TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Plastidipped Aero cap vs stock wheels w/o aero caps

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AMIYY4YOU, Jun 1, 2018.

1. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

I know a LOT of people were asking this earlier and I finally got around to doing this..
    View attachment 305682 View attachment 305683

IMG_0924.jpg IMG_0920.jpg

I only did one wheel and I also got really impatient so I managed to peel some of the black plasti dip off. Also my coverage wasn't superb when taping over so I'm going to need to take more tiem with the other three wheels if I end up deciding it's worth the effort. So barring the minor imperfections of the actual installation job (ignore the peeled plasti dip in a couple parts), what do you guys think? Which do you like better?

Did 4 base coats of black plastidip and then 3 coats of bright aluminum metalizer.

Attached Files:

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

It looks like a star that is melting....to uneven.....just my opinion. I would just paint the wheel bright aluminum......again just my opinion.

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I like it. I normally hate the Aeros in their stock form, and this makes them look pretty nice. More similar to the old aero wheels on the S.

• Like x 2
  4. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Bro, in the pic it looks great. Simply separated it from the pack! Thanks for the files!!

5. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I like the plasti-dip job better.

I really think tesla could have done better with the aero covers, they look terrible from the factory.

6. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

That looks sexy! Almost makes me wanna trade my sport wheels for someone's aero wheels.

7. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

C'mon Tesla !! Offer these in the store in various colors !!

8. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

I'm curious about that "bright aluminum metalizer" I'd love the aero caps to be all silver. Was that a spray-on product?

9. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

They look terrible because they're that dark dirty grey color, which only matches one of the body paint colors. Same with the wheels underneath. They should have been silver which would have matched all body colors. But that probably would have looked too good, and resulted in fewer upgraded wheel sales.

• Like x 2
  10. Devanish

Devanish Member

I'm really hoping they release the aero wheels from the reveal car in whatever that size was...19" or 20" Failing that, hopefully a third party ventor will make wake up and make them.

11. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Yep it's plasti dip! You can't just apply the bright aluminum metalizer , you have to put a base coat of plasti dip on (I opted for the black base coat). I put 4 layers of black and 3 layers of the metalizer on top with letting each coat sit for ~30 min

• Like x 1
  12. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I honestly like the painted aero covers better! Perhaps it is just the camera angle, but the front wheel looks bigger, beefier, and appears to fill up the wheel well better. I'm saving this picture to my file. Thanks.

13. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I'm surprised but i like the plasti dip more. I think. Can someone Photoshop it so that both wheels are plasti dipped?

14. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Already done by Derick Kessler

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      176.9 KB
      Views:
    • Informative x 1
  15. FoghornLeghorn

@AMIYY4YOU - So you put the black PlastiDip on the whole cover, then cover the black spokes and paint the uncovered spokes w/ Metalizer? Is that the process

16. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

yep!

17. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Actually really happy with how this came out.. Starting to grow on me more and more.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

The idea is wonderful.
    I would like the silver to be less shiny and the 'feet' of each arm make the entire design a little too swastika-y for me

With a little tweaking, I would stand in line to buy it since the OEM is very much not to my liking.

19. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I really liked this and tried it this weekend. Ordered the wheel kit from dipyourcar.com, watched tons of videos on how to apply it, followed all directions to the letter.

Ended in total failure.

As soon as I pulled up the masking tape after getting all the required coats of the aluminum metallizer on the spokes, it immediately peeled up the black Plasti-Dip underneath.

No saving it at this point, will just have to peel everything off. Probably won't try this again, I spent hours getting set up for it, several hours getting the initial coats of black down, and nearly a full afternoon taping the masks in preparation for the aluminum metallizer. It looks very simple, but it's a lot of hours of work.

Quite disappointed, I was really looking forward to having this on the car.

[​IMG]
    Initial Aero wheel cover.

[​IMG]
    First 50% coverage black coat.

[​IMG]
    Several black coats.

[​IMG]
    Masking of black areas.

[​IMG]
    4 coats aliminum metallizer.

[​IMG]
    Disaster.