TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Please post towing scenarios from experience

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EcoHeliGuy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

It would be interesting for members to post towing scenarios that they have had with the Model X.

Frontal area of a trailer and weight will have huge effects, but tandem axles should also effect energy usage.

I would be interested in what owners have towed (I know at the moment the only a couple have) and what the results are.

Small airstreams, single axle inclosed trailers. Tandem flat decks ect will all have varying results.

2. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

2.5 miles, 4.9kWh, 1976Wh/mi
    1.jpg
    Truck Yeah! One more day the Tundra does not need to burn gasoline. Also easier to do with a more gentle tug to start and camera helps position the rig just right,

• Funny x 5
  3. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

This is a classic picture. Luxury people mover multi-tasking as a farm implement.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. MikeL

MikeL some guy

That's my new favorite picture. :) The one that just became my new avatar after 3 yrs comes in a close second;) towing pics (19' outboard runabout) will show up here eventually.

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

I tow a 7'x10' single axle open landscape trailer periodically with various loads (currently full of stuff that needs to go to the dump) that I'll post pictures and details of... in a few months when I actually have my X!

6. mblanshard

mblanshard Member

Well since you can get a tax credit meant for farm equipment why not

• Funny x 1
  7. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Question: the X only has a 7 pin wiring harness, right? I've yet to see a clear picture of it. Does it face straight down, being hidden behind the bumper? My trailer is a 4-pin, so I'm wondering if an adapter like http://amzn.com/B000CPI6VI will not work out well because it will be too close to the ground.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

upload_2016-5-6_17-21-39.png

Can't wait to get some longer range experience (on smaller wheels)!

• Like x 3
  9. ABCD

ABCD Member

That adapter will work fine, it's the same one I use to connect my boat trailer (21" Sanger V210). The only issue is the plug connector is recessed back a bit (as is the connection point for the safety chains) I had to get about 12" longer cables than what I'd been using on my original tow rig (a GMC Acadia)

10. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait until I get my X. I might need the adapter with a bit of wire between - my wires on my trailer seem to keep getting shorter...

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

So we decided to take a trip up to a campsite/amusement park since the weather cleared up. Didn't get a close enough shot of the dash when we left but I believe we max charged to 244.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The trip was mainly uphill as we had to climb a couple mountain ranges to reach here.

image.jpeg

We are still on 22s. Will see if the trip home is any different

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Waiting for @bonnie to chime in with some pics of her towing her sylvan sport go trailer! :D;)