Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please List Model 3 PERFORMANCE track times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a blast tracking my P3D with a 718 Cayman GTS today at Buttonwillow and the two cars were super evenly matched. We both ended up running 2:07's but it was super cool to see how the P3D had the power advantage and could pull away on straights, but then the Cayman could catch back up in the corners. These cars are relatively equal in MSRP (Tesla is a bit cheaper), so it seems like a great comparison.

Now to find 7 more seconds so i can catch up to @Odiemac... :D

So Kbecks, what do you think of this option? I'm going to order - just to drop all that unsprung weight it seems like a reasonable deal - to get that much weight reduction, forged wheels would be the only other way, and if you put those together, you could drop ~60-70 lbs. Wonder if they would also help with your brake overheating issues? What do you think?

So Kbecks, what do you think of this option? I'm going to order

Interesting! They aren't much bigger than the stock rotors though (both are 355 front and 335 rear), but they are 1mm thicker which will give you slightly more mass to absorb heat and slightly more time before brakes would overheat. So from a braking standpoint, these likely won't have a huge effect on preventing brake fade - but they do seem to be quite a bit lighter which has it's benefits as you mention. I haven't seen anyone use these yet, but it might be a great option once i burn through my current OEM rotors :D

Interesting! They aren't much bigger than the stock rotors though (both are 355 front and 335 rear), but they are 1mm thicker which will give you slightly more mass to absorb heat and slightly more time before brakes would overheat. So from a braking standpoint, these likely won't have a huge effect on preventing brake fade - but they do seem to be quite a bit lighter which has it's benefits as you mention. I haven't seen anyone use these yet, but it might be a great option once i burn through my current OEM rotors :D
I was hoping you would dig into the literature on their website. They're claiming actually improved Cooling. Of course there are claims and then there are facts. In any case they are claiming better heat dissipation from what they are calling convergent vane design?. What do you think?

Plus I just confirmed that they do have the rotor blanks that can be replaced saving you some significant cash over the one piece rotor and rotor hat assembly. I'm going to confirm fitment guarantee with the website and if they check that box which of course they should I'm going to pick up a pair front and rear. Looks like an ideal setup for someone like you racing and going through brake rotors quickly.

Had a blast tracking my P3D with a 718 Cayman GTS today at Buttonwillow and the two cars were super evenly matched. We both ended up running 2:07's but it was super cool to see how the P3D had the power advantage and could pull away on straights, but then the Cayman could catch back up in the corners. These cars are relatively equal in MSRP (Tesla is a bit cheaper), so it seems like a great comparison.

Now to find 7 more seconds so i can catch up to @Odiemac... :D

@kbecks13, thanks to you I got my new personal best today at Buttonwillow. My best was only 2:11.3 for the first 3 sessions (had a big oversteer and lost control in session 2 and I got spooked) and then I saw your video doing a 2:07. That got me motivated so I studied Sasha's and Cameron's run during break and cleaned up my line. On the 4th session finally got 2:06.9 on a clean run. I noticed some segments you're still faster than me so there is definitely some more room for improvement.

that got me motivated so I studied Sasha's and Cameron's run during break and cleaned up my line.

Congrats! That's exactly how i improved as well :D I would strongly recommend that anyone tracking their car watch some videos of others (even non-Tesla's) on the same track to better understand the racing line.

Tesla Corsa will be a ton of fun next month, can't wait to race together!

The modded 3P he drove was @kbecks13's car with coilovers, carbon ceramic front rotors, wheels, street tires, aero and a number of other go-fast bits. Some of that was provided by UP specifically for testing. To be frank, it seems awkward that it didn't go faster as it'd take about $20k to replicate all the mods.

Yes, I would have bet that just the 265/35 RE71s would be worth ~ 2 secs. To pick up only 3 secs is a big surprise. Unless the 'stock' DMP+ was also getting track tires and pads. If so, that would make a lot more sense.

The modded 3P he drove was @kbecks13's car with coilovers, carbon ceramic front rotors, wheels, street tires, aero and a number of other go-fast bits. Some of that was provided by UP specifically for testing. To be frank, it seems awkward that it didn't go faster as it'd take about $20k to replicate all the mods.

Do we know which Buttonwillow configuration that was run on? Is it Buttonwillow 13? If so, those are still fantastic times, given this listing here of fastest times.

Yea we were surprised and were expecting a 1:55 or so, Randy himself thought that was doable. The traction control/track mode was being overbearing and we suspect it may have been due to the carbon ceramics throwing off the "balance" of the system, not positive yet.

Yes, I would have bet that just the 265/35 RE71s would be worth ~ 2 secs.

Were using Cup 2 tires, which it seems are actually a bit slower than RE71s - but yea should be more than 3 seconds.

Do we know which Buttonwillow configuration that was run on? Is it Buttonwillow 13? If so, those are still fantastic times, given this listing here of fastest times.

Yes, CW 13

Reactions: Zoomit
Yea we were surprised and were expecting a 1:55 or so, Randy himself thought that was doable. The traction control/track mode was being overbearing and we suspect it may have been due to the carbon ceramics throwing off the "balance" of the system, not positive yet.

Were using Cup 2 tires, which it seems are actually a bit slower than RE71s - but yea should be more than 3 seconds.

Yes, CW 13

Those are still just amazing times! If he had hit 1:55, he'd be beating a McLaren 570S and a Nissan GT-R, so perhaps that's not quite a doable target without a bit more power? Still, your car was faster than a 911 GT2. Interesting about the possible downsides of CC brakes . . . .would you put the stock calipers back on and the RE71s and have him run some more laps? If the CC brakes don't play nice with track mode, perhaps there's not a lot that can be done to fix that? Also, can you feel the difference of the 5% power boost in recent firmware update?

Also, the stock time of 2:01, was that bone stock, with 4S tires and just track mode? If so, also amazing.

Still, your car was faster than a 911 GT2. Interesting about the possible downsides of CC brakes . . . .would you put the stock calipers back on and the RE71s and have him run some more laps? If the CC brakes don't play nice with track mode, perhaps there's not a lot that can be done to fix that?

We'll probably be doing some more testing, there were a TON of mods on the car at one time so it's hard to nail down exactly what might've been causing problems. Another idea is maybe the stiffer sway bars, still too early to say just yet - but Randy was definitely complaining about losing power and feeling the brakes grabbing various corners/tires at times. Not a huge problem as he still managed a 1:58, but he felt that was holding the car back slightly.

Also, the stock time of 2:01, was that bone stock, with 4S tires and just track mode? If so, also amazing.

Yup, totally stock. Randy is amazing like that! Someone also managed a 2:06.7 in a RWD with minor mods, which is also super impressive.

Reactions: dfwatt
...Yup, totally stock. Randy is amazing like that! Someone also managed a 2:06.7 in a RWD with minor mods, which is also super impressive.

There's a reason Randy has won the 24 hours of Daytona plus multiple other Championships - that guy is GOOD! :cool:

The average driver would be several seconds slower, so his time isn't really directly comparable to what's shown on fastestlaps...

All that said, the Model 3P is clearly very capable on track!

There's a reason Randy has won the 24 hours of Daytona plus multiple other Championships - that guy is GOOD! :cool:

The average driver would be several seconds slower, so his time isn't really directly comparable to what's shown on fastestlaps...

All that said, the Model 3P is clearly very capable on track!

I don't think guys posting fastest laps and driving McLaren's and GTRs are Weekend Warriors? Indeed Randy himself has a bunch of results on fastest laps so I'm not sure what your basis is for concluding that the lap times are somehow not reflective of the best or close to the best a given car can do?