Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLEASE HELP MODEL S WONT START

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3327.jpeg
i was driving my 2012 model s around during work and all of these popped up i just recently had the 12v battery replaced so im confused why im getting error codes for it

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpeg
    IMG_3326.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 9
Solution
if i were to get all the errors fixed by tesla how much do you think they would quote me since i am out of warranty

Like @brainhouston already mentioned a few times the car throws a external isolation fault so at this point any HV component or wire could be faulty except what is behind the contactors in HV batt. Your car need further diagnose about what is causing this ext iso fault.

So I think you need an iso meter and learn some basics on HV diagnosis or bring the car to Tesla or any other EV repair shop.
what exactly does that mean and what caused that
Large Drive Units are known for leaking coolant seal that destroys the inverter/stator n u get isolation errors

also i just recently had my motor replaced
Check ur invoice, if u got -U version, then u should have rotor coolant bypass version n those are not gonna leak
U might have other issue like bad battery heater

If its any other reman unit, they're not very robust n fail too

if ur curious:

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
with BMS errors, contactors won't close so none of HV components will work
including ur 12v support so u should probably put 12v on charger/trickle if u haven't done it yet, it will die quick
i’m pretty sure it’s dead and when i spoke to tesla they said i should be using a lead acid battery but when i originally had an issue i had switched to the lithium ion battery bc that’s what i was seeing online from ppl replacing the ones they had

Upvote 0
i’m pretty sure it’s dead and when i spoke to tesla they said i should be using a lead acid battery but when i originally had an issue i had switched to the lithium ion battery bc that’s what i was seeing online from ppl replacing the ones they had
yes officially its lead-acid, ppl been using li-ion but i think software is not properly set up to handle it...

Upvote 0
ok that makes sense so i got the car towed home and noticed the battery was loose could tightening it down fix everything or is there lingering issues i should be looking at

Problems with the 12v battery cause all kinds of problems and generate all kind of alerts. If tightening it down solved the problems you should be fine. BUT, you really should be using a 12v lead-acid battery and you should get that from Tesla parts. At the very least it will take the LV battery out of the equation .

Parts Catalog

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree root cause is the 12V battery. How old is it? If it is lithium, contact the manufacturer.

DI_u014_notOkToStartDrive
The Drive Inverter has detected that the 12V battery is not being adequately supported by the vehicle, which means the vehicle might lose 12V power while being driven.

To set this condition, one of the following must occur:
  • The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) current is < 0A.
  • The IBS voltage is < 12.9V.
  • The GTW_12VState signal is in one of the following:
    • DCDC_NOT_ENABLING
    • 12V_NOT_SUPPORTED
    • BMS_MIA
    • FAULT_WAKE
    • DCDC_RETRY

Upvote 0
I agree root cause is the 12V battery. How old is it? If it is lithium, contact the manufacturer.

DI_u014_notOkToStartDrive
The Drive Inverter has detected that the 12V battery is not being adequately supported by the vehicle, which means the vehicle might lose 12V power while being driven.

To set this condition, one of the following must occur:
  • The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) current is < 0A.
  • The IBS voltage is < 12.9V.
  • The GTW_12VState signal is in one of the following:
    • DCDC_NOT_ENABLING
    • 12V_NOT_SUPPORTED
    • BMS_MIA
    • FAULT_WAKE
    • DCDC_RETRY
if i were to get all the errors fixed by tesla how much do you think they would quote me since i am out of warranty

Upvote 0

Like @brainhouston already mentioned a few times the car throws a external isolation fault so at this point any HV component or wire could be faulty except what is behind the contactors in HV batt. Your car need further diagnose about what is causing this ext iso fault.

So I think you need an iso meter and learn some basics on HV diagnosis or bring the car to Tesla or any other EV repair shop.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Solution