Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help! MYP is 9 days old, A/C stopped working properly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please help, finally picked up my MYP, 9 days later the A/C has stopped working properly. The AC Temp is set to “low” and the fan is set at max speed (10). The AC blows out warm air, then completely stops blowing air, then blows out warm air again, continuing this cycle during the drive. The whole time the AC screen shows the A/C settings are the same and working. I’m in Texas & It wasn’t that hot this week as previous weeks , but this cycle caused myself and the kids to break out in a sweat. It’s suffocating when there’s no air circulating and warm air blowing inside, when the temp is 100F outside. We tried resetting, and it still continued the next day. The car is 9 days old and I’m so upset and worried we made the mistake of purchasing this car.
I tried scheduling service but it was 2 weeks out, so I texted customer service and they were able to take the car the next day, but couldn’t offer any loaners. When we got to the service center they said it would take at least a week or more as they were short staffed. They were obviously busy, so they didn’t seem to care that the car is practically brand new and doesn’t have working A/C. My family waited and saved up for this car so I’m extremely worried, upset, and disappointed that a brand new car in this price range would be giving me such issues at 9 days old. The response from service isn’t what I expected either, considering it’s a fairly new car. So now I don’t have a car for at least a week or two,,, so worried that this is just the beginning of issues and a bad car. Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have any advice. Thank-you in advance!!!

Thanks for the advice, I just wasn’t expecting this (A/C issues) to happen so early on. Not sure what to do, just worried. Wouldn’t know what car to move on to, been driving a Camry for 10 years with no issues. Would have been nice if I could have gotten a loaner or rental from them, but didn’t know it wasn’t something they offer. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I just wasn’t expecting this (A/C issues) to happen so early on. Not sure what to do, just worried. Wouldn’t know what car to move on to, been driving a Camry for 10 years with no issues. Would have been nice if I could have gotten a loaner or rental from them, but didn’t know it wasn’t something they offer. Thanks!

The service was quite good when Tesla was poor, and the customers were few. It goes downhill when it got more customers and has earned profits.

It used to offer free loaners universally, but now it's up to each Service Center. Some still do, and some would give you Uber credits... Please use the app and ask for a car loaner to see what they offer.

Tesla's Service timeliness has been a challenge since the early days. Tesla has acknowledged the issue and has decided to improve several times. However, there has been no improvement as you can see that they are short-staffed.

When I had gasoline cars with Ford and Toyota, their repairs were much quicker than Tesla.

If I want quicker car repairs, I will not choose Tesla again despite their improvement attempts.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
You could try to ask another Tesla service center (if you have more than one in your area). Maybe another center is not as busy and has a loaner? Otherwise, just wait and they should fix the problem. One issue doesn't mean you got a bad car.
Thank-you, we have messaged through the app for a loaner or rental, hopefully this will be the only issue, as the family really enjoys the Tesla.

The service was quite good when Tesla was poor, and the customers were few. It goes downhill when it got more customers and has earned profits.

It used to offer free loaners universally, but now it's up to each Service Center. Some still do, and some would give you Uber credits... Please use the app and ask for a car loaner to see what they offer.

Tesla's Service timeliness has been a challenge since the early days. Tesla has acknowledged the issue and has decided to improve several times. However, there has been no improvement as you can see that they are short-staffed.

When I had gasoline cars with Ford and Toyota, their repairs were much quicker than Tesla.

If I want quicker car repairs, I will not choose Tesla again despite their improvement attempts.
Thanks for the update, I heard Tesla service was good, but then I read so many bad service stories and now my own experience is just the beginning. I’m sure the staffing shortage doesn’t help the situation. Your right, I’ve seen quicker repairs with other cars, and they offer a loaner when the repairs take longer. Hoping this is just a simple fix, we really like the car itself,,,, at least for the 8 days I drove it. It was nice, except when the screen froze or the car wouldn’t unlock the doors even with the key card and my phone in front of the driver door (service tech said those are normal issues and regardless car is electronic like a phone, screen freeze etc… is normal and not a concern).

Just curious: where are you in Texas? I know the Plano SC always has a large backlog, ditto for the Dallas SC near Love Field. Not sure about FW, but I've read good things about them.
Keep nagging them about a loaner, since Uber credits get complicated if you're taking kids back and forth to school.
As for your AC issues, hopefully it's as simple as a bad sensor.

Make sure that climate control is set to auto (not manual) and use the temp up or down. Sometimes the manual settings are confusing. Also it sometimes takes a minute for air to get cold especially if batteries are hot. Tip: use windshield and roof sunshades to help keep vehicle cooler when parked in the hot sun.

Reactions: Pianewman
...simple fix...

There have been complaints of quality controls, not just cosmetic but also parts. In one case, the A/C failed because there was not enough Freon.

... screen froze...
As long as it resolves itself or with a reboot.

... wouldn’t unlock the doors even with the key card...
So how did you finally get in?

...my phone in front of the driver door..

Phone may not work 100%. You can also turn on NFC in your phone system and it would act like a card.

Just curious: where are you in Texas? I know the Plano SC always has a large backlog, ditto for the Dallas SC near Love Field. Not sure about FW, but I've read good things about them.
Keep nagging them about a loaner, since Uber credits get complicated if you're taking kids back and forth to school.
As for your AC issues, hopefully it's as simple as a bad sensor.
Thank-you we did request again and the reason we really needed it and was able to get from the Fort Worth location. We used Uber to pick up the loaner (I’m in the Arlington area).
Unfortunately this whole Tesla thing has been worrisome/frustrating/upsetting.
The car was fixed 3 days later and was supposedly overcharged with refrigerant. Came to pick up car and the same thing happened. This time a “failure alert” came on the car screen.” We were able to get a service tech to come see the issue since where were in the parking lot. They took it back into service and 4 days later it was a fixed with a new blower. Drove back out there to pick up our car and the same thing happened, no AC even though computer shows it’s blowing at max speed. Once again we called the service tech to come see it, needless to say they kept it to repair again. This is such a inconvenience, with full time jobs and multiple kids, we have to take all the kids with us, change out car seats etc…. And the car isn’t fixed. We are beyond frustrated with a brand new Tesla.

There have been complaints of quality controls, not just cosmetic but also parts. In one case, the A/C failed because there was not enough Freon.

Phone may not work 100%. You can also turn on NFC in your phone system and it would act like a card.

Make sure that climate control is set to auto (not manual) and use the temp up or down. Sometimes the manual settings are confusing. Also it sometimes takes a minute for air to get cold especially if batteries are hot. Tip: use windshield and roof sunshades to help keep vehicle cooler when parked in the hot sun.
Thank-you, at this point the car is being serviced for the 3rd time, same issue, no AC.

Thank-you, I was able to get into the car by walking away from the car, turning off my phone and on again and used the unlock feature on the app ( they gave us a new key). As for the AC issue: 1st time they said it was overcharged with refrigerant and removed the amount. 2nd time they replaced the blower. Now it’s sitting at the service center waiting for the 3rd diagnosis. I’m beyond frustrated and worried. Each time we have gone there, unloaded kids and car seat and sat in the car while we reattached car seat and the AC would fail….so since the first diagnosis the car is sitting at the service center.

Thank-you we did request again and the reason we really needed it and was able to get from the Fort Worth location. We used Uber to pick up the loaner (I’m in the Arlington area).
Unfortunately this whole Tesla thing has been worrisome/frustrating/upsetting.
The car was fixed 3 days later and was supposedly overcharged with refrigerant. Came to pick up car and the same thing happened. This time a “failure alert” came on the car screen.” We were able to get a service tech to come see the issue since where were in the parking lot. They took it back into service and 4 days later it was a fixed with a new blower. Drove back out there to pick up our car and the same thing happened, no AC even though computer shows it’s blowing at max speed. Once again we called the service tech to come see it, needless to say they kept it to repair again. This is such a inconvenience, with full time jobs and multiple kids, we have to take all the kids with us, change out car seats etc…. And the car isn’t fixed. We are beyond frustrated with a brand new Tesla.
Wow, that sounds terrible. I guess if the issue isn't corrected after three tries, maybe start looking into your state's lemon law? Also, don't they test this stuff before having you pickup the car? Seems like they would have caught it if they did any testing since you found the issue right at the parking lot each time.

Reactions: TomServo
Thank-you, they are attempting to fix it for the 3rd time, hopefully third times a charm.
If they don't fix again then I think you qualify for Lemon law.
"(1) a repair is attempted three or more times for the same substantial defect (at least two of the repair attempts must be by the same dealer or the manufacturer);"