Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

Should this be covered under warranty as it can’t be a wear item if unserviceable??

• Yes

Votes: 113 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to derail this thread but it won’t be hard to guess the 3 people who voted no, they are the same people who continuously back tesla regardless of the facts.

Are you referring to the 3 people here who would somehow justify and make excuses if the drivetrain warranty started excluding the actual drivetrain? :p I bet, they'd say something like how the drivetrain warranty is obviously only valid when the car was sold new and it was working properly and how you can't possibly expect the drivetrain warranty to cover anything that happens to the drivetrain from driving the car, as that would obviously be wear and tear :p:eek::rolleyes:

Obviously the warranty excludes anything that can happen from driving the car, as that is wear and tear. o_Oo_Oo_O

I’m sure this is a silly question. BUT isn’t an axle seal not connected to the DU? I had my front axle seals replaced under warranty when I had the death rattle fixed a few weeks ago. (I am however still under the warranty period)
It is, but more importantly, is shown by engineering data, DWG/PL, to be part of the DU. Seals are not part of the drive shaft or any other part of the car. If you order a DU, it will come with seals. If the seals fail, the are covered under the drive train warranty which includes the DU.

Got it back from service was solid until I hit the slightest bump. Had to go back, explained rear felt loose they chuckled and we went for a test drive. Techs face was red after a few bumps and went back in to find they didn’t bolt the stabilizer link down. Woke up this morning in the cold, got warnings that car may need service and acceleration and top speed reduced. Last night saw it said low voltage for a split second. Today when backing out of a parking spot drive beeped and would not go. Put in park and tried again and it worked. Columbus SC thinks it’s the battery heater. Thoughts?

Got it back from service was solid until I hit the slightest bump. Had to go back, explained rear felt loose they chuckled and we went for a test drive. Techs face was red after a few bumps and went back in to find they didn’t bolt the stabilizer link down. Woke up this morning in the cold, got warnings that car may need service and acceleration and top speed reduced. Last night saw it said low voltage for a split second. Today when backing out of a parking spot drive beeped and would not go. Put in park and tried again and it worked. Columbus SC thinks it’s the battery heater. Thoughts?

I recently had the "Car needs service...," "Acceleration and top speed reduced," and "Regenerative braking system disabled." I limped it to my local SC and the logs indicated that I needed to replace the drive unit, HV contactors, HVAC drain hose, and they replaced the 12V all under warranty.

Car is a Nov 2013 built S85 w/ 88K miles on it. Bought it in Jan 2019 w/ 59K miles on it and I'm grateful for the warranty. Both the drive unit and contactors were the original and both parts have been revised over the years, so I'm hoping this won't be a reoccurring issue for at least another 6-12 years...I'm sure there will be other issues though.

Are you referring to the 3 people here who would somehow justify and make excuses if the drivetrain warranty started excluding the actual drivetrain? :p

I certainly agree that the seals should be part of the drive unit, but... regarding your quote, there is no 'drivetrain warranty'. Tesla only have a 'Drive Unit Limited Warranty' after you get beyond the original whole vehicle warranty, so whatever they determine to be the 'Drive Unit' is where the warranty ends. I don't see why it shouldn't include the seals, but that is about as far as that warranty extends.

Last edited:
I recently had the "Car needs service...," "Acceleration and top speed reduced," and "Regenerative braking system disabled." I limped it to my local SC and the logs indicated that I needed to replace the drive unit, HV contactors, HVAC drain hose, and they replaced the 12V all under warranty.

Car is a Nov 2013 built S85 w/ 88K miles on it. Bought it in Jan 2019 w/ 59K miles on it and I'm grateful for the warranty. Both the drive unit and contactors were the original and both parts have been revised over the years, so I'm hoping this won't be a reoccurring issue for at least another 6-12 years...I'm sure there will be other issues though.

A bit off topic but good to know the 12V batteries are covered under warranty.

Does the ESA cover the 12V battery as well? I guess the ESA deductible would make that a bit moot unless you combine that visit with other issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
A bit off topic but good to know the 12V batteries are covered under warranty.

Does the ESA cover the 12V battery as well? I guess the ESA deductible would make that a bit moot unless you combine that visit with other issues.

I don't think the 12V batteries are covered under warranty per se, unless the 12V battery is defective and/or Tesla SC will do it under goodwill. In my case, I had the used car for just under 1 year and either they deemed the 12V battery in need of replacement or the faulty HV contactors compromised the 12V battery. From what I understand there are contactors from the HV battery to the 12V battery (this connection recharges the 12V battery the way a belt-driven alternator would), and there are contactors from the HV battery to the inverter.

Was it a pump seal for the transmission or the rear main seal on the engine

He didn't say but if it's FWD, there is no rear main seal. I just replaced the clutch on my Mom's Yaris last year. Had to support the engine and use a transmission jack to remove the transmission completely to do the clutch. It took about 4 hours for me since I'm not a professional. I can't imagine how a seal leak would cost $2700 unless it was an engine oil leak requiring removal of the engine. Even then, $2700 would be steep.

It was a 2007 FJ Cruiser, they had to remove the 1/4 stainless skid plates, the tranny, and some seal between the engine and the tranny, if I find the receipt I will post it. It felt like a total scam, but they looked at the truck and saw $50K in aftermarket stuff and figured, lets give this try, service writer made his commission for the week off me.

Hi, I got a "Acceleration reduced" warning light.
my 2013 MS with 48,300 miles is scheduled for service at Augorahills,CA. They sent me an invoice for $1200, in it they have mentioned the need to replace contactors and pyro fuse in the hv battery. My question is, did you have to pay for your service to get the contactors replaced. I thought the battery warranty is for 8 yrs. Please advise and thanks !

my 2013 MS with 48,300 miles is scheduled for service at Augorahills,CA. They sent me an invoice for $1200, in it they have mentioned the need to replace contactors and pyro fuse in the hv battery. My question is, did you have to pay for your service to get the contactors replaced. I thought the battery warranty is for 8 yrs. Please advise and thanks !

They replaced mine free under warranty. My general warranty has 11 months/9K miles left on it, while the battery/drive unit should be good through November 2021. Here's the note on my service papers:

Concern: During diagnosis found alerts present for "contactor impedance". Recommending to replace the high voltage
contactors.

During service, found that there were alerts for contactor impedance. Found that this alert was being caused by a
mechanical failure of the contactors in the high voltage pack. Replaced the HVAC drain hose with the updated part. Took
vehicle on a test drive to break in the contactors. Replaced the contactors and pyrotechnic fuse. Inspected logs, and
verified the alert is no longer present a this time.

Correction: Pack Contactor - Update and Decertify