, I could rob a bank in our car and just blend into traffic, so I wanted the car to be easier to spot in parking lots and the like, and I actually find the Gemini to be the most attractive wheel as it's not a chiral design that looks like it's spinning backwards on one side of the car. Wheel caps + 50 plasti-dip kit later:

Remember: if you don't like it, this is not actually your car, but one that looks almost like it. Your car is safe in your driveway with unaltered wheels.

20211013_082316.jpg

Where I live, I could rob a bank in our car and just blend into traffic, so I wanted the car to be easier to spot in parking lots and the like, and I actually find the Gemini to be the most attractive wheel as it's not a chiral design that looks like it's spinning backwards on one side of the car. Wheel caps + 50 plasti-dip kit later:

Remember: if you don't like it, this is not actually your car, but one that looks almost like it. Your car is safe in your driveway with unaltered wheels.

View attachment 721032
I love the look of gold wheels. Especially over black. Nice work!!!

View attachment 721032
nice touch! Is that more Satin versus Polish? How many coats did you put and the drying time you put into it? I think the Red and Gold look goes well together with the black trim. Good job

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

View attachment 721032

When I went into this topic I was thinking now here is a guy with bad taste, but looking at it, I like it.

nice touch! Is that more Satin versus Polish? How many coats did you put and the drying time you put into it? I think the Red and Gold look goes well together with the black trim. Good job
Yep, this is the matte finish, gloss is a ton of extra work, and I prefer the matte anyway, much easier to touch up if it gets nicked. I did it over time. On Sunday my kid and I masked the brakes with thin wastebasket liners and we initially used dip release but the stock contis have a rim protector that is hard to get the release on, someone pointed out just using a deck of cards inserted between the rim and tire with an overlap (think a vegetable steamer or fighter jet nozzle) to mask the rubber, and that worked amazingly well. First coat was just spraying light coats every 10 minutes or so until I got a nice color, hard to make it totally even the first try, so drove around, found some thin areas, sprayed again. It didn't take long, get the rim first so you don't have to re-mask the tire, just cover up the brake and you can keep touching up. Hard to get behind the spokes, and it's not that noticeable or even worth the effort. If you want the whole barrel, you can pull the wheels of someday, but this is 90% of the look for 10% of the effort.

Key is to move your arm back and forth before you depress the trigger on the sprayer so you aren't creating drips. If you do, let it dry, sometimes gravity just evens it out, otherwise, just peel that bit and respray.

This guide is helpful:

I ordered from dipyourcar.com and I didn't bother using the dip release or wheel cleaner (car had maybe 200 miles on it so wheels were easy to clean with quick detailer and paper towels), but I do recommend ordering the grip, makes control much easier.

LOVE it, and wondering about it on white (I’ve been thinking about bronze…)

Bonus points for using “chiral” in a sentence. Extra bonus for doing it in an automotive forum. We’ll done. 👍
With a name like E30-4ME of course you like it. :) Bronze gold is on my Porsche and it's definitely a TE37 JDM look. Unfortunately it has been out of stock for months, to the point where I wonder if it's no longer available. I gave up waiting as one of my wheels needed a touch up and just went with the vintage gold, which is lighter and more of a BBS look. I think Tesla really squandered an opportunity to do chiral wheel covers for the Geminis because it would be the best of both worlds- properly directional look without any added issues with tire rotations. I also have a black spoiler on my car, mainly because it's too easy to smash these into a ceiling somewhere, would have killed for black rubber like an E30 is, ended up with a split bill M4 looking thing that was $30 on ebay.

Well now you’re going to make me go and post a non-Tesla in a Tesla forum. It was no M3, but it was clean and only had 78K on it when I sold in 2019 (it’s a ‘92). Would have looked awesome with gold basket weaves, or even with the stock bottle caps.

824DAB86-5620-414B-91E8-45A436A6F58F.jpeg

71238846-061A-4FBF-94BE-B61631DC2685.jpeg

I’ve been on the lookout for a 318is to track ever since, but haven’t found the one so far….