Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please give the Model 3 CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do. They are at best operating break-even on SC over the longterm, and if they could count on other charging sources to delay the capital outlay for a new SC, or maintenance on the SC worn with use, then they are indeed better off.

The most likely reason is that it is a tough engineering task to get the software ready for primetime and they've had other priorities ahead of it for people that have the required knowledge and skillset for this software task (who you likely won't find in the Fart Department). Like V3 charging and the pre-heat charging speed improvements.

They've collected plenty of telemetrics from Model 3 packs, and know exactly what it can and can't handle. It's a simple checkbox in the software at this point, to enable the electronic handshake between a CHAdeMO charging station and the car.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
It looks like I didn't say it yet in this thread, but I've said it elsewhere.
CHAdeMO is required to sell an electric car in Japan. I am pretty sure that by the time Model 3 arrives in Japan for customer delivery, there will be a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with the Model 3 and the North American Tesla charge port. The easiest path is to enable the existing 125A CHAdeMO adapter that works with Model S & X. However, people have seen prototypes of higher power CHAdeMO adapters in testing actually charging a Tesla vehicle from a prototype high power CHAdeMO charger.

The progress with CCS on Model 3 in Europe and the CCS adapter for Model S & X also indicates to me that a North American CCS adapter is also likely. Tesla even said that Tesla will support "all compelling charging networks". This means to me that CCS is an eventuality in North America.

Reactions: israndy
Tesla even said that Tesla will support "all compelling charging networks". This means to me that CCS is an eventuality in North America.
In how many years? Decades? :) It made sense in Europe because CCS is real there, and physically a better adaptor in a technical sense than the NA version of CCS, with rather sizable charger coverage. The coverage not only complements the SC network but the raw coverage even eclipses SC to a degree. In North America it is the polar opposite, in the extreme.

Frankly that standard of "compelling" doesn't include Chademo at this point, either. Given that Chademo in the US is nothing but a shell front for Nissan, its future here hangs on the Leaf and that's not a good place to be hanging from. We aren't going to be seeing those next gen Chademo based charging stations here.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
Frankly that standard of "compelling" doesn't include Chademo at this point, either. Given that Chademo in the US is nothing but a shell front for Nissan, its future here hangs on the Leaf and that's not a good place to be hanging from. We aren't going to be seeing those next gen Chademo based charging stations here.
That is my take as well.
If Nissan wants to stay in the game in Europe they are going to have to switch to Type 2 CCS for that market just like Tesla. However, that does not easily or cheaply translate into Type I CCS in N. America so like Tesla each has stuck with their legacy adapters. The difference of course is that Americans love the Tesla adapter while Americans are sold a check box when it comes to CHAdeMO.

The other issue (besides CHAdeMO in Japan influencing decisions) is that Tesla is willing to upgrade its network to the cable flavor of the day while Nissan has no such motivation or even ability.

That is my take as well.
If Nissan wants to stay in the game in Europe they are going to have to switch to Type 2 CCS for that market just like Tesla. However, that does not easily or cheaply translate into Type I CCS in N. America so like Tesla each has stuck with their legacy adapters. The difference of course is that Americans love the Tesla adapter while Americans are sold a check box when it comes to CHAdeMO.

The other issue (besides CHAdeMO in Japan influencing decisions) is that Tesla is willing to upgrade its network to the cable flavor of the day while Nissan has no such motivation or even ability.

CHAdeMO will not meet the "compelling" standard in North America. Ever. CHAdeMO will be supported because it is mandatory in Japan.

However, the fact that the Model 3 has a native CCS charge port in Europe and Model S & X are now being built to support a passive adapter means to me that Tesla can support a passive CCS adapter in North America as well. I used the term "eventuality" above because I didn't expect it to happen soon. I would guess that by the end of 2020 the CCS infrastructure in North America will be compelling and Tesla will release an adapter so that all Model 3's and S & X built after May 2019 will support a passive adapter. Earlier Model S & X will require a retrofit ECU to support CCS just like they do in Europe.

I want CHADeMO charging because I have a left over adaptor for when I owned an S. I'd take CCS. In a way, I don't care. I'd just like to have the option to use other fast charging options where I don't need 150 Kw Supercharging speed, and yet not bound to using crappy J1772.

Reactions: KJD
I'd just like to have the option to use other fast charging options where I don't need 150 Kw Supercharging speed, and yet not bound to using crappy J1772.
Has anyone an inkling as to WHY there is no Chademo on TM3? If there is a new Chademo coming for Japan and they didn't want us buying the crappy old 50kW version for $600 only to have one come out that didn't work on the S/X, I get it. But it's coming up on 2 years w/o Chademo for ONLY the TM3. I'm starting to take it personally. (not that I have personally had a TM3 for 2 years yet)

-Randy

Reactions: cwmagui
Every so often I like to take my Rav4 on a trip past 100 miles. It charges on Chadmeo. Most places only have 1-2 Chadmeo plugs, if there were a Tesla using it for 2+ hours I would be screwed. Luckily there is an abundance of Superchargers in the Bay Area and only once have I seen a Model S using a Chadmeo plug. Unfortunately I have seen many Tesla cars in the spots enjoying the convenient parking.

slightly off topic: chademo could have been more prevalent if at at minimum the Japanese automakers embraced them more readily. Instead we have Toyota pushing PHEVs and saying Hydrogen is the way forward and making fun of EVs, and only Nissan creating a compelling EV (the leaf). there's other things that they could have done (using less space with AC/DC combo ala CCS, 3ph support, smaller connector, etc.), but sometimes its more about being first than being best.

on topic: could another option be for Japan that Tesla builds in the Chademo hardware (like what CCS does) and changes to a passive adapter (instead of the more active one)? then for America I guess they could build in the CCS hardware and offer the passive adapter for CCS charging.

a more exotic option is to just build in the Chademo plug into the car but that would not work well with the supercharger network as then you'll need DC switching support between the two ports.

Reactions: hiroshiy
In how many years? Decades? :) It made sense in Europe because CCS is real there, and physically a better adaptor in a technical sense than the NA version of CCS, with rather sizable charger coverage. The coverage not only complements the SC network but the raw coverage even eclipses SC to a degree. In North America it is the polar opposite, in the extreme.

Chademo is very common in Canada. There is Chademo all the way across Trans-Canada, but no Tesla Superchargers for over 3000 km between Calgary and Sudbury. Pretty compelling I think.

Chademo is very common in Canada. There is Chademo all the way across Trans-Canada, but no Tesla Superchargers for over 3000 km between Calgary and Sudbury. Pretty compelling I think.
Really? I don't see any active CHAdeMO chargers on Plugshare between Calgary and Winnipeg. I see an 814 mile gap there. Sure, there are proposed chargers at a bunch of Petro Canada and Canadian Tire locations, but they're not installed and active yet.

Really? I don't see any active CHAdeMO chargers on Plugshare between Calgary and Winnipeg. I see an 814 mile gap there. Sure, there are proposed chargers at a bunch of Petro Canada and Canadian Tire locations, but they're not installed and active yet.

Medicine Hat and Regina. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than zero Superchargers. Gotta spend the night somewhere to recharge at least once, probably more since Chademo is pretty slow. No one is driving 800+ miles in an EV in a single day anyway.

Eastern Canada (East of Quebec City) is pretty sparse for Superchargers, too, but there are some Chademos there.

• Disagree
Reactions: miimura
Recently took my 3 to the Chilcotin in central BC, 800 kms from Vancouver. Went from Hope SC to Williams Lake 400 kms. Population of Williams Lake and area 25,000, One level 2 charger working, no fast chargers. Charged to 80%, 11 hours 55 minutes. Nearest SC in Kamloops 300 km away. Only other fast chargers in BC, which is larger than CA, OR and WA combined, are provided by the utility monopoly, 35 cents a kWh. No BC Hydro fast charger in Williams Lake so staying a day in Williams Lake seems like the only option. The BC Hydro fast chargers have 2 plugs CCS and Chademo but only charge one car at a time. BC Hydro told me that the M3 is not compatible with BC Hydro fast chager if if you have a CCS or Chademo adapter. If Williams Lake gets a BC Hydro fast charger that charges just one car that won't work well if 3 cars are waiting. Without a SC the M3 seems very difficult. Calls and emails to Tesla were not returned??

For some definition of "common", which is to say the bar is crazy low for "common" in Canada still. When Destination Charging is a plausible, dirt cheap stand-in for CHAdeMO, and its only real future growth is a single compliance checkmark 50kW cord tacked onto Electrify Canada etc stations (I assume like EA, where you're actually competing with CCS vehicles for use of it?), that doesn't sound all that "compelling" to me.

It may eventually get tossed in on the Model 3 as a side-effect of development for Japan, so "compelling" in "well I guess we've mostly done the work anyway, just need to go through the regulations motions for Canada/US, please send us $450 for the
adaptor" way? Ug.

Last edited:
Medicine Hat and Regina. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than zero Superchargers. Gotta spend the night somewhere to recharge at least once, probably more since Chademo is pretty slow. No one is driving 800+ miles in an EV in a single day anyway.

Eastern Canada (East of Quebec City) is pretty sparse for Superchargers, too, but there are some Chademos there.
Well, it is not too bad east of Quebec.
Rivière du loup, Saint Léonard NB, Fredericton, Amherst, so you can drive all the way to Halifax on Superchargers now. Plus Woodstock NB, Moncton, and Halifax are being built, check the forum.