Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing iPhone music in a 2020 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am I doing wrong? I select the iPhone as music source from the center console, and up pops two buttons:

iPhone
Add Device

My iPhone is already married successfully to the car, but when I select iPhone it does nothing.
I also have a Samsung Note 10 that I don't know how to use (gift) if Android makes it easier.

I would use a USB stick, but the 2020 MX has only one available USB data port. I want to use that for Dashcam.

On your phone, then, you need to start playing. You should see your car listed as a bluetooth device on the phone.

The car doesn't really control the phone; it's just an output device. It can, however, do simple things like skip tracks, and show you what's currently playing.

Reactions: MXLRplus
my biggest gripe about the Tesla infotainment is how bad their bluetooth is. The recent update (2020.8.1) adding the delay to grabbing the phone was great, but they should just support wireless Android Auto/Carplay and call it a day.

I wasn't going to stir the pot, but I was forced to drive a 2006 car recently, and it has better cellphone integration for music.

I ended up learning how to use Spotify, made a few playlists, and will give that a go.

Please confirm for me that the 2020 MX has only one (1) USB port for data. I just ordered MX and I need to know if they have changed the configuration under the flip door, rear center console. My 2017 MX had two (2) USB Ports. I utilized them for music flash drives, keep in mind the 2017(January build) did not have a front facing camera, so no sentry mode. I have purchased a Samsung T5 SSD drive to use for 2020 MX sentry mode and planned to use the other USB port for my music flash drives. Do you see a problem? Thanks...

Please confirm for me that the 2020 MX has only one (1) USB port for data. I just ordered MX and I need to know if they have changed the configuration under the flip door, rear center console. My 2017 MX had two (2) USB Ports. I utilized them for music flash drives, keep in mind the 2017(January build) did not have a front facing camera, so no sentry mode. I have purchased a Samsung T5 SSD drive to use for 2020 MX sentry mode and planned to use the other USB port for my music flash drives. Do you see a problem? Thanks...

The driver's side one is used by the wireless charger. I suppose if you have no need for wireless charging, you have 2 data ports. I'm going to try and use a 6" USB extension and plug the wireless charger into the cigar lighter so I have an extra USB port.

So it still has two, but they cheezed out on the wireless install.

does Spotify display album or song artwork on the screen?
Yes, both on the dash and center.

I kind of dig Spotify now. I thought it would be lame. But on my PC, I went to Create Playlist, and named it All-Rock, and it suggests songs and you can look at hundreds of titles by hitting more. So I made a Rock Mix of 150 songs in 15 minutes at work (shuuush!) and it was there for my drive home in my car! Love it. Almost as good as Carplay.

Reactions: KerryOH
Yes, both on the dash and center.

I kind of dig Spotify now. I thought it would be lame. But on my PC, I went to Create Playlist, and named it All-Rock, and it suggests songs and you can look at hundreds of titles by hitting more. So I made a Rock Mix of 150 songs in 15 minutes at work (shuuush!) and it was there for my drive home in my car! Love it. Almost as good as Carplay.

sweet........I may give it a try
Thank you